SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai | Metro

Tags
mumbai
7M views 34K replies 805 participants last post by  Dahanukarwadi 
#1 · (Edited)
Project Introduction:

The Mumbai metro is a rapid transit system being developed by both the PPP (Public-Private Partnership) and EPC models. Line 1 and Line 2 are being developed with Reliance as the consortium head while Line 3 is going to be developed by an implementation agency called MMRC whose role is similar to the DMRC in the Delhi Metro project.

Phase I
Code:
[B]Line #                Route          Length(Kms) Stations   Special Purpose Vehicle [/B]
Line 1 Versova - Andheri - Ghatkopar   11.4         12      Mumbai Metro One  Pvt. Ltd.
Line 2 Charkop - Bandra - Mankhurd     32           27      Mumbai Metro Transport Pvt. Ltd.
Line 3 SEEPZ - BKC - Colaba            33           25      Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation

Official Website of Line 1

Line 1 Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar - 11.4 Kms - Under Construction

1) GENERAL

o Journey time: 21 minutes
o Frequency: 3.5 minutes, going down to 3 minutes during peak hours
o Fares # (2003-2004 level)
+ Rs. 6 upto 3 Kms.
+ Rs. 8 between 3 Kms.to 8 Kms.
+ Rs. 10 beyond 8 Kms.

# Fares indicated are for 2003-2004 level and shall be revised @ 11% every fourth year (rounded off to the nearest rupee). Fares shall be fixed by Government of Maharashtra, through a notification.

2 ) ALIGNMENT

* The Proposed Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar Metro corridor will be 11.40 Km long double line on elevated viaduct with Standard Gauge (1435 mm)
* The proposed alignment starts at Versova, runs along the JP Road, crosses the SV Road and Western Railway tracks to the North of existing Andheri Suburban Railway Station
* The alignment travels on the MV Road ( Andheri-Kurla Road). It crosses the Western Express Highway (WEH) above the existing flyover and reaches Sakinaka
* From Sakinaka the alignment travels along the Andheri-Ghatkopar link Road upto Asalpha
* After Asalpha, the alignment crosses the Kadam Road and runs through Golibar Road upto LBS Marg after taking almost 90 degrees turn behind the Sarvodaya Hospital
* From the LBS Marg the alignment passes along the Heera Chand Desai Road upto Ghatkopar proposed Metro Station near the Ghatkopar Suburban Railway Station
* The take off point for Car depot is located near proposed DN Nagar Metro Station

3) CIVIL

* Elevated Viaduct with PSC Segmental construction
* Car Depot at DN Nagar
* Ballastless track
* Operational Control Centre (OCC), Metro Head Office and maintenance depots in the Car Depot premises
* There are twelve stations on the route. They are - Versova, D.N. Nagar, Azad Nagar, Andheri, Western Express Highway (WEH), Chakala, Airport Road, Marol Naka, Saki Naka, Subhash Nagar, Asalpha Road, Ghatkopar

4 ) ROLLING STOCK - provided by CSR Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Co. from China

Render:

Actual Train:

The first rake arrived at the GTI port in Mumbai in March 2010:

Line 1 Station Designs:

WEH Station

Versova Station

Line 2 Charkop - Bandra - Mankhurd - 32 Kms - Approved

Line 3 SEEPZ - BKC - Colaba/Cuffe Parade - 33 Kms - Planning stage

Phase 1

Master Plan

See less See more
#4,704 ·
DUDE why u interfering in mumbai city ur frm bangalore na so why dont u write all dis crap in ur site and they must have thought alot before taking dis matter so ur presence in unethical!!!!!!!!
i am with you my punjabi friend. lets fight against India and make mumbai and bangalore two different countries. that will teach a lesson to them bangaloreans.

#4,705 · (Edited)
DUDE why u interfering in mumbai city ur frm bangalore na so why dont u write all dis crap in ur site and they must have thought alot before taking dis matter so ur presence in unethical!!!!!!!!
As if your presence is Ethical?
Because I lived there for 12 bloody years and still visit the damn place every six months.
Fine, I'll reduce my posts here.
If I find you spewing nonsense in Chennai related threads, I'll say the same to YOU.
Practise what you preach Rohan Punjabi and get your rear end to "your own site" then. The only "crap" I see in this thread is from you.

