SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

...Durban *Discussion* (Closed april 2008)

90K views 949 replies 37 participants last post by  romanSA 
#1 ·
Durban Discussion.

Enjoy!

#2 ·
greg will like this...

Top award for Kwazulu-Natal

KZN's tourism marketing agency, Tourism Kwazulu-Natal, has won the prestige United Nations World Tourism Organisation's Ulysses Award for innovation in tourism governance and for its information and knowledge management systems

#3 ·
In other other good news, Durban's A1 Grand Prix has already been pegged as the best A1 race of the current season by Team Canada. Here's a short excerpt:

------------

Durban's stunning beach-side 3.28km temporary street circuit once again proved to be a highlight of the A1GP season, as it had been the year before when a sell-out crowd, and more, packed the grandstands and roof tops to check out the competing nations battling wheel-to-wheel just inches off the concrete barriers and wire fences lining the track.

------------

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=255067&FS=

#4 ·
Will mean huge investment but comes with risk...

-------------------

Shock KZN nuclear plan

June 04 2007 at 11:11AM

By Heinz de Boer

Eskom is investigating the setting up of a nuclear power station on the KwaZulu-Natal coast in a move that has alarmed environmentalists who have warned of major safety and nuclear waste risks.

The energy supplier's startling revelation was made on Friday when senior provincial Eskom officials said the long-term nuclear option was being seriously considered to help rescue the province's diminishing energy base.

Environmental organisations have, however, slammed the initiative, saying it was "ridiculous" for the government to consider the nuclear power option after Koeberg's recent shutdown debacle.

'90 percent of the country's electricity is produced by coal'
"At least 90 percent of the country's electricity is produced by coal. We are researching initiatives on how else we can generate supply and are actively looking at nuclear reactors. If in the end it proves to be technically viable the reactor would probably be situated on the coast as we have no power stations along the coast," transmission east grid manager Justice Marabwa said.

Eskom's investigations into nuclear energy comes amid massive plans to curb transmission faults, bring a new hydro-electric station into commission before 2012 and manage KZN's potential for massive power outages.

Some of South Africa's major industrial power users are in KZN - a province that by Eskom's own admission has experienced a massive electricity load growth while the infrastructure and generating capacity has remained the same.

If given the go ahead, Eskom would, according to its published research, most likely invest in a coastal pebble bed modular reactor (PBMR) for KZN. Eskom would ideally want to build reactors close to the major energy sapping industrial areas, which include Richards Bay, Durban and Empangeni.

A typical pebble bed complex of 10 reactors would produce 1100 MW of electricity and occupy an area the size of three football fields. The buildings would stand about six storeys high while spent fuel would be stored in existing nuclear waste disposal sites at Vaalputs in the Northern Cape.

'South Africa would be wise to learn from mistakes made internationally'
Environmentalists are, however, unconvinced. National campaign co-ordinator for Earthlife SA Maya Aberman said PBMR technology was far from mature and South Africa would be wise to learn from mistakes made internationally. More effort should rather be focused on developing renewable energy resources and managing available energy, she said. She cited Germany, where the equivalent of 50 percent of South Africa's energy requirements is generated from wind.

"Our R16-billion PBMR project has dragged on for 10 years. There has been a lot of concern associated with PBMR internationally and we would firstly be worried about safety. One has the human factor to consider, and studies have found that in most of the nuclear incidents human error was to blame. One only has to look at Koeberg and negligence surrounding the 'loose bolt' that led to a partial shut down last year." Aberman said.

Provincial Department of Economic Development spokesperson Mashu Cele said that generally, government would welcome any boost in power production.

This article was originally published on page 1 of Daily News on June 04, 2007

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=124&art_id=vn20070604094420507C341281

#6 ·
This is a cross-post from the Point-Bluff thread. But the news is so exciting and this development could be such an iconic feature of Durban, I thought I had to cross-post here:

------------------

I have a scoop, scoop, scoop!!!! Mike (and other passionate Durbanites), try not to pee in your pants like me when you read this. LOL!

