SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Victoria Station

2M views 8K replies 446 participants last post by  Tony_H1 
#1 ·
A hidden jewel in Manchester's transport arsenal, if only a bit of money was spent on it, it would mean Manchester having 2 world class Rail gateways, with Piccadilly Being the ultra modern one and Victoria being it's classy Sister.

Its a crying shame whats happened to Victoria, its dark, dingy, is only served by crappy cattle wagons, and has no shops whats so ever.

If only the council and the train companies would step in to clean up the place and give it the attention her achitects envisaged,

Get it sorted, its closer to The City Centre then Piccadilly and would be a even classier station.

#4 ·
Completely agree. Ive always felt Victoria feels bigger, grander and an altogether more important feeling station than Piccadilly.

They need to re-roof it as a matter of urgency and develop the interior with the same kind of facilities as Piccadilly. Im surprised the commcerial potential of this station hasn't really been exploited. It has the potential to be a superb gateway to the city.

#6 ·
Munch said:
I agree... but what is its place in the transport network??? is it needed, or is it best to start considering alternative uses??

I am not familiar with its workings...

It has access to most lines that Piccadilly does, but most if not all of the major services to Manchester go to Piccadilly. Victoria really is the poor relation, but if you see old pictures.....it really is a grand old dame.

Just needs some attention

#7 ·
It serves the North of England mainly and is a Major Metrolink stop.

I've gone to meet my Mum at Victoria a couple of times recently and I've got to say its more than a bit shabby, not very welcoming and all together unacceptable for Manchester's 2nd biggest station, it needs a complete revamp costing multi millions, anything less is a joke

#8 ·
I agree. Bags of potential for Victoria. Not just in the cleaning up department but utilising it's current system and bettering it. Once phase 3 goes ahead and everything's built and functioning, I personally reckon it'd be a sound idea to use it as a Metrolink hub and in turn (with new lines obviously, I'm looking 20-30 years ahead) help alleviate some congestion through the city centre. Imagine having 4 or 5 different metrolink lines connected from Victoria. Perfect for the Arena, those living in the North of Manc, those living or working around the Green Quarter and CIS and the future development that'll no doubt flourish by this time.

I'm away with the fairies as per, so I'm living in a cinnamon wonderland right now.

#9 ·
So I wonder why nothing has been done with it? I mean how much have they spent on Shudehill Interchange? Quite a lot.

Victoria has such an amazing facade it's totally under utilised, it could be so impressive. I like your idea of using it as a Metro hub..could happen eventually

#12 ·
Also amazing to think that the MEN Arena was literally built right over the top of the outlying platforms there. I quite like the transition from the long dark through-platforms to the train shed area where the termini are. There is also a really ornate sort of cafe or waiting room with a stained glass roof. The whole place just screams of unfulfilled potential.

#13 ·
Crackin' thread
This is the big gaping hole in the City Centre. If there is a better site gagging for a tower as a catalyst then I've yet to see it. Victoria Station itself is truely lovely but so unloved.
Northbeach is part right - the Vector proposal was visionary but clearly too much so for its time. The Tower itself could have made it and what a beauty (I'm sure images are on SSC somewhere else), trouble was all the other stuff that went with it such as City Room for big banquets and the like - all fantasy stuff really.
IMHO if there is a weak link in any development, it tends to get found out by the funders and this in turn drags the rest of the proposal down with it - even the sensible bits.

#14 ·
I dont know if anyone saw it last year, but Portillo was doing a train journeys program from Spain.

He was in this ultra modern station, all glass, airy and light, and he then brought your attention to the fact that the station was neary 100 years old, they mearly just built around it, keeping all the old fascade and building on the inside, looked well weird but spectacular

Think theres a huge car park opp the CIS crying for development, as well as the Metrolink idea, these are two areas for development and investment.

Or just an idea, an extenson to The East Lancs Steam Railway?

#17 ·
Station building looks great from the outside, but is very shabby inside (I was in there the other day). I believe it's owned by Network Rail and is still occupied (sparsely). The rest of the station certainly needs a big re-furb as well. I'm not aware of NR having anything in the pipeline for Victoria though.

#18 ·
Yeah it needs a ton of investment but has so much potential. The trains that run out of it arent much better though, the little bus on rails that run to Ashton, Oldham and Rochdale are a disgrace too. They really should make it the hub for travel to the North. Re-route Liverpool - Leeds trains through here and make it the hub for transpennine. Expresses up the WCML to Glasgow and Edinburgh too perhaps. First and foremost though please just fix the roof and do something with that bloody carpark thats cut into it,

#19 ·
Irish Blood English Heart said:
Yeah it needs a ton of investment but has so much potential. The trains that run out of it arent much better though, the little bus on rails that run to Ashton, Oldham and Rochdale are a disgrace too. They really should make it the hub for travel to the North. Re-route Liverpool - Leeds trains through here and make it the hub for transpennine. Expresses up the WCML to Glasgow and Edinburgh too perhaps. First and foremost though please just fix the roof and do something with that bloody carpark thats cut into it,
Liverpool-Newcastle trains used to run through Victoria, proper loco hauled with carriages. Some started in Holyhead. Not long ago either.

#20 ·
When the Metrolink lines to Oldham, Rochdale and Ashton are built it will have a lot more Trams than trains. It is a really nice station on the outside but the trains that use it don't have connections with anywhere else. I can't imagine it would have a great future as a heavy rail station.

Sometimes when I used to come back from Uni I had to stay on the train through Victoria and then change trains at Salford Cresent to get back on another train to go back to Piccadilly to go anywhere. I'd sooner see an expansion around Piccadilly, Mayfield or something, you don't want a London type situation were you have to travel across a city to continue a train journey, that makes people use cars.