110K views 463 replies 413 participants last post by  mitkobombata 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kingdom Centre
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

HEIGHT: 302m/991 feet
FLOORS: 30 floors
COMPLETION: 2002
ARCHITECT: Ellerbe Becket, Omrania and Associates

The Kingdom Centre will have a great impact on the social and commercial environment of Riyadh. It is envisioned as the New International Icon of both Riyadh and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and a towering symbol of its progress to the new millennium. The tower will dominate the skyline above Riyadh's premier commercial district and its architectural beauty will remain in the memory of the visitors who once visit the Kingdom Center. It is believed that the shopping complex will provide a whole new lifestyle for the capital residents. The Kingdom Centre will also inspire the other renowned groups of companies in the Kingdom to construct prestigious projects contributing to development and international recognition of the city and the country. This project is also adding to the knowledge of the local consultants and contractors in the construction of high-rise buildings that will pave the way in execution of such projects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

See less See more
#4 ·
Originally posted by caledon1981
If i ever have a 4000 ft beer ill know where i can open it!! ;) LOL. .
yeah i read that they dont have a height limit in Riyadh, but they have a 30 floor limit. . thats odd . .

forgot to rate it. . . 7.5/10 for being innovative
7/10
I do agree with you

#8 ·
Simple and unique design. I like it! 9.5/10. I saw a documentary on the construction of this building and its rival across town, the Al Faisaliah (I can pronounce it correctly now!) Center. The princes who commisioned these two towers could not get around the 30 storey height limit, so with the Al Faisaliah the architects put in a high lobby, observation floors (visible under the K braces) and a round restaurant below stacks of telecommunication platforms and a lantern.

In the documentary the architects of Kingdom Center showed various models of previous designs, none as simple and effective as the built design, and said that the prince rejected all of them. Finally they came up with the present design, built a model of it, and when the prince saw it for the first time he put his arms around it and said, "This is the tower I want."

#14 ·
DamienK said:
Simple and unique design. I like it! 9.5/10. I saw a documentary on the construction of this building and its rival across town, the Al Faisaliah (I can pronounce it correctly now!) Center. The princes who commisioned these two towers could not get around the 30 storey height limit, so with the Al Faisaliah the architects put in a high lobby, observation floors (visible under the K braces) and a round restaurant below stacks of telecommunication platforms and a lantern.

In the documentary the architects of Kingdom Center showed various models of previous designs, none as simple and effective as the built design, and said that the prince rejected all of them. Finally they came up with the present design, built a model of it, and when the prince saw it for the first time he put his arms around it and said, "This is the tower I want."
Why is there a 30 storey limit? But the tower can be structurally taller....:?

#17 ·
Such an intriguing and unique super structure. I saw that superb documentary on it's construction as well. Very interesting what all went into creating this giant. It deserves it's showcased splendid isolation, for it may look bizarre if it were in the middle of a dense tall downtown cluster. 9.