SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Discussion / Urban Renewal Projects

122K views 2K replies 73 participants last post by  Dilaz89 
#1 ·
wow what a surprise !!!!!
today i was having a drive around town and the old bus depot just south of the WACA had alot of work going on making the site ready for development, so this is the early stages, the land will be sold soon and will be the first part of the development, some time this year
exciting stuff

#1,194 ·
I think the only connection with Central station is on Wellington st at the Central station forecourt.
The tall building circled is number 15, the tallest of the lot! Imagine driving around it over the horse shoe bridge:)

Also look at Milligan st, it looks to be a elevated walkway?
I wonder how accurate this render is? If it is, remember you saw it first on Skyscrapercity.com..hehe

#1,199 ·
The tall building circled is number 15, the tallest of the lot! Imagine driving around it over the horse shoe bridge:)
Ill bet my grandmothers house the site turns into a plaza, not a skyscraper. A nice thought, but fantasy land...

Also look at Milligan st, it looks to be a elevated walkway?
I wonder how accurate this render is? If it is, remember you saw it first on Skyscrapercity.com..hehe
Its not an elevated walkway, just a lazy artist not integrating it with the original pic. Look at the map...

Im all for a couple of increased height limits. I did want to see at least one lake incorporated into this design, or another small park taking up at least a block, forcing buildings to be slightly higher in the process due to less land.

#1,201 ·
Sure that does fit there design outlines, tall with nice tall podiums. Looks like good hights 60-115m.

#1,204 ·
I think im all for density over height atm... prefer two 125m to one 250m, it will make the city seem bigger and improve the overall effect, after all they probably wont be so visable from the river which is where the skyline is normally seen...

#1,205 ·
250m is a pipe dream for this area and the best thing about this site is that river veiws will be limited it will be dense and pedestrain freindly with great design and function. Trendy not luxury and not cheap.

#1,206 ·
Anyone Agree Telstra looks so outta place in that Pic?? So Ugly duckling for me. ALthough its taller than most of them.

I dont think you will get anything 250+. As much as im hoping so, i very much doubt it. Heck i doubt we will get anything 200m. But heres for Hoping.
:cheers:

#1,210 ·
New police forensic facility will help cut crime further
www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au
12/12/06

A new $25million police forensic facility (in Midland) - the best of its kind in Australia - was opened today by Police Minister John Kobelke.

The new facility sits alongside the Police Communications Centre and is part of a complex which will include a $21million State Traffic Facility in 2008, and will provide WA Police with a permanent home for its Forensic Division.

“The result is nothing short of impressive, with a forensic facility that boasts specifically designed work areas and laboratories custom made to suit the latest forensic investigative practices,” Mr Kobelke said.

“This facility is considered to be the best of its kind in Australia and there can be no doubt about the difference it will make to WA Police.

“It puts our agency at the cutting edge, in terms of our forensics resources and capabilities.”

The Minister said many areas of modern policing relied on forensic technology and it was an important resource to assist police in doing their job.

“The investment in this facility will translate into an increase in clearance rates for many crimes,” he said.

“WA Police have been producing some fantastic results over the past couple of years and the State Government has publicly acknowledged this on many occasions.

“Crime rates in this State are now at the lowest level for a decade.”

Mr Kobelke said the State Government was committed to providing police officers with the resources and tools they needed to get the job done.

The State Government had dedicated $122million to the WA Police for capital works, technology and equipment over 2006-07.

As part of this program, almost $70million would be spent on the design and construction of 21 new metropolitan and regional police stations and facilities over the course of this year and next.

#1,214 ·
I think a life time could be a probability though not a certainty. This multi-resource commodity boom is definately a once in a life time opportunity as is the property boom. If conditions are not ripe now, they might never be.

There are many cities in the USA who's tallest buildings were built between the 1970's and early 1990's. And most of those cities newest buildings rarely come close in height. Perth it seems has gone that way. And it looks to continue, specially with the building of office towers away from the terrace.

#1,216 ·
Sustainable growth is the key, dependant on how long this can last, will effect on our ability to change. Achieve that and we can work towards long term diversification. One way to achieve long term growth is make Perth an attractive know alternative to the east coast giants and that’s what all the talk is about at the moment, because we have momentum and investment and that can be used to diversify our industry base. It’s not like we are going to sit down and cry that it all might come to an end. Also never underestimate Urban renewal as an industry on its own. Life after our resources is sure a long way away and in my lifetime we won’t stop mining.

Defiantly the time to be a perthite if you want to have a say in future direction.

#1,215 ·
I am a skyscraper enthusiast, BUT I'd rather see this boom spent on increasing Perth's depth, density and architectural quality (this includes correcting some of our uglies from the past). So many SS zealots on this forum are only after talls. I think they will be waiting their whole lifetime before we see another biggy... and it might be an anticlimax.

Although we are going through a resource boom, conditions are NOT ripe for another 200m+ scraper. Labour costs too much, and Perth business needs office space over an iconic tower. After all, $200 million doesn't buy you what it used too.

#1,217 ·
It would have to be a billion dollar project no doubt and to get those returns it needs to be tall, large. You will need instant returns, medium and long term returns to have any hope of long term gain from such an investment. It would have to be a class act, executed at the right time by a genius. Don’t think Eureka and Q1 in terms of size they are both small in comparative to other oz skyscrapers. One advantage is technology, in ten years time 200m buildings will be cheaper again and for one thing they won’t be as impressive internationally.

Don’t write of large buildings yet, the market conditions won’t support them at the moment. But that is probably set to change sooner or later, dont forget what the hell will the world look like when your 70.

#1,219 ·
in other news, the guy who owns the land for the new police complex on the cnr of lake and roe has just lodged his own plans for a $140m redevelopment of the site which includes 9 level buildings consisting of apartments on upper floors, offices on lower floors and retail @ ground floor. Designed to fit in with the N.Bridge link and does so quite nicely. Really hope this guy gets his way and the state don't take the land away.

Do u have pics, Scribbler?

#1,221 ·
Why not build it next to the Arena carpark? The land there is free and isn't suited for much else really plus its not far from the preferred site anyhow. It's opposite Metros (reason enough to put it there:p)... Like the guy said in the paper, it's in a prime position, who wants a cop house there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.