Have any of you heard of ACCORD? "Who?", you ask? Well, the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) is the organisation that have been promised the Bluff Headland for a proposed peace and conflict resolution centre. The center has received endorsements from amongst others, Mandela, Mbeki, Blair, Clinton, and Obesanjo (although Clinton's name doesn't apear on the current list, I have seen it there before).

Anyway, I have been periodically checking their website for more than 3 years, since their proposed centre was first mooted. They had a high profile international design competition for the centre a few years ago (submissions were received from throughout Africa) and since then nothing new was heard of the proposed centre or the winning design. Guess what?? It's been released and apparently the centre is to be built before 2010. Thus, Mike's challenge to find a way to link the point to the Buff is now not a moot point; it is real.

You're probably wondering about the design? Well, in short, it is simple but stunning.

But don't jump the gun yet. All will be revealed soon... (yes, I am a tease)

First, more about the ACCORD and the proposed centre. Then we talk designs...

-----------

The African Century will be founded on Africa's ability to find solutions to her own challenges. Her challenges of conflict, of development, her search for peace. African solutions to African challenges. Out of this belief has grown the vision of an Africa Peace Center. A neutral site, in Africa, where the continent's leaders can forge a passage away from conflict and violence, and towards peace.

This is a vision shared by ACCORD – a vision of the African continent, as it should be – free of violence and economic dependency. Where the resolution of conflict leads to significant economic achievements and a better life for all her people.

ACCORD is an African non-governmental conflict management organisation, recognised by the United Nations as a model for conflict prevention and transformation in Africa:

A model based on the pillars of research, training, and intervention.

A model that has been tested and proven throughout Africa over the past decade.

A model for Conflict Management that will be institutionalised through our vision of the Africa Peace Centre.

The Africa Peace Centre will be a state-of-the-art complex which will act as a base for high level conflict intervention and continuous research and training. It will also incorporate a resource and documentation centre, a meeting and training centre, a conference venue, 80 guest residences and a number of VIP houses. The complex will also house the ACCORD offices.

The Africa Peace Centre vision has already received the support of key political, business and civil society leaders throughout Africa and the world. ACCORD has forged a partnership with the City of Durban to make the Centre a reality.

http://www.accord.org.za/centre/vision.htm

--------------

Now the part we've all been waiting for: the design. In my opinion, it's really novel and unique, utilising the underground military bunkers, as well as light. The key elements of the design are described as "Wells of light, shafts of darkness, and a living museum." Pictures of the bunkers look the coolest. Surreal, in my opinion. Also, renders of the development show massive spikes of light at the head of the Bluff that will form part of the feature. They seem to dwarf the Millennium Tower and should look *amazing* at night.

Also, the proposed gardens are not called the "Africa Freedom Park" but the Gardens of Reconciliation. Key components of this feature are: "Generous lawn and seating space; Amphitheatre; Water and stage, and Restaurants." The design looks amazing. There seems to be a long, elevated walkway.

Now, for the part you've been all been waiting for (yes, I'm a tease, I already told you so :banana:): the design and renders. Check out these links (I recommend you read descriptions first):

THE VISION OF THE CENTRE

Renders here include:

- those massive spikes of light at the end of the Bluff; and
- stunning and surreal never-before-seen publically-released actual pics of the military bunkers [I hope they leave as is].

http://www.accord.org.za/centre/vision.htm

THE DESIGN

Renders here include:

- The exterior and interior designs of the center (which look amazing and original, in my opinion)

http://www.accord.org.za/centre/design.htm

THE GARDENS OF RECONCILIATION

Renders here include:

- A repeat render of those spikey light features at the head of the Bluff
- Renders of a massive elevated bridge / pathway through the center, on the North-facing side of the Bluff (imagine the views of the city and harbour from there! I think that is the intended effect)
- An amphitheatre leading to a water feature of sorts
- overall floorplan of the centre, including depth of the centre

http://www.accord.org.za/centre/gardens.htm

DETAILS OF THE SITE ITSELF:

http://www.accord.org.za/centre/site.htm

OVERALL SCHEMATIC PLAN FOR NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN DURBAN

This page describes itself as: "The above plan identifies current and future Durban landmarks and illustrates how the Centre will integrate with other key attractions and functional parts of the Durban landscape."

http://www.accord.org.za/centre/durban.htm

Enjoy!

