33K views 204 replies 171 participants last post by  EMArg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Lloyd's Building
London, UK

HEIGHT: 96m
FLOORS: 14 floors
COMPLETION: 1986
ARCHITECT: Sir Richard Rogers

The Lloyd’s Building is one of the most famous modern buildings in London. It was completed in 1986. The Lloyd’s Building is located in the most ancient quarter of London. While walking through the neighbouring streets it is already possible to see parts of the glazed facades of the atrium or the service towers wich are clad in stainless steel sandwich paneels. The most important aspect of the design of Lloyd’s Building is flexibility. The building is designed as a series of concentric galleries overlooking a central atrium. All fixed obstructions, i.e. toilets, stairs, entrances, lifts and columns are placed outside the building in six vertical towers.

The building is 12 storeys to the north and steps down to six storeys towards the smale scale buildings to the south, creating a series of terraces at various levels. The twelve glazed lifts are arranged at the outside of the building, inside vertical movement is by a central escalator in the atrium. The servant zones stand freely outside the mass of the building. Concentrating lifts, service risers and toilets into the satellite towers and supporting the main building on external columns gives an uninterrupted space within the enclosing envelope and minimises restrictions on use. The vertical and main horizontal ventilation ducts are run externally for the same reason.

A model of the building.

See less See more
#8 ·

I gave it high marks because it is unique, because of the courage to do something bold and deconstructionist.

Also reflective of social trends in London at the time. Late 80s, Thatcherism, bleak social oulook, depressed populace. Really good signpost of history.

If a building could capture what I feel about freedom and America right now, I would build this building.

#21 ·
to all you dissenters....go and actually see the building before you pass judgement....the 2 photos given at the top of the thread are probably the most unflattering that i have even seen..

the interior of lloyds is as impressive, if not more than the exterior...there is an 18 storey atrium, with probably the biggest 'room' in the world at the base due to all of the pipes and electrics being stored on the outside of the building...

at night it is stunning....to see the contrast between this and the victorian elegance of the burlington arcade is magic.

10/10. richard rogers has balls...this building still looks modern..at almost 20 years old! an architectural event.

#24 ·
9/10

I used to hate the Lloyds Building but, as I've seen more of it, it's really grown on me. It's one of those buildings that looks far better in real life than it does in photos. You have to experience it close up. When you actually go and see it, you realise what a stunning piece of architecture it really is.

At night, it's especially impressive - the lighting makes it look like a giant spaceship has landed in the City. I remember seeing it for the first time back in 2002 when I was watching SwissRe under construction. The Lloyds Building was almost as interesting as SwissRe when it was lit up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.