February 20th, 2009, 01:26 AM
February 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM
February 20th, 2009, 01:28 AM
February 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
February 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Taiwan city was also called "Imperial Castle", "Chihkan Fort" or "Anping Fort". Built in 1624 by the Dutch and completed in 1634. Its first name was "Orlande City" and later it was re-named as "Fort Zeelandia". Because Chinese people called the Dutch the Red-hair. Therefore they called this Fort as "Castle for the Red Hair". After WWⅡ, it has been called "Anping Fort" until now.
During the period of occupied by the Dutch, this Fort was the capital for the politics and economy. From Ming Dynasty to Cing Dynasty, Anping Fort was no longer important and the government demolished the bricks for other usage.
During the period of Japanese occupation, in order to build the dormitory for the Customs, Anping Fort had been totally destroyed. They built a square ladder-style platform at original location. In the center of the platform, they built a western-style house. That is what we know Anping Fort now.
Over three hundred years passed, today the oldest fort of Taiwan has left us remains of the semi-circular forts, remains of the city wall, watchtower, exhibition and the park for the heritage wall for us.
Remains of the city wall: The southern outer wall is located aside Yong-Han traditional art museum. The height is about 10 meters and the wall was made by red bricks mixed with sticky rice, syrup and oyster shell ash. The bricks with darker color were from Indonesia and the bricks with light color were shipped from Sia-men, Fuchien of China. The scissors shape of concavity on the wall was used to lock the beam to avoid damages from earthquakes and the square cave was dug by Cing's army to put posts while constructing their barracks.
Zeelandia Fort was built in 1624 and finished in 1634.
It had outer wall and inside wall. The inside wall was square shape and had three layers. The first layer was underground as a warehouse. The other two layers were above the ground. There were North gate, East gate and South gate.And in the North gate, it was carved "CASTEEL ZEELDIA GEBOUWED ANNO 1634" on the gate.
In the center of each side of the platform had semispherical fort. The center of semispherical fort had a well. There is a small door with ladders at the north place. It's the entrance to the ammunition depot in the underground. All of this fort was built by the material of sticky rice, syrup, sand and oyster shell ash. The only remains are two semispherical fort fragments and part of the outer wall along the road in front of the fort.