(Mike, you can exhale now) :)

#7 ·
So what do you guys think?? I think it will be an AMAZING feature for the city.

I like that they have restaurants and a conference centre here. What a setting and what views!!

Mike, perhaps you should start a new thread for this and copy/paste the renders (with acknowledgements and weblinks to the original site, of course)

#8 ·
excellent! I love the design they are working from, i dont mind if its the final design, but would like to see it evolve in some way over a few months or so with input from people in durban..so cool! big peace park and centre in durban ..and a small peace centre in CT

#10 ·
LOL, Mo's nocturnal.

With regard to your post Roman, what else can I say? Im flippin impressed. Such a perfect spot for such a development! Its on the Head of Durban & the views over looking Durban make it even more special! Also how appropriate is Mikes thread now? Mike did you know about this???

Love the design, keeps the "African Architecture" theme that government is trying to promote, similar to that of the constitutional court. plus those spots lighting up from that hill look f*cken FANTASTIC!

Thanks for posting Roman!

#11 ·
It's beautiful! I especially like the beams of light which will be a major beacon to the city. A centre like this could create incredible exposure for the city. Imagine those views being broadcast every time a major initiative is take place at the centre. I just hope that the majority of the area is going to be permanently open to the public.

#14 ·
Amazing coincidence.

I think the hotel talk is linked to the 80 bed facility that will be part of the centre. That's probably where conference delegates will be housed. I wouldn't mind staying there. Would be a gret get-away. It's probably the only place in the country that's so close to a major city (currently less than 150 m away from the Point) but totally inaccessible.

#15 ·
Guys can any of you help me. Am due to come to durbs for beach africa this year with some friends from the UK but I cannot find anywhere the dates on which the concerts are taking place or indeed what bands are going to be there. It is very frustrating. Can any of you help me? I cant book flights up nfrom CT or hotel or anything till I know what is going on and its very frustrating.

#17 ·
KZN digging into its own pocket

June 08 2007 at 01:51PM

By Heinz de Boer

It's been almost three months since massive sea swells devastated portions of the local coastline and national government has yet to make good on its promise to fork out hundreds of millions to help repair beaches.

Both the eThekwini and KwaDukuza (Dolphin Coast) Municipalities, who collectively sustained R1-billion of damage, on Thursday confirmed that they had been dipping into their own coffers to urgently repair vital coastal tourism nodes.

Durban city manager Dr Michael Sutcliffe confirmed that council had yet to receive a cent from national government, and was uncertain as to when council could expect its cash injection.

'All expenditure to date has been carried by KwaDukuza Municipality'
Durban's beaches sustained R49-million worth of damage, while the violent storm that lashed parts of the city caused R41-million of damage.

"I haven't a clue. There has been no indication as to when we will receive the money and are using our own resources, even though it does create audit problems. We would obviously like to have the money upfront, but had to prioritise to get the job done," Sutcliffe said.

Unusually high seas coupled with a low pressure system off the KZN coast caused the huge swells, which battered a 300km stretch of coastline in mid-March.

Durban's Golden Mile was extensively damaged, while tidal pools in the Ballito and Brighton beach areas were destroyed.

Umdloti and Umkomaas had large sections of road washed away. Ballito's coastal belt was almost totally obliterated. Not only were several pump stations destroyed or damaged, but the swells also washed away a 2km portion of promenade, including public toilets and boat launch sites.

Many coastal holiday homes and two restaurants were also damaged.

Promises of financial assistance were made not long after, when national minister of provincial and local government Sydney Mufamadi said central government would aid affected regions.

Mufamadi is responsible for national government's disaster management team.

The already cash-strapped Dolphin Coast, which lost about R1-billion in infrastructure, has already spent R1,8-million of its own money.

Ten of the 17 beaches in the KwaDukuza region are open and water quality has returned to normal after emergency repairs to damaged coastal pump stations.

The council's tourism officials said it had put action plans in place to rescue the upcoming July holiday season.

