SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEWSPAPER Headlines, Front Pages and Articles - From 'times past' in Local and Regional Newspapers

178K views 118 replies 18 participants last post by  Steve Ellwood 
#1 · (Edited)
I know we have the Historic Newcastle thread, and that a LOT of old Newspaper Articles have featured on there, and doubtless will continue to do so.

It is just that I have (as I am sure many others have) a number of copies of "old issues" of our main local newspapers, that do not necessarily contain articles or items about the topics we discuss here on SSC, but are interesting simply because they are 'old' and from our region.

They are part of our history . . . the story of how we got here and why we are how we are today!

I thought it would be good to have a 'dedicated' thread, where examples of (mainly) "Front Pages" from them could be shown, starting with . . .

Evening Chronicle - Monday August 17th 1959.

The above 'first example' I originally thought was actually about something that we HAVE discussed on here, the bombing of Manors Goods Yard during the war, but it is about a later warehouse fire near Manors Station, in 1959. I don't think it was at the 'Manors Goods Yard' . . though I may be wrong about that?

Most 'old newspaper' examples, will not be about SSC related issues or subjects though, I would imagine!

Actually, what finally convinced me to start this thread today, was the item in the next post that is from todays (30th March 2010) copy of the Journal.

See less See more
#72 ·
The Journal - Friday September 28th 1990.

We have just had the 30th Great North Run, this was the TENTH. Bit of a coincidence with this year, as 'yet again' I was going to run, but didn't . . . OR (more like) I just DIDN'T!! . . .

As ever, I am happy to do enlargements of particular articles from the above page, if requested!

#73 ·
The Journal - Thursday June 5th 2003.

The NewcastleGateshead Capital of Culture BID.

This seems like only '5 minutes' ago to me.

I had a day off, so we were relaxing and watching Breakfast Tele to get the news about our 2008 Capital of Culture Bid.

I have to say, while we were runaway favourites with the bookies and most 'experts', I had a feeling of unease. It has not been my lifelong experience that where 'London' has a say in anything, that we get any kind of dramatic benefit! It just doesn't happen.

So, when the deadpan voice on the television said . . . "and the winner of the 2008 Capital of Culture bid is Liverpool" . . . I was NOT surprised.

enlarged . .

As ever, I am happy to do enlargements of particular articles from the above page, if requested!

#76 ·
A "Slight Variation" from the NORM, for this thread - but I thought it was the appropriate place to put all this . . .

Your Evening Chronicle celebrates 125 years
November 2nd 2010, Evening Chronicle

TODAY we bring you a special souvenir supplement in the paper celebrating our 125th anniversary.

Our team have been through the archives to find photographs, many of them not seen since they were first published many years ago, and source information for our reports.

Some of the paper’s best-loved writers, like John Gibson in Sport, have provided us with copy, while we make no apologies for reproducing a report by the late and much-loved writer Eric Forster which he produced to commemorate our 100th anniversary in 1985.

There's also the views from Tyneside's great and good about how important the Chronicle has been for the region, from Toon icons such as Alan Shearer and John Beresford, to MPs, council chiefs, and celebrities.

We also look at the way the Chronicle is created, printed and distributed down the years, plus there's an in-depth look at that other institution as Gibbo names his greatest ever Toon team.

The supplement is free and inside the paper tonight (Tuesday), and from everyone here we thank you for your support.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...rates-125-years-72703-27583751/#ixzz148fk9JXb

Queen and PM hail Chronicle 125th birthday
November 2nd 2010, by Tom Mullen, Evening Chronicle

HER Majesty the Queen has sent a message of congratulation as the Chronicle today celebrates its 125th anniversary.

Queen Elizabeth II led the tributes with a letter from Buckingham Palace.

In it Her Majesty said: “I was interested to learn about the paper.

“I send my warm good wishes to all concerned on this most special anniversary.”

Prime Minister David Cameron also sent his best wishes in a long letter from 10 Downing Street.

He said: “I’m delighted to send my congratulations to the Chronicle.

“For 125 years this paper has been the voice of the North East, championing local causes and reflecting the opinions of the communities it serves.

“It’s a testament to what a great job this paper does that during this time it has handled the competition from radio, television and the internet.

“And its continuing success for all these years is a benchmark for others to follow. Local news is so important for the strength of our democracy and our society.

“It holds the powerful to account and brings local people together – and that’s why I want to see more of it.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...-125th-birthday-72703-27584250/#ixzz148gqdXfi

Read the first edition of the Chronicle from 1885
November 2nd 2010, Evening Chronicle

HERE it is – the very first edition of the Evening Chronicle.

Priced One Half-Penny, the paper’s front page was full of nothing but adverts, as was the style of the times.

A glance at it reveals everything seemed to have been available - from dynamite, magnetic belts for lumbago, to tobacco, teeth and blankets!

Happily, some of those who advertised with us in our very first edition, continue to do so today.

The paper was four pages and came with a four page "Gratis supplement" of "Songs of the People, English Selection".

It contained the lyrics to dozens of popular songs of the day, and was to be followed with four pages of Scottish songs.

