SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SOCHI - Fisht Olympic Stadium (47,659)

770K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  ElvisBC 
#1 ·
A good reason to back the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games bid.

See less See more
#3 ·
how many seats?

#5 ·
fudge there renderings are superb. and their olympic park proposal is wicked...
Olympic Stadium—Opening and
Closing Ceremonies

The Sochi Olympic Stadium design was inspired by Russia’s
famous Faberge Egg. Located at the Black Sea coast, the
stadium walls and roof are one continuous glass surface
that reflects the brilliant sunlight off the sea during the day.
The intimate seating bowl opens to the north, allowing for a
breathtaking view of the Krasnaya Polyana Mountains, and the
upper deck is open to the south, allowing for a dramatic view
of the Black Sea. The stadium features 40,000 seats, all under
cover, and 60 luxury suites. The stadium will serve as a training
centre and venue for the Russian Football National Team after the
2014 Games. All athlete and technical official functions, including
entries are located on the same level as the field of play.

#7 ·
o_o i hope they don't win.

#8 ·
In the wonderful nation of former U.S.S.R. Anyways, I thought the stadium would have a bigger capacity than 40k. It reminds of the London Olympic Stadium sans ugly leaf protrusions. If they win, Vancouver might as well just blow up BC Place and have the ceremony on an open parking lot in Downtown Eastside. Same difference.

#21 ·
Its time for Russia in 2014. Such a powerful Winter Olympic nation to have never hosted. It's a good chance for Russia to show its new face. It is a different country to the one that hosted the 1980 Olympics.

If Vancouver 2010 is the "Sydney 2000" of the Winter Olympics, then Sochi 2014 is the "Beijing 2008"

#23 ·
I really don't care a thing about a Winter Olympic stadium. In Summer Olympics, much more often takes place within the stadium. Here, people march in and march out, you don't need flair. The Salt Lake City ceremonies were held in a 46,000 capacity college football stadium with no fancy glass rooves or glamour. Worked fine.

#31 ·
According to the bid index, Salzburg is ahead of the other candidate cities followed by the others. Strange isn't it but hasn't Austria already hosted the winter olympiad twice? :dunno: Oh well, personally, the olympics (winter or summer) need to be restricted to being held in first world, developed, democracies which basically means that only the northern hemisphere (except for Australia) and only North America, Western Europe, and In East Asia (South Korea, Japan). :yes: I mean no athlete want to come to compete in a nation where they have to endure the sight of starving beggers eating insects. :eek:hno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.