I'm Hyderabadi living in Dubai and I visit Mumbai more often than I vist Hyderabad. Regardless, to each his own opinion. You can't tell someone to refrain from posting what they think is right.

As far as I know, SSCi is for all Indians - you want to create regionalism good for you. All I can say is that it's not appreciated. Have a good day.
Sorry bro, but this guy is right you know.
We non residents of the city have no idea what is going on. No matter how frequent our visits are, we still are Outsiders.

#4,706 ·
Why will the cost be double? Especially in case of underground, it will just be laying tracks and providing extra amneties for the increse in volume of passengers. The cost may be utmost 1.5 times, I think. Am I missing something.
Of course it would. By double I don't mean exactly 2.0 times but it could be 1.7 times more expensive. You would need 4 tunnels instead of 2 to carry 4 tracks. You would need stations twice as wide to accommodate 4 platforms (in case of stations where fast trains stop).

#4,707 ·
Of course it would. By double I don't mean exactly 2.0 times but it could be 1.7 times more expensive. You would need 4 tunnels instead of 2 to carry 4 tracks. You would need stations twice as wide to accommodate 4 platforms (in case of stations where fast trains stop).
Yes, but that is if done at one go. If it is later expansion, inflation and other factors will increase the cost.
Knowing our city planners, you know what will happen..

#4,709 · (Edited)
Is that an MMRDA skywalk or a part of MM1?
I only said that because third rail is always 750V DC. DC is more expensive and difficult to generate and transmit as opposed to AC, which we find in the OHC.

#4,710 ·
Fine. But still it is the only feasibe solution. But with the kinda planners, we have, it is not going to happen.

The elevated route means no expansion of metro (quadraping tracks) and no improvement in the road network (in the form of flyovers and elevated roads) at major junctions in future. And this happens in a place which has a consistent density of over 50k throughout with some places reaching 75k -1 lakh.

#4,712 ·
METRO-2 MAY BYPASS BANDRA STATION ROAD

To Avoid Land Acquisition Problems, Chief Sec Proposes Alternative Route That Includes Mahim

Sandeep Ashar & Ashley Dmello | TNN

Even as Mumbai Metro Transport Private Limited is close to finalizing plans for the Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd line, state chief secretary Ratnakar Gaikwad has asked planners to consider changing a portion of the proposed alignment to avoid land acquisition problems. In a recent meeting, he asked Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) officials to explore the option of changing the corridor alignment for a two-kmstretch at the Bandra end of the line. Gaikwad, who was the MMRDA commissioner before taking charge as the state chief secretary, said the reason he asked for a re-evaluation of existing plans was to overcome contentious issues involving land acquisition in Bandra. After covering the distance from Charkop to National College at Bandra along Linking Road, the alignment—as per the original proposal—runs along the Station Road at Bandra, before taking a turn towards the Bandra Kurla Complex. Land acquisition for the project for this stretch of the route is considered to be a contentious issue. Commercial shops and hawkers line the narrow road. A three-storey mosque, slum structures and a skywalk—which was recently set up—are also expected to make land acquisition and project work difficult.
The chief secretary said he had asked officials to explore the option of avoiding the station road entirely. “The Metro could instead use S V Road up to Mahim junction before turning towards the Bandra Kurla Complex,” he said.
A senior MMRDA official pointed out that the proposed alignment steers clear of the mosque and slums. But using the S V Road route will also mean dismantling a portion of skywalk, which connects S V Road to Bandra station.
The corridor is proposed to cover a 32-km stretch from Charkop to Bandra to Mankhurd, and is expected to be constructed at the cost of Rs 8,250 crore. The Mumbai Metro Transport Private Limited (MMTPL), a special-purpose vehicle for setting up the
corridor, is in the process of finalizing the alignment. MMRDA officials said that designs for the final alignment were yet to be frozen and recommendations for changes in the proposed alignment could be discussed and explored.
MMTPL achieved financial closure for the project recently, and work on the corridor is expected to begin next month. It is scheduled for completion by December 2015.

