Status
Not open for further replies.

ENGLAND - FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022 bid

292K views 2K replies 236 participants last post by  venki04ss 
#1 ·
England to bid for 2018 World Cup

FA considers 2018 World Cup bid

England last hosted the World Cup in 1966

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick says that England may bid to host the 2018 World Cup after the success of the 2012 Olympics campaign.
He said: "It's right and proper for the London Olympics bid to take precedence but why wouldn't we go for it?

"I think we would bid further down the line. The next time that it should come to Europe is probably 2018 and we have got enough time to get organised."

The FA, who missed out in the 2006 bid, have yet to make any firm decisions.

Next summer's World Cup will be staged in Germany and is not expected to return to Europe for another 12 years.

England hosted the World Cup in 1966 - when the home nation won the tournament - and also staged Euro 96.

But their efforts to host the 2006 World Cup ended in failure, with the English FA accused of breaking an agreement to support Germany after they backed England's Euro 96 campaign.

I considered London 2012 a blow to those hopes but then remembered Germany and America hosting both within a few years of each other

Barwick, meanwhile, is hopeful that England will win next summer's World Cup.

"I see 2006 as a big year for the Football Association. Hopefully we will qualify for the World Cup and give it a real go," he said.

"If and when we qualify, we would go into the World Cup as one of the teams that can win it. It's in the right climate and the right time-zone.

"We have a very good team and are making impressions on European club football too.

"I think we've made progress as an international footballing nation and can be expected to do well. This country will come to a halt if we do."

See less See more
#3 ·
i'm sure the next soccer world cup which will take place in europe will be in england. the other big soccer nations of europe had the world cup finals not long ago (Germany 2006, France 1998, Italy 1990 and Spain 1982). So it'll be corollary that england will make it.

but it's another point if this will happen as early as 2018

2006 Europe
2010 Africa
2014 South America
2018 Europe AGAIN??? i'm not sure. whats about asia, north america, australia,...

but i would prefer england instead of north america or australia because those are not football (soccer) countries but england is.

#5 ·
2006 Europe
2010 Africa
2014 South America
2018 Europe AGAIN??? i'm not sure. whats about asia, north america, australia,...
Depends on how they work the rotation I spose, I'v never heard a definitive statement on exactly what they intend to do. Does the German world cup even count as a rotation for example as it wasnt award on that basis but after a normal world wide bidding process.

#10 ·
^^

And rightly so.

I bet you get the Rugby World Cup again before England does.

N.America 1994
Europe 1998
Asia 2002
Europe 2006
Africa 2010
S.America 2014
Europe 2018

Thats all but Oceana....where Football is their 4th sport.

#11 ·
harkerb said:
If according to the rotation system, then Australasia should get it in 2018. Then again, there's no big soccer nation down under. North America will have better hope of staging it then.
If Germany 2006 counts as a rotation then surely Japan/Korea 2002 does aswell in which case 2018 should be in North America(or the US again effectively unless the Mexicans get it for a 3rd time). Kind of brings up the flaw in the system really as outside Europe and maybe South America most feds only have a couple of countries who could actually host a WC. I don't think anyone begrugdes SA or Brazil the WC but when/if the US gets to host it twice in almost 20 years I don't think its going to be very popular.

I'v often heard it rumoured the rotation system was only invented in order to make sure SA got the 2010 WC as Sepp Blatter was depending on African votes to win the FIFA presidentcy again.

#12 ·
harkerb said:
If according to the rotation system, then Australasia should get it in 2018. Then again, there's no big soccer nation down under. North America will have better hope of staging it then.
I'm not sure that the rotation system will be strictly on continental lines. If it was, then Australia would be virtually guaranteed the World Cup once every twenty years while countries such as England, Italy and Spain (where, let's face it, football is the major sport, unlike Oz) would only get the World cup once every hundred or even two hundred years.

I suspect that what will happen is that Europe will stage the World Cup on every third occasion, the Americas (north and south) likewise, while Africa, Asia and Australasia will share the final third.

#13 ·
hngcm said:
That damn ball did not cross the line.
True. But if you've watched the whole match, you'll know that England were winning 2-1 in the last seconds of normal time, when the referee gave a free kick against England which should clearly not have been given. Germany scored from that free kick and the full time whistle blew immediately after the restart.

So it's only fair that that linesman should even up the score!

Besides, England won 4-2 in extra time, so it doesn't matter that that "goal" shouldn't have stood. :)

#14 ·
JimB said:
I suspect that what will happen is that Europe will stage the World Cup on every third occasion, the Americas (north and south) likewise, while Africa, Asia and Australasia will share the final third.
That seems like a more realistic option to me. I'd be pretty confident on the next asian/ocieanian world cup being in China rather than Australia awell, just too large a potential market for FIFA to turn it down IMHO.

#16 ·
maybe they will expand the wembley for the worldcup :D

#18 ·
eddyk said:
They can change the seating arragements on the lower tier and make it a 100,000 seater...god knows what the capacity would be if they did it to the whole stadium...115,00 maybe :D
I'd guess it would be fairly easy to do aswell since the additional seating is needed for the 68,000 athletics mode capacity. I believe 90,000 was the heightest capacity they could get planning permission for at the time but I wouldnt be supprized if they could get an exception made for the world cup.

Which other stadiums do you think would make up our bid though?

#19 ·
Ah yes...it would be easy to change the seats....but what about the roads and such...trasport...its been improved to end to account for the 90,000 fans...image if they added 20,000 more to that.

'Which other stadiums do you think would make up any kind of bid though?'

In England or around the world?

#20 ·
My List for England 2018

1. Wembley, London 90,000
2. Old Trafford, Manchester 75,000
3. New Anfield, Liverpool 61,000
4. Emirates, London 60,000
5. St. James Park, Newcastle 53.094
6. Stadium of Light, Sunderland 48,353 (expandind possible?)
7. City Of Manchester Stadium, Manchester 48,000
8. Villa Park, Birmingham 42,799 (is a expanding possible?)

maybe new stadiums in Leeds, Blackburn, Nottingham etc.

#22 ·
Possible Venues that can host a match or more now or would be redeveloped with ease ie England 2018 simple as makes sense

Wembley
Emirates
Pride Park
Riverside stadium
Elen Road or new stadium
Coventry City's new stadium
New Anfield
Upton Park
City Ground
St. James Park
Stadium of light
Villa Park
St. Andrews
St. Marys
Goodisen Park or new stadium
Stamford Bridge
White Hart Lane or new big stadium
The Valley
Old Trafford
City of Manchester stadium
City Ground
and many more

Simple as Englands stadiums are always full, look great and have brilliant atmospheres well apart from Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd. In the last World Cup two countries hosted it South Korea and Japan between them they had 20 stadiums hosting the matches in England you would easylly find 20 stadiums to host the matches all health and safety goodies as well as over 30,000 capacity

#25 ·
Well Villa Park want to expand to roughly 53,000+, Wolves will have expanded to minimum 42,300 and Maximum 46,500, The new Birmingham super stadium would be 60,000 (Completion 2010) and the Hawthorns im sure would expand to an excess of 40,000 so all in all, Birmingham alone could hold 1 group of World Cup football.

England has enough quality stadiums for it to hold only a single game in each stadium across the country. But obviously that wont happen

The 10 main stadiums will more then likely be

2 in London
1 in Birmingham
1 in Manchester
1 in Newcastle
1 in Liverpool
1 in Leeds
1 in Southampton
1 in Nottingham
1 in Middlesborough or something like that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.