SkyscraperCity Forum banner

HYPERMARKETS in Malaysia

434K views 964 replies 134 participants last post by  nazrey 
#1 ·
TESCO, MAKRO and other hypermarts

Dutch-owned Makro Cash & Carry Distribution Sdn Bhd is strengthening its presence in the Malaysian retail market with a plan to open 10 new outlets in the next several years.

Makro managing director Anton van Gorp says there is still potential for the multinational company to open at least 10 more outlets in Malaysia.

Makro currently has eight outlets in Malaysia located at Shah Alam, Selayang, Cheras, Seremban, Seberang Perai, Penang, Johor Bahru and Ipoh. Makro has conducted a survey based on the concentration of its customers in areas that it has not reached, van Gorp says in a written reply to FinancialDaily.

Like earlier Makro outlets, the new stores would be “stand-alone” structures, built according to the specifications set by the authorities, van Gorp says.

However, he declined to reveal the total cost of investment for the expansion.

Makro’s expansion plan in Malaysia is in line with its expansion in other Asian countries.

In its 2002 annual report, Makro’s parent company, SHV Holdings NV, said there were 56 Makro outlets in Asia and it planned to open another 10 outlets this year.

In Thailand alone, there would be two new outlets this year in addition to 21 outlets at the end of 2002.

Following the collapse of Makro Taiwan early this year, SHV is also expanding into mainland China, with a plan to open up to 10 Makro outlets by 2010.

Van Gorp believes that as a cash and carry operator, Makro is unlikely to be affected by the government’s decision to curb the expansion of hypermarkets in three major cities and in areas with a low population density.

“We feel that there are still many areas where Makro’s presence will be welcomed by our customers, the small businesses and we are working with the government on our growth options in the area relating to the SMEs [small-and-medium enterprises],” he says.

On the company’s financials, van Gorp said Makro has been operationally profitable since its entry into Malaysia in 1993.
“As a company, apart from the last three years, Makro has also been profitable. Since the repositioning of the company in 2002, the results have also made a turn around. Makro expects to break even this year,” he says.

Van Gorp says the company expects a 10% growth in sales over 2002, in which its total sales amounted to RM706 million. This is RM66 million higher than the previous year.

On the company’s strategy, van Gorp says Makro will continue to be a niche player that focuses on its main customer group of small retailers, caterers and other professionals.

“We will look to improve our product range to cater to their requirements, especially in the catering segment,” he says. He adds that the company is still testing some new concepts for the Asian region before implementing them.

While other giant retailers such as Carrefour and Tesco allow its customers to pay with credit cards, Makro will continue to implement its cash-and-carry policy.

Makro does not accept any credit cards except those from Malayan Banking Bhd.

Van Gorp says there is no immediate plan to reverse this policy since it plays a part in keeping Makro’s cost of goods down by transferring the savings from banking transaction fees to its customers.

See less See more
#3 ·
Originally posted by ZaHiRnYa???

I don't like Macro at all.
Actually Makro is for small businesses......not for consumers like us. ;)

That's why they had this membership thingy (only available if you have a company to register with) and have no plastic bags as they expect people to buy in bulk. If you notice, their trolleys are much larger.

I still remember back in 1993 (yea...I've been a member since then), we had to travel all the way to Batu 3, Shah Alam to buy things. That Makro is the first in Malaysia.....so crowded then! :D

#4 ·
Originally posted by szehoong

Actually Makro is for small businesses......not for consumers like us. ;)

That's why they had this membership thingy (only available if you have a company to register with) and have no plastic bags as they expect people to buy in bulk. If you notice, their trolleys are much larger.

I still remember back in 1993 (yea...I've been a member since then), we had to travel all the way to Batu 3, Shah Alam to buy things. That Makro is the first in Malaysia.....so crowded then! :D
i think consumers go there and buy coz cheap. it is very troublesome lah, these membership things

#5 ·
Originally posted by TYW

i think consumers go there and buy coz cheap. it is very troublesome lah, these membership things
Actually everybody can become a member. There is no restriction for it. Like sze, I also happen to be a member. It is correct that Macro is mainly catered for small business so that they can buy in bulk. not like an ordinary consumer like you.

Due to the fact that the only credit card accepted at Macro is Maybank Macro card I can assure you that the average spending of this people is around RM50k per one time shopping. See how big is the different with the amount that we usually shop like at other hypermarket.

Still I don't like it though :D

#6 ·

Actually everybody can become a member. There is no restriction for it. Like sze, I also happen to be a member. It is correct that Macro is mainly catered for small business so that they can buy in bulk. not like an ordinary consumer like you.

Due to the fact that the only credit card accepted at Macro is Maybank Macro card I can assure you that the average spending of this people is around RM50k per one time shopping. See how big is the different with the amount that we usually shop like at other hypermarket.

he he.... i remembered the first time i went to makro (seberang prai) i cannot go in coz under age. i think now got no such things already right??

#8 ·
Originally posted by TYW

he he.... i remembered the first time i went to makro (seberang prai) i cannot go in coz under age. i think now got no such things already right??
well....they have age restriction for those under 12 and it applies on all occasions last time. Then a few years back, they allow children in only on weekends......I am not too sure bout now.

