SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Ankara - The Turkish Capital

51K views 217 replies 56 participants last post by  DU999 
#1 ·
Recently I have been to Ankara and these are pics I have taken.

Let's start with Ulus. Ulus is a quarter which is located at the old center of the city. Ulus was once the heart of the young turkish capital but today it has lost it's old spirit. But there is still hope for this quarter a renovation and recreation project could change the whole quarter. Many of the old and important buildings are in good condition and few of them e.g. the first and second parliament buildings are even open for visitors.

See less See more
#114 ·
I was an exchange student living in Ankara 15 years ago. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have forgotten many of the aspects of the city, but looking at this thread has helped me to recollect some of my experiences.

I must say, I wasn't very impressed overall with Ankara when I lived there. Some parts felt boring/stale, due to the predominance of government facilities. Other parts felt run down. The suburbs were just beginning to expand.

That said, these photos show how far the city has come in the last 15 years. It looks much more vibrant and exciting. Part of the problem for me was that I spent much of my year living well outside of the city, due to my host families. One of my friends lived in Cankaya and I think she was definitely in a better location.

Also it's nice to see that there's better public transportation in place currently. I used to either have to ride a bus or take a Dolmus everywhere I wanted to go. Blah.

Anyway, thank you all for posting these great photos. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

#122 · (Edited)
Cankaya was and is still the heart of the city it was always the home of night life, fashion etc. in Ankara. If you ask me Cankaya is the real Ankara. Of course the suburbs of Ankara developed during the last years but they can not compete with Cankaya.

Buses and dolmus like buses are still part of the "Ankarian" life. There are better transportation oppurtunities but it could have been done much more. Unfortunately, the city has a very bad mayor but for some unknown reason he is elected again and again.

#115 ·
meaoh said:
I was an exchange student living in Ankara 15 years ago. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have forgotten many of the aspects of the city, but looking at this thread has helped me to recollect some of my experiences.

I must say, I wasn't very impressed overall with Ankara when I lived there. Some parts felt boring/stale, due to the predominance of government facilities. Other parts felt run down. The suburbs were just beginning to expand.

That said, these photos show how far the city has come in the last 15 years. It looks much more vibrant and exciting. Part of the problem for me was that I spent much of my year living well outside of the city, due to my host families. One of my friends lived in Cankaya and I think she was definitely in a better location.

Also it's nice to see that there's better public transportation in place currently. I used to either have to ride a bus or take a Dolmus everywhere I wanted to go. Blah.

Anyway, thank you all for posting these great photos. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
interesting

ive heard that alot, both from visitors to ankara and my turkish friends

the city seems a little lifeless, stale, it also seems to be tougher to live in in comparisson to western turkey, economicaly and socialy

it truely is a government city

#127 ·
It is a government city but also a city of students with 12 universities. Therefore it is not fair to say that Ankara is lifeless. You can't compare Ankara and Istanbul cuz Istanbul is another level. But believe me Ankara is definitely more colorful than some important european cities.

#117 ·
I am back with few new pics and this time I also want to show you guys some pics from Sogutözü district.
Sögütözü is actually a business district which is under construction. However already completed, quality low and high rise buildings gives an impression of how the district will look like in near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.