Little wonder that adverts and song sheets featured so heavily - after all, there appears to have been very little of what we now call news on that day.

Indeed, we reported on an "Alleged attempted murder at Middlesborough" - which you will see was wrongly spelt.

"An amusing case" concerning the "troubles of a Low Fell Pitman" who was accused of attacking his wife after she asked to go dancing!

There were further stories on the new American consul, stoppage of iron works at Middlesbrough - this time spelt correctly, and ships intelligence.

Meanwhile in Sport we carried reports on horse racing, "aquatics on the Blyth" a "billiard handicap at Willington" and cycling, while in football we reported on a "pedestrian match at Newcastle".

Click below the read our very first copy.

http://edition.pagesuite-profession...ID=77465649-1302-46c6-9e3b-a4dd7d676623&skip=

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...nicle-from-1885-72703-27583644/#ixzz148hP1agR

#78 ·
Within the 'inside pages' of the newspaers in the previous post from November 5th 2004, from when we rejected the proposal for an elected independent
North East England Regional Assembly - there is an interesting breakdown of how each part of our region actually voted.

How did your area vote??

#81 ·
These Front Page News Headlines were shown on here a few months ago, but as this week is (unbelievably) the 30 Year Anniversary of John Lennon's murder (http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2010/12/06/the-day-john-lennon-died-review-sad-anniversary/) then I thought I would show them once again, this week . . .

Evening Chronicle - Tuesday December 9th 1980.

Then, a photo of Lennon with his killer, signing an autograph for him a few hours earlier, in the next days DAILY MAIL of 10th December 1980.

#82 ·
Evening Chronicle February 16th 1963 - the 1963 "Frozen North" Supplement.

After not having had serious winter weather to speak of in the Newcastle area since 1986, last winter was a big shock to most of us, as repeated cold and snow descended on the region for the first time in 23 years. We had (over that 23 years) 'occasional reminders' of the existence of snow, though they were few and far between. I remember when we had some snow in the middle of this 'era', in 1999, and all the mothers with young children up to the age of 12 or 13 were so excited that their children had been able to build snowmen and so on, for the first time ever.

Back in the 1960s, bad winters were more normal, and I particularly remember the long, long, winter of 1963. It actually started at the very back end of 1962, to be precise on my birthday (24th December) as I was walking past St Georges Church at the top of Osborne Road. It looked lovely I thought, how nice for Christmas as big snowflakes started coming down. What none of us knew then, was that we wouldn't see green grass again until Easter!!!

The winter of 1963 - AMAZING!

A bit of a "contrast" with the snow - SOUTH PACIFIC, after its long run of 'separate performances' at The Queens Cinema, was finally released to normal cinemas, such as the Newcastle Odeon . .

#84 ·
I remember the 1963 winter. Having to walk through very deep snow ( i was only 9!) to Stanhope Street to collect the milk. The milkman couldn't get off the main road, so word went around and those who were mobile went out to collect theirs and neighbours deliveries. We put all of ours on a sledge and dragged it back home.

Cookson Street was at the end of our street so we had a ready made sledging slope. Spent many an hour or two going up and down the street. Oh happy days :):)

Cheers
GBDT

#87 ·
The Journal, Friday May 4th 1951.

China, and it's development, is in the news a lot these days. The news stories about it were a little different in 1951.

Interesting that the Journal (known to many as 'the Newcastle Journal') was actually using that full name at the top of it's front page, in 1951 . . .

#89 ·
The Evening Chronicle, Saturday May 21st 1927.

A lot of reading on this front page, back in 1927.

In those days it seems there were less of the "huge banner headlines" and more of the actual news itself, on the front page of the Chronicle . . .

If anyone wants any specific article from the above front page enlarged, that can be done!

#90 ·
The Evening Chronicle, Saturday May 21st 1927.

A lot of reading on this front page, back in 1927.

In those days it seems there were less of the "huge banner headlines" and more of the actual news itself, on the front page of the Chronicle . .

If anyone wants any specific article from the above front page enlarged, that can be done!

50 hours flight time to India then and now is only 8 hours 40 mins :)

Would it be possible to have a closer look at the pieces on the Trawler and Coaster collision and the Drunk In Charge of a Car?

#92 · (Edited)
The Evening Chronicle - Monday November 5th 1956.

I know it is for different reasons, but this newspaper headline is from 1956 and (in some ways) things do not seem to fundamentally change, as here we are still getting militarily involved in the Middle East (with the French again) as yesterdays action over Libya shows . . .

#93 ·
The Evening Chronicle - Wednesday July 14th 1993.

A quite unusual newspaper front page this one, as it is actually a 'front and back' page, opened out.

Someone reported on this forum recently, that they thought the Tyne Bridge was no longer being illuminated. That would be a real pity, but only as recently as 1993, a big thing was being made out of Kevin Keegan turning on the new-style 'computer-controlled' illuminations, just in time for the second visit to Newcastle of the 'Tall Ships Race' . . .

#98 ·
Last year on this thread (on 20th July) I posted the below front page of the Journal . . .

Newcastle Historian; July 20th 2010 said:
The Journal - Monday July 21st 1969.

