SkyscraperCity Forum banner

B1 | Mau Summit-Kericho-Kisumu | 229km

72K views 159 replies 49 participants last post by  Mesa Jay 
#1 · (Edited)
PROJECT: Mau Summit-Kericho-Kisumu Highway Upgrade

Cost:14 Billion Kshs (17,290,000 USD)

Funding: World Bank

Constructor: Solel Boneh International Holdings (Israeli Company)

Date of Completion: 2012

Scope of the Work:

- Rehabilitation and Reconstruction of 57km of road to 7.0 m wide carriageway and 2x2 m wide shoulders.
-Rehabilitation and Reconstruction of 76 km of road to 7.0 m wide carriageway and 2x2 m wide shoulders.
-Construction of 6.5 km of By-Pass road, Reconstruction and Rehabilitation of approx. 18 km length of Town and Rural Roads and Construction of 9 No. Bridges..

Status Of Project: Ongoing Construction. (about 0.3%)

#39 ·
HomeBusinessBusiness News
BUSINESS NEWS

Transport sector in western to get facelift
SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTEMAILRATING
By DANIEL OTIENO and ABIUD OCHIENG’ dotieno@ke.nationmedia.com aochieng@ke.nationmedia.com
Posted Thursday, February 2 2012 at 21:01
President Mwai Kibaki and Prime minister Raila Odinga landed in Kisumu on Thursday, with a bag of goodies targeting the transport sector in the region.

The opening of the Sh3 billion worth Kisumu International airport and the announcement that the road network in Western Kenya is set for repairs at a cost of over Sh15 billion, were some of the projects unveiled by the President.

Mr Amos Kimunya, Transport minister, announced the start of the second phase of the Kisumu International Airport construction, while his Roads counterpart, Franklin Bett, unveiled plans to expand the road network in the region.

A seven kilometre dual carriageway, construction of the Kisumu-Kakamega, Kakamega-Webuye and Webuye-Kitale, and construction of the Nyamasaria by-pass were some of the projects revealed by the President.

Flanked by the PM and several ministers and MPs, the President officially flagged off the Sh5.8 billion dual carriageway from Nyamasaria to Kisia, which is hoped to ease traffic congestion in the region.

“The second phase of the upgrade will include the cargo terminal, an extended runway and lighting facilities. We will be putting in place other structures as their demand grows,” Mr Kimunya said.

He added that the government will expand and upgrade airports and airstrips to adequately serve the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport hub.

Mr Bett said completion of the roads project and the eventual re-carpeting of the Kisumu-Busia Highway will provide a vital link to the great lakes region from the port of Mombasa.

Construction of two bridges at Nyamasaria and Kisian, foot and cycle paths and street lighting are some of the projects that will come with the new road.

The director general, Meshack Kidenda, said Sh10.2 billion had been set aside for the Kisumu-Kakamega, Kakamega–Webuye and Webuye-Kitale roads, adding that three contractors would undertake the repairs, each taking 50 kilometres to speed up the works.

#40 ·
These are all good news. Good to learn that the major roads in Western and Nyanza will be redone. It's been about ten years since the Kisumu-Busia was recarpeted. Should a road last just ten years? I like that the Kisumu-Kakamega-Webuye-Kitale road will be given to at least three contractors to hasten completion. It's something that should have been done to the Mau Summit-Kericho-Kisumu route. I can say that the current contractor has done absolutely nothing in the past year on the Kericho-Kisumu road, except for a stretch of tarmack that is less than five kilometers.

#41 ·
After the standoff in Dec 2011 between the govt, kenha and the contractor about stalling of roadworks in this contract has the contractor made ammends to this road whose construction was supposed to end this year?
Btw this same S.B.I contractor is he not the same who had stalled J.K.I.A-Machakos turn-off section?

#42 ·
Western road to be expanded to dual carriage

Written by Peninah Njakwe

Expansion works on the Kisumu–Kakamega–Kitale road are expected to begin October this year. The road which dissects Kakamega and Bungoma counties crossing the great Northern road in Webuye will be expanded to a dual carriage.

The expansion of the road is considered critical for the economic growth of Kakamega County as well as to help ease traffic flow on the busy road. The contract is said to have already been awarded to three contractors.

Each contractor will work on a given section of the road. One will build the road between Kisumu and Kakamega, the other one will build between Kakamega and Webuye while the third one will deal with the final section between Webuye and Kitale.

The project being financed by World Bank and the government will cost Sh10 billion.
There has been ongoing road expansion works in urban cities like the 5.5 km long dual carriageway from Jogoo Road stretching to Juja Road and other repair works on the roads. The aim is to ease access and exit from the major cities.

SOURCE : http://www.kenyaengineer.co.ke/index.php/n-e/nu/ln/499-western-road-to-be-expanded-to-dual-carriage

:banana::banana::banana::cheers::cheers::cheers:

#51 ·
^^
Couldn't agree more ...... Had the Chinese been given this contract ...... We wouldnt even be talking about delays. everyday I thank God for making China a superpower. The west has really nyanyasad us for a long time. To hell with human rights ... get the roads fixed.
Well said both of you. The World Bank is to a greater degree an extension of the western governments when it comes to loans & grants to African nations. Their funding dollars are backloaded with prerequisites that make it almost impossible to get a project completed. For instance, if some shadily funded NGO raises questions or claims against the government, the funds immediately stop and hence the work grinds to a halt. What follows is months and even years of back room negotiations & compromises to get it going again. Months later, it's back to square one again.
The west tried to lean on China not to give loans to African nations till the west gives approval. Well, we all know what the Chinese said. These days when I hear that a western government has pledged a loan, I just sneer and forget about it. If Kenyans elect a western puppet, we can all kiss the 2030 Vision goodbye.

