July 16th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Konnichiwa japanese forumers,
im gonna be in japan for 3 weeks this summer, would be cool if you guys could tell me the best places to get amazing city/skyline views of osaka and tokyo!! Like sykscraper platforms that are open to public etc.!
July 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I lived in Osaka for a year or so and spent some good time in Tokyo. Best places for skyline shots are as follows. They are in no particular order but I think the views of Osaka from the Ferris Wheel at Kaiyukan and the Swisshotel is breathtaking. For 'raw' Osaka get photos of Dotonbori from the Ebisu Bashi bridge in Namba (amazing!). I also highly recommend around Den Den Town at night (better than Akihabara in Tokyo imo) for the best computer game shopping anywhere in the world with an electric atmosphere.
Tokyo has an embarrassment of riches view wise. Apparantly you can see the city whole from Mt Takao on a clear day. The best views of Tokyo are from Shibuya Station walkway at night, the Ginza-4-Chome crossing, the Bunkyo Civic Centre and from Odaiba in the Fuji TV building.
1. WTC Cosmotower, WTC Cosmosquare station
- East looks towards the City
- West looks over the Osaka Bay, Kobe port and Akashi Kaikyo Suspension bridge (superb at sunset)
2. Ebisu-Bashi - the Dotonbori - Osaka at its 'Black Rain/Bladerunner' finest.
3. Umeda Skybuilding, Umeda station
- South looks over Umeda... truly stunning view at night
4. Swisshotel Raffles, Namba station
- Go to the bar at night, dress code smart, prepare to spend about 25 dollars and you'll get a great view over Namba and Umeda into the distance
5. From Kansai International Airport
6. From the railway between Osaka and Nara on the Kintetsu line (take from JR Namba station underground). After about 20 minutes exit from Osaka you climb some of the mountains which surround the city and you get a magnificent panorama of the city.
7. From JR Kyoto station 10th floor you can see Umeda on a clear day.
8. Mount Rokko, Kobe - from here you can see the whole Kobe-Kyoto-Kyoto metropolitan area
1. Bunkyo Civic Centre (free) (Kasuga station) - from here you get the 'classic' Nishi-Shinjuku skyline photo with, if you are incredibly lucky, Mount Fuji behind.
2. Tokyo Metropolitan Government Buildings (free) Nishi-Shinjuku or Shinjuku stations. Fantastic views of Shinjuku from here.
3. Dentsu Building (free) (Shinbashi) - go up early in the morning for a clear view over Tokyo Bay and great views of Ginza and the Imperial Palace.
4. Maranouchi Building (free) Tokyo Station
5. Roppongi Hills Tower (2000 yen) (Roppongi station - includes admission to the wonderful Mori Art Museum - well worth it) The City view is absolutely stunning with a triple height glazed frontage onto the Tokyo Tower. Great view!
6. The New York Bar and Grill (Park Hyatt hotel at the Tokyo Gas Building) - 10 minute walk from Shinjuku station. The lunchtime set dinners here are good value. Reckon on spending north of 100 US dollars if you go here for dinner. It is a majestic view though, and a very special restaurant. The bar is equally good though, with some great Jazz if that is your thing.
Have a great trip mate.
July 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
finally! Thank you so much for your detailed guide, mate :)