41 years ago tomorrow! I thought back then (we all did) that we would definitely have a fair few colonies on the Moon by now. What they would be doing I don't know - but they would be there . . .

Of course, it is now 42 years since that amazing day!

However, only the other day, while I was sorting through some old newspapers to 'file them away' I came across another copy of the Journal from 21st July 1969 (same 'paper number' - 38,298, etc) but when I actually associated the two copies together, I saw that their front pages were actually totally different!

Checking back, the one I used and posted on here last year was a "6 A.M. Special Edition", while the one I have just re-discovered is, I assume (I can't exactly remember from 42 years ago!!) the normal routine morning edition.

Anyway, here is the different front page from The Journal of Monday July 21st 1969 . . .

Remember, as always on this thread, if anyone would like an enlargement of a particular article from a front page, please just ask . . .

#99 · (Edited)
Last year on this thread (on 20th July) I posted the below front page of the Journal . . .
Of course, it is now 42 years since that amazing day!

However, only the other day, while I was sorting through some old newspapers to 'file them away' I came across another copy of the Journal from 21st July 1969 (same 'paper number' - 38,298, etc) but when I actually associated the two copies together, I saw that their front pages were actually totally different!

Checking back, the one I used and posted on here last year was a "6 A.M. Special Edition", while the one I have just re-discovered is, I assume (I can't exactly remember from 42 years ago!!) the normal routine morning edition.

Anyway, here is the different front page from The Journal of Monday July 21st 1969 . . .

By contrast the Evening Chronicle for the very same day doesn't even devote any front page to photographs from the historical event. Presumably there were pictures inside but this is only part of a commemorative pack of 'important' front pages.

Difficult to scan the print and scale it to fit on the forum so I placed the on my site if folk want to take a look @
http://www.fototime.com/D5941CDF81ED18A/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/BB4C4E81B48C5E2/orig.jpg

#100 · (Edited)
Higham Place builders unearth 1881 copy of The Journal
by Ruth Lawson, The Journal, December 28th 2011

EAGLE-EYED builders, Steve Archbold and Tony Courtney, who are renovating a historic property in Higham Place, Newcastle, have unearthed a 130-year-old edition of The Journal.

The builders, who are currently working on a large 19th Century building in Newcastle city centre, discovered a copy of the then titled Newcastle Daily Journal stuffed under the floorboards.

They have now donated the piece of newspaper history, dated Wednesday, October 5, 1881, and cost just one penny, to The Journal to be stored in our archives.

Father-of-three Tony, of Benton, North Tyneside, said: “We are renovating a student let and were taking up the floor right down to the bare bones and when I was sweeping I found little bits and pieces of newspaper then I just saw it between the floorboards.

“Whenever builders find an old newspapers we always read through them to see what was happening at the time but it’s usually from the 60s or 70s.”

Familiar places such as the Theatre Royal and Fenwick’s are featured hin the paper as well as adverts for holidays on the North Eastern Railways.

Steve, of Pelaw, Gateshead, says it’s not unusual to discover old newspapers stuffed within the inner workings of buildings but he has never come across anything this old before.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-of-the-journal-61634-30020201/#ixzz1hpb8vCDx

#101 ·
Higham Place builders unearth 1881 copy of The Journal
by Ruth Lawson, The Journal, December 28th 2011

EAGLE-EYED builders, Steve Archbold and Tony Courtney, who are renovating a historic property in Higham Place, Newcastle, have unearthed a 130-year-old edition of The Journal.

The builders, who are currently working on a large 19th Century building in Newcastle city centre, discovered a copy of the then titled Newcastle Daily Journal stuffed under the floorboards.

They have now donated the piece of newspaper history, dated Wednesday, October 5, 1881, and cost just one penny, to The Journal to be stored in our archives.

Father-of-three Tony, of Benton, North Tyneside, said: “We are renovating a student let and were taking up the floor right down to the bare bones and when I was sweeping I found little bits and pieces of newspaper then I just saw it between the floorboards.

“Whenever builders find an old newspapers we always read through them to see what was happening at the time but it’s usually from the 60s or 70s.”

Familiar places such as the Theatre Royal and Fenwick’s are featured hin the paper as well as adverts for holidays on the North Eastern Railways.

Steve, of Pelaw, Gateshead, says it’s not unusual to discover old newspapers stuffed within the inner workings of buildings but he has never come across anything this old before.
I'm assuming that this is the work being carried out at the former Grainger Rooms 7 Higham Place - didn't quite have it in my mind that the alterations were going to be for 'student lets' - thought it would be on the luxury apartment end of the scale?

#104 ·
Newcastle Evening Chronicle - June 11th 1960.

On this day in 1933 the modern legend of the Loch Ness Monster was born when a sighting made local news. Several London newspapers sent correspondents to Scotland, and a circus offered a £20,000 reward for capture of the beast.

Here is the front page of the Evening Chronicle from Saturday June 11th 1960, in which a Gateshead fireman claimed he had photographed the Loch Ness Monster.

Source - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...31.36446.124685800957368&type=1&stream_ref=10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.