This is despite the main Ballito beach still being partially closed to the public and some beaches having only temporary public facilities like toilets.

In a public statement on Thursday, KwaDukuza's acting municipal manager Bill Byrnes said they had yet to see a cent of the R494-million in financial assistance they applied for. The figure includes R14-million for emergency work.

"All expenditure to date has been carried by KwaDukuza Municipality. Further provision for restoration work has been made on the 2007/08 budget. Funds will become available in July 2007," he said.

KZN spokesperson for the housing, local government and traditional affairs Lennox Mabaso said it was untrue that government was not acting to support municipalities.

Task teams first had to accurately collate what needed replacement before a report could be presented to parliament, he said.

"Although we want to move fast, we still have to comply with the law," Mabaso said.

This article was originally published on page 2 of Daily News on June 08, 2007

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=14&art_id=vn20070608101259123C736507

#18 ·
Perhaps we should submit a proposal to name the small road between Ushaka and the highrise strip starting from Spinnaker to the Mast "Skyscraper Street"?? LOL!

----------------------

Birthday Boulevard

June 08 2007 at 02:02PM

By Arthi Sanpath and Bongani Mthembu

A short road with just three households, off Essenwood Road in Durban, might soon take on a new identity.

"Boulevard of the Glorious 14th September 1944" - is the new suggestion, a "disproportionately long name for a short street", said Dr David Basckin who submitted the proposal.

It is unlikely that Basckin will get his way, he is still alive and cannot have a street named after him.

The gloriously elongated name also happens to be the nominator's date of birth.

Basckin said: "Yes, it is the date of my birth, and as I am the oldest resident on the street, why not name the road after me?"

David Basckin, former academic, film production company owner and columnist, roared with laughter after hearing that his proposal was listed among the 112 new names compiled by the municipality.

After composing himself, he said: "I am absolutely delighted that my suggestion is now up for discussion as I think it is a great name."

Basckin, who has lived in the road since 1975, said he sent in his proposal after the public was encouraged to send in their comments and suggestions last month.

"I was serious about sending in my suggestion, but obviously it was a light-hearted proposal. The name certainly has a sense of humour, but it has a meaning as opposed to the present street name," said Basckin.

The current name, Bonair Road, he claims has "neither a particular meaning nor history", therefore he decided he would put forward his suggestion.

In his motivation to the municipality, Basckin wrote that besides the date being his birthday, it also marked the launch of the battle for Strafbourg, a World War 2 battle against Nazism.

He added that the word "boulevard" has strong revolutionary roots, but he doesn't know how his neighbours would react as he hadn't asked them their opinion.

Unlike the previous list of street names which was dominated by the names of politicians, the new list which has 112 names has a mixture of religious, sports people, businessmen, politicians and even journalists.

The new proposed name for Durban's Moore Road is Mark Shuttleworth Road.

Even the name of the former Daily News reporter, Farook Khan has been proposed as one of the new street names. Durban's Exhibition Centre could soon be named after Inkatha Freedom Party leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi if the proposal is supported.

The public has until June 25 to submit their input for new street name proposals.

This article was originally published on page 3 of Daily News on June 08, 2007

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=6&art_id=vn20070608101347345C817141

#19 ·
New ideas for street names

June 08 2007 at 04:33AM

By Matthew Savides

The name of the world's first "Afronaut", Mark Shuttleworth, and the birth date of a Durban doctor have been put forward among the latest list of potential names for streets in Durban.

If a suggestion contained in a further list of 112 proposed street names is carried through, Durban's Bonair Road, in the Essenwood Road area, would become the "Boulevard of the Glorious 14th September 1944", the date of birth, apparently, of the oldest resident in the road, Dr David Basckin.

However lighthearted this name may be it, along with Shuttleworth's, is unlikely to be accepted as it contravenes the rules governing name changes. Both men are still alive and therefore cannot have a street named after them.

'No one is interested in this'

This is also the case for others on the list, including veteran Durban journalist Farook Khan and KwaZulu-Natal businessman Oscar Dlomo.

The new list of name change proposals was released this week and came about after the eThekwini Municipality reopened the window for input on the matter a month ago.