Actually the only thing I like bout Makro is because there is one VERY near my house :D

#9 ·

oh....I din know now anyone can be member......cos last time only those from companies could apply. My Makro card has my dad's company printed on to the card. ;)

As for the Makro Maybank credit card, I wanted to apply for that but it seems that the Makro staffs have no idea bout it and Maybank credit card people also have no idea bout it also so in the end I;ve only got the normal Maybank card....... :rant:

#10 ·

oh....I din know now anyone can be member......cos last time only those from companies could apply. My Makro card has my dad's company printed on to the card. ;)

As for the Makro Maybank credit card, I wanted to apply for that but it seems that the Makro staffs have no idea bout it and Maybank credit card people also have no idea bout it also so in the end I;ve only got the normal Maybank card....... :rant:
Everyone can become a member now. Probably they change their policy already.

As for the credit card...there is nothing more I can say :D Why don't you make a card conversion then...at least you will have a Maybank Macro card that can be used at Macro and other places as well.

#11 ·

i dunno why but my aunt have 2 membership cards. last time i went to the one in penang with her using that card.

#12 ·

Everyone can become a member now. Probably they change their policy already.

As for the credit card...there is nothing more I can say :D Why don't you make a card conversion then...at least you will have a Maybank Macro card that can be used at Macro and other places as well.
oh.....I dunno can convert one woh.....hmmm......I'll call cust serv later to check on this but I've got bad experience with the Maybank call centre last month.......they bluff me!!! :bleep:

....and subsequently because of that my card got 'telan' into an ATM machine. But I must really thank the Midvalley branch officer for her help in getting back the card to me! :)

#13 ·

oh.....I dunno can convert one woh.....hmmm......I'll call cust serv later to check on this but I've got bad experience with the Maybank call centre last month.......they bluff me!!! :bleep:

....and subsequently because of that my card got 'telan' into an ATM machine. But I must really thank the Midvalley branch officer for her help in getting back the card to me! :)
Ha.ha....they bluff you? What issue was that?

#14 ·

Ha.ha....they bluff you? What issue was that?
They told me that my card was activated. So I just slot it into the ATM to check some details and then the card got telan! So embarrasing.....so many people lining up looking at this guy which credit card got telan........ :cry:

The best part is that it is just days away before I went to Bangkok.......and I needed the card desperately! :rant:

#15 ·

They told me that my card was activated. So I just slot it into the ATM to check some details and then the card got telan! So embarrasing.....so many people lining up looking at this guy which credit card got telan........ :cry:

The best part is that it is just days away before I went to Bangkok.......and I needed the card desperately! :rant:
wah, kesian:D

#16 ·

What do you mean you card was activated. You used the chip based card kan...no need to activated la unless you key in the wrong pin no, of course they have to activate it again.

#17 ·

What do you mean you card was activated. You used the chip based card kan...no need to activated la unless you key in the wrong pin no, of course they have to activate it again.
I am talkin bout credit card here lah not ATM card lah! :bash:

When the credit card was delivered to you or that when you collect it, the card are useless as it is not activated for use. To activate, you need to call the call centre and after verification, your card is activated.

I did just that and was told that the card was activated. Unfortunately, my card got telan by ATM machine when I want to check something about the card (note: you could check your credit card limit, balance etc... etc..... using any Maybank ATM machines). The reason ahy I've checked is because I wanted to know what is wrong because I tried using it but can't earlier on. :rant:

After getting the card back at the last minute........I called again to confirm and this time I double-checked to confirm the activation......now I have a phobia of inserting any cards into an ATM machine! :D

#18 ·

I am talkin bout credit card here lah not ATM card lah! :bash:
La say la credit card. Ha..ha....there is something funny about you being phobia to insert a card into the atm slot.

Actually, they did give you the correct information, just that probably they miss one thing to tell you which i will not going to say it here. ask me when we meet this monday. :D

#19 ·

La say la credit card. Ha..ha....there is something funny about you being phobia to insert a card into the atm slot.

Actually, they did give you the correct information, just that probably they miss one thing to tell you which i will not going to say it here. ask me when we meet this monday. :D
aiks...you read properly lah my last few posts! :bash:

oky dokey......would ask ya bout the card this Monday....if I forget please remind me ya! :D

Actually the 'phobia' is a joke lah.....if I had a phobia I would be able to take any money out then and I'll be broke! :lol:

#20 ·
TESCO thread

Tesco plans RM140mil expansion this year

TESCO Stores (M) Sdn Bhd plans to invest RM140mil for its expansion this year, head of corporate affairs, Azlam Shah Alias said.

The expansion would include a new store in Penang, which was expected to cost about RM50mil to RM70mil, he told Bernama after the presentation of Tesco Values Award to outstanding small- and medium-sized enterprise suppliers in Puchong, Selangor, yesterday.

Currently, the company operates 5 outlets, located in Puchong, Bukit Tinggi in Klang, Damansara, Malacca and Sungai Petani in Kedah.

Azlam said that Tesco planned to open up to 10 outlets nationwide in the next 5 years.

The government had approved 7 outlets, he added. Tesco Stores carries a total of 88,000 products of which 95% are sourced locally. – Bernama

#26 ·
Originally posted by Pablo

If i'm not mistaken Penang's TESCO have three stories;)
yeah, 3 stories, it is on the board in the pic u took

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.