#54 ·
They both aren't your friends, but I do agree with you besides the human rights part. "**** human right" would you be okay if that was the mantra during the March elections?:? Business and develpment are important, but so is protection of the basic rights (the rights that allow you to voice your opinion) every person should have. I didn't mean to go off-topic but I felt as if it were necessary.

#50 ·
the world bank keeps talking about what they don't practice in any capacity...world bank is not at bothered by the stretch of things at the moment...i think its strabag that's building if am not wrong...world bank buffoons like most of us to believe our interests are at heart...they aren't and never will be...

#53 ·
kaiser...vision 2030 is a mirage...if you dig alittle on about the 2030vision you will find out it was crafted by the same faces behind world bank,imf.its too get people thinking they can achieve it but the real numbers won't bring close to the numbers of middle income...let's say $11k,they need to support big expenditure on expensive energy that we will need, our industries will increase, yet mitumba is revving in 15th gear...very little industrialisation is being done...epz-agoa is not industrialisation but setting up on cheap labor...if it gets too expensive they move to another country that will do for cheaper.some good will come out with the needed infrastructure upgrading which we need.

#56 ·
èđđeůx;94838547 said:
They both aren't your friends, but I do agree with you besides the human rights part. "**** human right" would you be okay if that was the mantra during the March elections?:? Business and develpment are important, but so is protection of the basic rights (the rights that allow you to voice your opinion) every person should have. I didn't mean to go off-topic but I felt as if it were necessary.
What i meant here was that the *********** don't care about trivial issues such as civil society bs or gay or lesbian movements which the west always try to attach to loans. they try and steer clear of such issues and focus on getting the job done.

#57 ·
èđđeůx;94838547 said:
When given a loan for a particular project it should be let to run its course without undue interference especially for things that do not directly concern it. Unless the funds for the project are being embezzled i see no reason for interrupting the process. We all know Thika road would not be a reality because one of the contractors has been blacklisted by world bank for their differences outside kenya. We all know uhuru highway would have been expanded by now but the funding was stopped because of differences between the contractor and the financer. Beggars are no choosers for the government went back to them to re-finance the project.

#62 ·
i concur with the comments about world bank, atleast afew people see who is behind the mask...human rights, democracy and literacy-its all hypocrasy at best. if they did really care then we would have a saint for a president and after so many years in africa, africa is still laggin behind.i won't even start with the ngo's. has anyone read the book by dambisa moyo...wat scapegoat she is...then all of a sudden she is a best-seller.

#63 ·
went to kisumu (and on to busia) and back last weekend. the last time i used the road was april 2011. i can say there's been progress only because of the 18 month before-after difference. looking at the grand picture, they're moving way too slow.

kericho-mau summit is still total BS.

#65 ·
Here are some recent (October 1) pictures of the Kericho - Kisumu road. So far the tarmac has reached very close to Awasi. There is little to celebrate here since the actual tarmacking of this road began near Chelegess and not Kericho. In my estimation, the total finished area is no more than 20 kilometers. Excuse the quality of the pictures: they were taken using a cell phone camera.

#66 ·
Nothing to celebrate indeed. This particular company (SBI) is infamous for delaying on delivery, I cant think of any other reason as to why they keep bagging contracts other than greasing the palms of our dirty politicos. If in doubt, remember Msa Road, and the years they took completing the 132kms stretch to Sultan (in fact, not even complete as of now!). Even worse, they have been ordered to re-carpet some sections between Athi River and Machakos Junction!!

As it is, I dont think they will finish this road in the next 3 years (going by our sad experience). If we ever have a responsible government, one of the first things they should do is cancel this contract and blacklist this company for good. The damage they have done to our economy is stupendous.

#70 ·
I am not sure about the Mau Summit-Kericho stretch, but that's all there is for the Kericho-Kisumu leg. As bad as the Londiani-Fort Ternan-Muhoroni road looks, more people (including Molo Line) now prefer to take it rather than deal with the Mau Summit stretch. The other alternative is the Narok-Bomet road. I have taken both and I would rather use the Narok-Bomet road even though it's much longer. But in a few months I think it will be easier to put up with a shorter bad stretch of the Londiani-Fort Ternan-Muhoroni road.

#76 ·
Updates on the Kericho-Kisumu highway

Folks, just back from a lightning visit to Kisumu.

There is noticeable progress in the construction of the road. From Kericho heading to Kisumu (a distance of roughly 90kms), the contractor, the much maligned SBI International, has done roughly 60kms, of which about 35kms has been overlaid with asphalt and is in use. The road is really wide and very very smooth.

The other 30kms or so is under construction, where the contractor is now installing culverts and other infrastructure items. He seems to be progressing well, if the dozens upon dozens of trucks and machinery as well as the men I saw on site are anything to go by.

See below for a snapshot of this road.

#77 ·
The other item of news is a bit discouraging. The much vaunted Mai Maahiu-Narok highway is slowly disintegrating. I could not believe my eyes when I counted several potholes on this newly commissioned road, especially after Suswa. It is disintegrating before our very eyes (I re,member reading an article in the Daily Nation about this road, with some contributor saying the road is doing badly).

I stopped to have a look at one of the potholes, and from studying the rim using my very very limited engineering knowledge I could easily tell that the asphalt overlay was very little inch-wise. I could not help comparing the puny tarmac whoever did this important road put, vis-a-vis the SBI road under construction in Kericho. The road also compares badly with the Narok-Bomet highway, done I believe over 10 years ago. Now, that is a highway, not a single pothole between those two towns!

Whoever approved the completion of this road has to be sanctioned, and sanctioned heavily.

However, other roads are ok. I especially couldnt help admiring the newly done Litein-Bomet road, with its winding escarpments. Beautiful. See the pic in the next post.