This was amid a mass outcry from the public and opposition parties that the renaming process was flawed, mainly based on accusations that proper procedure had not been followed and that affected people had not been adequately consulted.

In an attempt to rectify the process, the city council extended the timeframe for submissions, but opposition parties were adamant the process should have been started again from scratch. However, they were outvoted at a recent council meeting.

The new suggestions would run in conjunction with an existing list of 176 names. With the window for further proposals still open, the municipality's newly-formed ward committees would have at least 288 names to sift through before final decisions are made.

Ethekwini Municipal Manager Michael Sutcliffe said the fact that so many new suggestions had been received since the process was reopened in March showed that the process had become "thoroughly consultative" and that all affected people were getting involved.

The opportunity for further suggestions still remained, he said, and this would ensure that ongoing consultation took place.

However, the caucus leader of the DA in the municipality, John Steenhuisen, said that tweaking the policy would not help the situation because the correct process had not been followed from the start.

He said a list received by the party had revealed that 127 of the 176 names initially suggested had come from various ANC structures, revealing that the renaming issue was not a high priority for ordinary people.

"No one is interested in this. There are other things, like crime, that they would rather see the council putting their money and energy into," he said.

Most of the hotly contested and debated names on the original list, including the proposal to use bomber Andrew Zondo's name for a street in Amanzimtoti and the use of Castro's name, had been put forward by the ANC.

Sutcliffe said that all objections would be considered and acknowledged that not all of the suggested names would eventually be accepted.

"People take it that every proposed name will go though, but this is not the case. In reality, only about 40 or 50 names will be accepted from an administrative point of view alone."

All proposals received before the June 23 cut-off date would be submitted to ward committees for consideration and their decisions would be sent to Sutcliffe's office, where the merits of each suggestion would be balanced against the rules guiding the process.

After this, a final list would be sent to the Masakhane grant-in-aid committee whose decision would be sent to the city's executive committee and full council for the final decision.

This article was originally published on page 1 of The Mercury on June 08, 2007

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=6&art_id=vn20070608020021601C395466

#20 ·
Top Female Surfers to Compete in Durban

Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 6 June, 2007 : - - South Africa’s finest female surfers are preparing for the biggest clash of the year, when they take on a selection of top internationals during the five star ASP World Qualifying Series Mr Price Pro, which takes place from 4 – 7 July 2007.

The most prestigious women’s surfing event in South Africa, the Mr Price Pro holds a prize money purse of R 175 000, as well as precious ASP ratings points, which count towards a surfer’s overall WQS rating at the end of the year. Nearly 60 female surfers have entered the event, including eight of the world’s elite 17 World Championship Tour competitors.

2006 runner- up and former ASP World Junior champion, Jessi Miley Dyer (Australia), is the top seed for the event and will kick off her 2007 Mr Price Pro campaign in the round of 48. Joining her in this round are second seed and current ASP world number four Silvana Lima (Brazil), third seed and equal world number four Samantha Cornish (Australia), world number eight Amee Donohoe (Australia) and world number 12 Caroline Sarran (France).

Also featuring in the seeded rounds are, South Africa’s only WCT competitor Roseanne Hodge (East London), who surfed to an outstanding equal third overall in 2006, former world number two Melanie Redman – Carr (Australia) and equal world number four Rebecca Woods (Australia).

They can expect some tough competition from a hungry pack of WQS campaigners who will be eager to qualify for the prestigious ASP World Championship tour including, world number five on the WQS and former Mr Price Pro champion Serena Brooke (Australia), reigning world junior champion Nicola Atherton (Australia), WQS world number ten Nikita Robb (East London), Leilani Gryde (Australia) and Tammy Lee Smith (Balitto).

Local campaigners such as former WCT veteran Heather Clark (Port Shepstone), ASP Africa Women’s Champion Sarah Maritz (Warner Beach), Western Province Champion Stacey Guy (Cape Town), National Junior team member Taryyn Chudleigh (Cape Town) as well as up and coming junior stars Sarah Baum (Warner Beach) and Heidi Palmboom (Bluff), cannot be discounted.