#4,713 ·
MMRDA closer to getting land for rakes

Mumbai: The Maharashtra government plans to fast track work for all the nine Metro corridors and proposed monorail routes. Land availability for car sheds had slowed down the work for the first two Metro corridors. Now, however, the government has processed the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority’s (MMRDA) proposal for reservation of 14 plots for the use of car sheds and depots for all proposed corridors.
These car sheds and depots are meant for servicing and parking rakes when not in use, and usually require large tracts of land.
MMRDA, in its proposal—which it had submitted to the state government earlier this year—has staked its claim on 14 plots, which include private land and those that have already been reserved for public purposes.
According to state officials, the Urban Development (UD) department has said that the MMRDA’s proposal is feasible and desirable in the case of most plots. The file is now with state chief minister Prithviraj Chavan, who also holds the UD cabinet minister’s portfolio.
The 14 plots include sites at Dahisar, Borivli, Kandivli, Malad, Goregaon, Vile Parle, Oshiwara, Govandi and Mankhurd. UD department officials added that a change of reservation exercise would have to be undertaken in the case of plots already reserved for another purpose.
MMRDA planners indicated that two of these plots could be dropped from the list on account of Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) norms. The development authority is also intent on fast forwarding work on all the nine proposed metro corridors, and has already called for detailed project reports. The nine routes include the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar (VAG) corridor, work on which is expected to be completed latest by February next year, and the Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd (CBM) corridor, which is expected to begin soon.
Other corridors include the Colaba-Mahim-Bandra, Charkop-Dahisar, Ghatkopar-Mulund, BKC-Kanjur Marg, Andheri (E)-Dahisar (E), Hutatma Chowk-Ghatkopar, and Sewri-Prabhadevi.

Staking Claim

In a proposal submitted to the state government early this year, the MMDRA had staked its claim on 14 plots

Location | Area (in hectares) Bangur Nagar, Goregaon | 32

Kasturi Nagar, Malad | 47

Near Atharva College, Malad West | 25

Mandala, Mankhurd | 27

Govandi | 80

Kandivli | 59

Dahisar Check Naka, Central Government land | over 100

Samarth Nagar, Kandivli |

Eksar Village near IC Colony Borivli | 100

JVPD, Vile Parle | 3

VSNL Borivli | 40

Source: MMRDA

#4,715 ·
And to think the dimwit was in charge till a few months back!

To Avoid Land Acquisition Problems, Chief Sec Proposes Alternative Route That Includes Mahim

Even as Mumbai Metro Transport Private Limited is close to finalizing plans for the Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd line, state chief secretary Ratnakar Gaikwad has asked planners to consider changing a portion of the proposed alignment to avoid land acquisition problems. In a recent meeting, he asked Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) officials to explore the option of changing the corridor alignment for a two-kmstretch at the Bandra end of the line. Gaikwad, who was the MMRDA commissioner before taking charge as the state chief secretary, said the reason he asked for a re-evaluation of existing plans was to overcome contentious issues involving land acquisition in Bandra. After covering the distance from Charkop to National College at Bandra along Linking Road, the alignment—as per the original proposal—runs along the Station Road at Bandra, before taking a turn towards the Bandra Kurla Complex. Land acquisition for the project for this stretch of the route is considered to be a contentious issue. Commercial shops and hawkers line the narrow road. A three-storey mosque, slum structures and a skywalk—which was recently set up—are also expected to make land acquisition and project work difficult.
The chief secretary said he had asked officials to explore the option of avoiding the station road entirely. “The Metro could instead use S V Road up to Mahim junction before turning towards the Bandra Kurla Complex,” he said.
A senior MMRDA official pointed out that the proposed alignment steers clear of the mosque and slums. But using the S V Road route will also mean dismantling a portion of skywalk, which connects S V Road to Bandra station.
The corridor is proposed to cover a 32-km stretch from Charkop to Bandra to Mankhurd, and is expected to be constructed at the cost of Rs 8,250 crore. The Mumbai Metro Transport Private Limited (MMTPL), a special-purpose vehicle for setting up the
corridor, is in the process of finalizing the alignment. MMRDA officials said that designs for the final alignment were yet to be frozen and recommendations for changes in the proposed alignment could be discussed and explored.
MMTPL achieved financial closure for the project recently, and work on the corridor is expected to begin next month. It is scheduled for completion by December 2015.

#4,720 ·

Ridiculous and again almost not feasible. It will obstruct traffic flow to /from the island city into the suburbs during construction . And will cost Mumbai Economy severely. And that area cannot take any more elevated strcutures. The roads are already very narrow.

And will they do the same for all the problems that might come up in Kurla and Mankhurd. First they have todo a proper survey on land acquaiistion before starting.