SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Trivandrum Projects VI

Tags
trivandrum
5M views 14K replies 557 participants last post by  harikghari 
#1 · (Edited)
#6,801 ·
I have seen PRT system in operation in Masdar City in the UAE which waw started in November 2010. The system has 10 passenger and 3 freight vehicles serving 2 passenger and 3 freight stations connected by 1.2 kilometers of one-way track. It is in operation 18 hours a day, seven days a week serving the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. Trips take about 2 and a half minutes (i.e., an average speed of roughly 12mph / 20km/h) and are presently free of charge. Average wait times are expected to be about 30 seconds.

Many other cities have also expressed their interest in the system.
Already Amrister adn some city in S.Korea are going ahead with the system
It will be definitely a boon for Trvm.

Cheers!!!

#6,805 ·
^^ I think it would be nice if the PRT system can connect Eastfort and kowdiar, since kowdiar has lots of foodcourts.

#6,806 ·
Ajay,
BRTS need a dedicated two lane road. Not a good idea in a city where the land acquisition is a herculean task.
So we put cars in the sky?!! PRT is a system for efficient, local travel which is usually within a dense, mixed-use concept. The PRT concept is very integrally linked with MIT and the MIT Media Lab is perhaps the pioneer in the field of personal, ubiquitous transportation.

This technology is NOT meant for urban mass transit on a city scale.

It seems like anyone who comes with any proposal, however crazy, will get instant approval from this Government! I remember some crazy joker had once done the rounds about a "city on stilts", I am sure if he tried once more this Cabinet would instantly approve it and claim a gazillion bucks in savings and a gazillion jobs created. :nuts:

No one has time for a serious urban and transportation planning exercise in the Trivandrum Metropolitan Area, which should be the logical first step in coming out with the best mass transit and personal travel systems.

Perhaps I should round up a few sayips from hereabouts and fly down to Kerala to propose intra-city Maglevs and flying cars, I am sure I would get approval in a week!!! :lol:

Where is this State headed to?! :eek:hno:

#6,808 ·
^^
This is nothing but to sabotage the Monorail Project.If they really wanted to implement sensibly,why can't the propose the alignments which is meant for Monorail?,say Thampanoor,Overbridge,LMS.If this is much cheaper why they don't propose this system anywhere else in Kerala,but only in TVM?
If they wanted this system why can't they choose; Thampanoor, Thycaud, Vellayambalam, Kowdiar, Peroorkada or Palayam, Pattoor, Chacka, Airport or Ulloor, Medical College, Kannammoola, Palayam as the connectivity for Monorail?

Read the report below.It clearly says,the system proposed is to replace Monorail and of course, NONOrama will boost it.It could've been a replacement for Metro Rail,if necessary as the cost can be reduced considerably as now projected for.

#6,811 ·
I dont know whether the idea is technically sound.
I feel that we should have both Monorail and PRT systems in place one complementing the use of the other
The monorail should pass thru the main streets which are wide and have enough transport volume.Land acquisition can be minimised.
The PRT routes should be the feeder points coming from arterial roads to the Monorail so that the passengers living in remote areas can enjoy the smooth transportation. I hope that less wider raods can accommodate the PRT system
Since both run at elevated psotions connectivity will not be a problem. The passenger will have a smooth transfer from the Monorail to PRT or vice versa.

Cheers!!!

#6,816 ·
(WTF... 10 years to build monorail.Is this guy on weed.) Next proposal will be to give all trivandrumites Segways . Then you don't have to worry about land acquisitions or dedicated tracks . Every one will be happily zipping around the city.
+1. The "inventor" of metro rail in india says much expensive Metro rail in some other district can be completed in 3 years. But monorail in 10 years !!!! :bash:

#6,817 ·
(WTF... 10 years to build monorail.Is this guy on weed.)
Definitely not weed. Been there, done that, and no personal Rail Transport vehicles were injured.

People who cannot ensure delivery and operation of JNNURM buses sit together and come up with "Private Rail Transport". Public Road transport is much better than private rail, but I would really love some of the stuff that they are smoking.

And public water transport - in Trivandrum. Hopefully, the next kinky idea from Kinkel doesnt shove people through sewerage pipes.

Is there nobody to standup and say the King is Naked? Seriously - a youngest Tufts PhD was in the room..

#6,818 ·
So we put cars in the sky?!! PRT is a system for efficient, local travel which is usually within a dense, mixed-use concept.This technology is NOT meant for urban mass transit on a city scale.
It seems like anyone who comes with any proposal, however crazy, will get instant approval from this Government!
No one has time for a serious urban and transportation planning exercise in the Trivandrum Metropolitan Area, which should be the logical first step in coming out with the best mass transit and personal travel systems.
:
Ajay, you forgot to mention cable cars. wouldn't be difficult considering TRV topography. environmental friendly too :). I thought the city was looking for mass transit solutions which would effectively disperse traffic demand in the shortest possible time, with the largest volume in the most cost effective manner, not an housing colony approach.
But on a serious note, as you have said, what is needed is a proper transportation plan for the city with at least a 25 year perspective. And since the city is evolving, see what other metros are doing. take both the negative as well as positive aspects of what is happening in other Indian cities and build the plan. Has there been any evaluation if monorail is cost effective or is there a need for a metro or do we augment the existing rail network with an elevated ring/intermediate road (like the 30 km elevated eastern freeway being constructed in Mumbai). Until a holistic view is not taken we would always see piecemeal approach on such large infrastructure issues.