#1 ·
Durrës Projects and Construction Updates

See less See more
#6 ·
Construction of tourist harbor

Beneficial Ministry of Tourism
Project Name Construction of Tourist Harbors
Executant's Veve Group and Strategic Partners

Veve Group together with its strategic partners from Austria and Slovenia are projecting the construction of possible tourist harbors in Albania. These projects will be financed by European Pension Fund.

#7 ·
Construction of Tourist Countries and Golf Fields.

Beneficial Ministry of Tourism
Project Name Construction of Tourist Countries and Golf Fields.
Executant's Veve Group and strategic partners

Veve Group together with it’s strategic partners from Austria and Slovenia are working on a project for the construction of possible tourist countries and also golf fields in. These projects will be financed by investitors from Austria and Slovenia.

#12 ·
I read an article in Gazeta Shqiptare a while back on a project to develop Durres Port into a Giant Industrial Port for all SEE.
The idea is to make Durres Port the largest in South-Eastern Europe and a key link of import-export for the region.
Let's not forget that once Durres-Prishtine highway is finished in 2008 not only do we have links to Italy but Central Europe as well since Prishtina points towards CE.

#13 ·
i though durres was meant to become the largest ferry port in the balkans. i wouldn't see a reason for it to become the largest port in general in the balkans.

#16 ·
FR said:
I read an article in Gazeta Shqiptare a while back on a project to develop Durres Port into a Giant Industrial Port for all SEE.
The idea is to make Durres Port the largest in South-Eastern Europe and a key link of import-export for the region.
Let's not forget that once Durres-Prishtine highway is finished in 2008 not only do we have links to Italy but Central Europe as well since Prishtina points towards CE.
Technically impossible. It is shallow and it cannot manage ships over a certain limit to be a big port. Vlora port on the other hand can manage up to 340.000t ships. I will supply a full technical analysis later on. ;)

#17 ·
OK, here goes a little technical info, found on an article of ABC newspaper (November 19th, 2004):

Durres bay is generally shallow. At 7000m from the seashore the sea reches 10.5-11m of depth. In Vlora on the other hand, at 5600m away from the shore the sea reaches 20m of depth. The surface of the aquatorium in Durres port is 685.000 square meteres. The port of Durres can easily manage ships from 3000 to 5000 tones. The port of Vlora has the ability to manage ships from 300.000-500.000 tones.

#18 ·
Why don't we change the name of the thread "[Albania] Coastal Projects", so we can post relevant information regarding other coastal projects. I think it would't be practical to open separate threads for every city. For big projects, like master plans for cities when we have enough images and information to show we can open specific threads.

Anyway, I wanted to post some information on Vlora and the industrial developments taking place there.

This is what is about to get built:

A new port is about to get built to serve the needs of the "Petrolifera Italo-Albanese". the port will handle ships up to 25.000t.

AMBO terminal, with a daily capacity of 300.000m3.

Gas and regasification impiant with a yearly capacity of 4 milliard m3.

A termoelectric central.

Storing facilities for ARMO (National company for oil and gas)

Storing facilities for gas and liquid gas.

All this industrial development caused cocnern among enviromental activists who gathered the sigantures to have a local referendum take place for this. the Central Electoral Comission has not pronounces yet. I still can't make up my mind whether all this should happen or not. It is a lot of money to waste though....

#19 ·
imo i think they hould have made the north industrial and leave the south for tourism.

it's nice because it starts to bring investment there but like FR said before it can mess up the enviornment. imagine if an oil spill were to happen. then we're fucked.

btw the daily capacity of the AMBO oil pipeline is about 750,000 barrels per day.

#20 ·
lakerdar123 said:
imo i think they hould have made the north industrial and leave the south for tourism.

it's nice because it starts to bring investment there but like FR said before it can mess up the enviornment. imagine if an oil spill were to happen. then we're fucked.

btw the daily capacity of the AMBO oil pipeline is about 750,000 barrels per day.
750.000-1.000.000 bpd

Anyways, I think that it is not a matter of where we want investments to take place but where do investors think it is strategically better to make them. It appears that all of them are stuck in Vlora regarding all oil, gas and energy investments.

The question is:

Can tourism in Vlora bring in as much or nearly as much money and employment as these investments?

AMBO is stupid. In the end it will give Albania (and Macedonia) only 5.000.000€ per year.

Regarding TEC-s, on the other hand, we are in no position to refuse investments of financing for them. The energy crisis is costing millions to us and we cannot afford such thing to happen.

The other question we can ask is if we can use our hydric potential to overcome the situation by building new small and medium HEC-s and still avoid major pollution problems in Vlora and thus let the tourism industry breathe peacefully.

#21 ·
I believe that the reasons why the TEC is being built is not as much for the energy crises of the Albania, but for the energy suppply of the pipeline (I suppose pumps, security systems and all that).
Also, haven't there been words of a new major half-billion euro HEC? Anything happening with or not?

#24 ·
^^ ye i agree. the ports north of us are farther away from europe. still though. how can durres beat patra. we'll see.