SkyscraperCity Forum banner

#PROJECT: DOUBLE DECKER ROADS

16K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  davsot 
#1 ·
I think this deserves its own thread... massive! :runaway:

Use this thread for future double decker road projects as well

Double decker road to open in 2008

DH605m two-layer structure on Dubai's Doha street will accommodate the increasing volume of traffic.

Dubai: The first double decker road in Dubai will be built on Doha Street to cater for increasing traffic near new developments such as the Burj Dubai - deemed the tallest building in the world.

The two kilometre two-layer road is part of the bigger Ras Al Khor Road Network project, which is being built at a cost of Dh1.85 billion in line with directions from His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.

The double decker road will improve traffic on Al Doha Road and ensure smooth traffic flow to new development projects such as the Burj Dubai and the Dubai International Financial Centre.

The two-layer road includes three lanes towards Jumeirah and five lanes towards the Al Khail Road, and will accommodate 9,000 vehicles per hour.

This project will start in August this year to be completed in August 2008, at a cost of Dh605 million.

"All our new projects are designed to reduce traffic congestion in the whole city and not just one area," Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA), told a press conference on Tuesday.

Maitha Obaid Bin Udai, Chief Executive Officer of the Traffic and Roads Department at the RTA, Nabeel Mohammad Saleh, Director of the Roads Department, and Badar Al Siri, Director of the Traffic Department, were also present to explain the upcoming road projects.

The Ras Al Khor Road network project consists of a new road corridor stretching almost 15 km from the airport tunnel in the north through to the first Intersection (Defence Roundabout) on Shaikh Zayed Road in the south.

"It is the biggest road network project ever launched in Dubai in terms of its impact on traffic in the emirate," said Al Tayer.

The project also involves the construction of Ras Al Khor Bridge (the fourth crossing over the creek) and an expressway from the first Interchange on Shaikh Zayed Road, passing through Doha Street and Jeddaf and linking with the airport tunnel via the fourth crossing.

The fourth crossing will comprise 13 lanes with six lanes towards Bur Dubai and seven lanes towards Deira. It will have a capacity of 27,000 vehicles per hour in both directions.

The new crossing will open to traffic in January 2007.

There will be a total of five free flow interchanges that will include construction of more than 20 bridges and five tunnels.

The project has been divided into six contracts.

Four of them are under construction to be completed in March 2008 while the full road network will be operational by August 2008.

See less See more
#2 ·
i also think this project is one of the most important road developments for dubai apart from the metro and creek crossings.

i think they should not build 8 lanes, but even 10 or 12, so that they won't have to extend it later on.

remember this will not only serve BD and DIFC as main access but also BB and even The Lagoons.

what i would like to see is a whole new map showing RaK road network along with 1st IC.

also, i want to see the plans for Al Khail road which might become the new SZR in some years..

btw poor al murooj :D

---------

overall i really think the RTA will be able to handle the traffic in the end.
since they newly launched it, they have done so many massive things which don't only seem to be smaller improvements and trying to repair the things rushed and missed before, but really have a concept.

#5 ·
^^ lol ok thanks.

a pity well this is really important, it means access (and good access) to BD etc from Airport withouth having to use Trade centre R/A and avoid Garhoud.

they have to focus in out metha road (which they do) and al khail road (which they also do afaik)

very good. oh and they have to connect the metro to Burj dubai station from Garhoud running along al Khail road, this would mean access for BB DIFC Lagoons, festival city and even CV.

#11 ·
Krazy said:
now watch out for those crazy emirati teenage boys try their stunts with their white nissan patrols on top of these deckered roads ;)

:runaway:

can land cruisers fly?

#18 ·
no matter how luxurious u make the metro... it will still hurt the pride and ego of the rich in Dubai... they are too used to their Range Rovers and Benz to hop on a metro to get from say Satwa to Jumeirah...

The only way they can make people use the metro (other than the lower and middle class) is by introducing taxes for vehicle owners - london style

#22 ·
I dont feel any pain for al murooj. If your apartment can be out built by a double decker express way you made a poor choice. And yes agree Krazy but the culture is so hard to change. Dubai is a long way of compeating with London transport system( of course)

#24 ·
dubaiflo said:
i drove along such a road in singapore and if done reasonable this is nothing bad, quite a good solution actually. but some trees under the elevated road and it is fine.
This road perhaps? (Just 1 of many)
There have been comments that its an eyesore but it allows traffic to bypass traffic lights on the ground level in this busy part of Singapore (near the port)and the vegetation planted beneath the viaduct helps to soften the harsh concrete environment.

Construction Period (Phases 1 & 2): June 1998 - 26 March 2006

#25 ·
ignoramus said:
This road perhaps? (Just 1 of many)
There have been comments that its an eyesore but it allows traffic to bypass traffic lights on the ground level in this busy part of Singapore (near the port)and the vegetation planted beneath the viaduct helps to soften the harsh concrete environment.

Construction Period (Phases 1 & 2): June 1998 - 26 March 2006

There will be a suspension bridge in Dubai Beginning bridge in Khor Dubai And ends at the port of Jabal Ali 60 km 3 tracks in each direction

I think the bridge rise 7 meters or 17meters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.