The Mr Price Pro is the biggest women’s surfing event in South Africa, offering local campaigners the invaluable opportunity to meet and compete against their surfing heroines, as well a taste of the international surfing circuit. The Mr Price Pro women’s event gets under way on Wednesday 4 July and culminates with the 30 minute final on Saturday 7th, when the winner will be presented with her R28 000 first place cheque.

The Mr Price Pro is produced by Mr Price Sports Marketing on behalf of ASP Africa. Co sponsors of the event include Internet Solutions, Renault Cars and Holiday Inn Hotels.

http://www.globalsurfnews.com/news.asp?Id_news=28287

#21 ·
Very informative article. I didn't even know that KZN's coal reserves have been depleted so much or that there are gold deposits in KZN or may be uranium deposits just outside of Durbs, in Sheppies!

------------------

KwaZulu-Natal has viable resources, even in coal
By: Margie Inggs
Published: 8 Jun 07 - 0:00

Contrary to popular belief, KwaZulu-Natal has viable resources of a range of minerals and enough coal to make it cost-effective to revive some of the collieries that were abandoned in the mid-1990s.

Mintek, which specialises in minerals and metallurgical technology and was commissioned by Trade and Investment KwaZulu-Natal (TIKZN) to undertake a study of the mineral resources in the province, said last week that nearly 20 farms had been identified as having high potential for coal-mining.

However, KwaZulu-Natal remains the poor relation of the coal-mining industry, with only 4% of the remain- ing reserves of coal in the country, while the Free State has 14%, Limpopo 34% and Mpumalanga 48%.

In terms of resources, Limpopo is way ahead with 64%, followed by Mpumalanga with 22%, the Free State with 12% and KwaZulu-Natal with only 2%.

Saleable coal production in South Africa is just under 250-million tons a year.

Since 1982, the amount of coal mined in KwaZulu-Natal has plummeted from close to 25-million tons a year to 2,5-million tons a year as the huge deposits, which made it one of the biggest coal producers in the world in the early 1900s, were mined out. This has had a catastrophic economic effect, as thousands of jobs were lost in the area, which has little other economic activity.

Iscor, now Mittal Steel, which has an operation based in Newcastle, used to buy large volumes of coal from the Kumba mine when it was fully operational. The mine is currently being rehabilitated.

Tami Didiza, head of communications at Mittal Steel, says there is currently a small operator from whom the steel producer buys some of its requirements, but that it cannot meet all its needs.

“We are, however, providing this operator with support to improve its production output,” Didiza says.

He adds that it will be in Mittal Steel’s best interest to get more coking coal from KwaZulu-Natal, as it is a critical component of its coal blend.

Neale Baartjes, head of regional minerals economics at Mintek’s Minerals Economics and Strategy Unit, says 60% of local coal sold is used for electricity generation and 25% for the petrochemicals industry.

He says the three most promising coalfields in KwaZulu-Natal are Klip River, Nongoma and Somkhele, in northern KwaZulu-Natal.

Nongoma and Somkhele are relatively untapped. At Somkhele, where it started commissioning an anthracite project two months ago, Petmin is planning an initial 40 000 t/m from the mine and 26 000 t/m to 27 000 t/m of saleable product.

The company plans to double production in the next six months to a year.

COO Bradley Doig says this is mainly for the export market and is being shipped through the dry bulk terminal at Richards Bay.

He predicts a 25-year life for the mine and says Petmin has spent a lot of time and effort on uplifting the local community.

Baartjes says opencast mining produces nearly a quarter of the coal in the province but that this is declining because the coal resources closer to the surface are running out. However, there are still significant underground resources, he says. Although mining conditions are difficult because of dolorite ***** and uneven terrain, he says the mines are close to Durban and Richards Bay, giving them a significant geo-graphical advantage if the export market is the target.

“As a result, the current production could increase from 2,5-million tons a year to ideally five-million tons a year and, hopefully, to ten-mil- lion tons a year,” he says.

In 2005, 13% of the operating coal mines in South Africa were based in KwaZulu-Natal, and, Baartjes says, the coal mines are beginning to generate a lot of excitement.

The constituent minerals for many building materials, such as ceramics, cement, bricks, aggregate, sand and dimension stone, have also been identified in the province.

Even gold occurrences have long been known south of Vryheid, and uranium north-east of Port Shepstone, but further exploration would have to be done to see if there are sufficient reserves to make mining viable.

TIKZN CEO Zamo Gwala says the findings “came as no surprise but helped put all TIKZN’s high expectations into context”.

“The findings will be used as a marketing tool and will make it much easier when we talk to foreign investors about opportunities in the province,” he says.

“Mining was never a priority for us before because we didn’t know we had the potential but now we are going to prioritise it.”

http://www.miningweekly.co.za/article.php?a_id=110197

#25 ·
Guys you just HAVE TO visit the link below. It is a very refreshing book about life in Durbs

http://undressingdurban.blogspot.com/

Undressing Durban comprises articles from 54 contributors, most of whom are junior academics and postgraduate students in the Social Sciences (though there are also senior academics and undergraduate students among the contributors). The contributors were encouraged to write about topics with a Durban connection which 'excited' them, and the articles engage with readers as intelligent and critical laypeople (not as academic specialists) employing a variety of evocative styles.

#26 ·
I can't see this going ahead, especially with the competition from discount airlines and coaches, the extremely high costs involved, and the tight timeline they are facing if they want this done by 2010. This is despite them not having to build many (time-consuming and expensive) stations between JHB and Durbs...

------------------------

High-speed rail linking Durban to Johannesburg is slow to get started
June 11, 2007

By SLINDILE KHANYILE

Durban - Seven months after the proposed high-speed train project between Durban and Johannesburg was first announced, the KwaZulu-Natal government is yet to table a formal proposal for the approval by the national department of transport.

At the time of the announcement, the provincial leaders had indicated they would contact their national counterparts a month later.

The spokesperson for the transport department, Collen Msibi, said so far it had heard of this project only through the media.

"Our understanding is that it is still being discussed at provincial level and no proposal has been made to the national minister [Jeff Radebe]." He said the link must be aligned to the national rail plan.

Transport specialist Paul Copley said the project would cost a "monumental amount".

"You would have to replace the rail system and realign the earthworks," he said.

"I do not see the passenger demand for that [rail link] between Durban and Johannesburg, because you already have the bus coaches and the planes.

"In Europe it is working because there is such a passenger congestion there."

KwaZulu-Natal premier Sibusiso Ndebele told the SA Road Federation Conference last September that the train would reduce the 600km journey between the two cities to three hours.

He then said the province expected to know by the end of October whether it had the green light, which would then be followed by a formal proposal to Radebe's department.

Seven months on, it is not clear what is happening with the project, which is expected to cost about R50 billion.

Last week, Kwazi Mbanjwa, the director-general in the premier's office and the former transport director-general, claimed that the province had the support of Spoornet and the parastatal was helping to source funding for the project.

He said that construction could start as early as next year and that some overseas companies had shown interest in the project.

Bheki Cele, the transport MEC for KwaZulu-Natal, would say only that there were still discussions around the project.

Copley said this project could cost at least six times more than the Gautrain.

"The Gautrain [link], which is about 100km [long], is going to cost R23 billion," he said. "The trip between Johannesburg and Durban is 600km; that means a lot of money.

"I do not think the private sector would be interested in spending [that much] and it is a lot higher for government as well."

Calls made by Business Report to get comment from the SA Rail Commuter Corporation were not returned.

http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=&fArticleId=3877178

#27 ·
personally i dont believe a high speed rail link between durban and joburg is needed. What is needed is improved rail facilities between the two cities for the handling of the masses of cargo that goes between the two regions. The n3 is a bloody nightmare and it would be far better to get many of the heavy trucks off the road and onto rail. but its a long project and needs much input

#28 ·
I believe that it should start sooner than later. No reason for it to be complete by 2010,but it needs to serve a long term purpose. On the other hand if the project is totally unfeasible then it should be rethought. It could also be one of those projects which pops up in the news for the next 5 years and only gets started in 15 years when they realize the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.