SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USA - FIFA World Cup 2022 bid

459K views 3K replies 297 participants last post by  carlspannoosh 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought i would make this being that the 2018 WC thread seems to be expanding...

If the US gets 2022, who should the host cities be??

#2,920 ·
It's actually probably better for the US bid that Clinton be there instead of Obama. Besides being beloved, Clinto has been a part of the bid for nine months or so now and was in South Africa this summer helping play the political game necessary to get votes. He has relationships with some executive committee members so besides having the cache as a former president that most loved and still do love, Clinton has real relationships with all these FIFA members. He's not going to be some head of state who shows up on the voting day to smile and say we really want the World Cup, he has been involved from the beginning.

#2,921 ·
If the US would be chosen for the 2022 FIFA WC, Only LA and Washington DC would build modern stadiums for this WC. They would be financed by private donations.

2021 Confederation cup: United States
2021 U-17 FIFA World cup: Canada
2021 Gold cup: Mexico
2023 Gold cup: Mexico or Canada

Bill Clinton will highlight hearts and minds of the bid. There would be a video from Obama.

#2,935 ·
Krud-Geelong and Gold Coast won't make the cut

#2,943 ·

#2,948 ·
I generally like your posts Krudmonk but in this case you are just plain wrong. Winning the bid for 2022 is the catalyst to setting up our sporting infrastructure for then next 40 years and it's already evident that almost all of these developements were to / are being built over the next 10 years anyway. I fail to see how boosting a stadiums capacity by a mere 7000 using temporary means for a one off event is a waste. I think you know this too.

The only venues I imagine won't see any development if Australia doesn't win is the Canberra Stadium and Blacktown. I'd imagine Townsville's Stadium would get a far more modest redevopment and the Sydney's ANZ and SFS would probably remain as they are.

#2,955 ·
Sure sure keep dreaming T74, I don't think even the Qatar bid team have made a more embarrassing statement and they've made some real bad ones.

#2,961 ·
I think it was X who asked..."aside from Blazer, Warner and Thompson, who else can the US bid count on?"

Our offices just got off the phones. Here's your answer: In addition to the 3 above, Salguero, Hayatou, Leoz, Teixeira, Anouma, Valcke, Beckenbauer, Lefkaratis and Llona will compose the (first-round) U.S. bloc.

#2,965 ·
What's bigfooty?

#2,966 ·
#2,974 ·
AndreasBerlin said:
So I guess the lack of response means no one is going to contribute. It's lucky you have the Government to support you.... oh wait :lol:
From the article that you posted:
Some rival bids may raise eyebrows at the timing of such a request so close to the Dec. 2 vote.

The USA has one of the most lean bid operations and it has been suggested that Clinton’s email reflects an empty bank account close to bid D-day.

INSIDER understands that such a notion is wide of the mark. One source with knowledge of the US Soccer federation said that Clinton’s request merely reflects a political culture where campaign donations are a way of life. Given this view, tapping into this support as the USA bid approaches the final straight of campaigning can only be seen as a wise move and may even have been factored into its bid budgeting.
Nice reading, Derp Führer.

#2,975 ·
Shut up man you're american all you do is look at racial aspect of everything. That's why it effects you so much. Just move on. It's been 400 years since slavery and the South still looks like half just came fresh off the boat from Zimbabwe and the other half from Russia. The South should be looking like Brazil or the Dominican Republic by now. All mixed up.
:lol:

#2,978 ·
Isn't it funny how real men play the "other" football codes rather than Association Football.:lol::lol:
:lol: next account troll

#2,981 ·
Well played 333:)

#2,985 ·
^^
It's just a three-horse race? Pretty sure Japan and South Korea will still get a vote or two...And that's fine analysis but I'm not so willing to assume a vote is guaranteed for anyone at this point. There is too much that can happen between now and then, with the FIFA meeting, the technical reports, the final presentations, and the possibility of somebody changing their mind at the last moment.

I'll say this though...in light of all the controversy and everything that's happened, I will be mildly surprised if the USA's final presentation and overall bid doesn't give them the tournament.

#2,986 ·
I'm assuming Japan and Korea get bundled out pretty easily, they barely rate a mention any more (despite Japan talking up technology and Korea saying it may unify the country).

Agree that no vote is a lock either, and this is on my guesses!! Firstly we have the dodginess and self interest of exco delegates. They don't even always vote in the interests of their own country or confed, its all about them personally. Secondly, we still have the investigation to come out, the tech reports, and one final swing by Panorama. I'm assuming the investigation will change nothing except saying bye to the Nigerian and Tahitian delegates, the USA will ace the tech review for the 2022 grouping, and Panorama will bring up nothing new (as is currently being reported in the UK press). These are all assumptions though, and who knows what new dirt may get flung in the remaining 3 weeks.

#2,988 ·
I really thought people would have known by now ffs

#2,989 ·
If the USA only gets two votes I'll eat my hat

Most reports don't have any overt collusion between the US and EN bids, but the timing of their withdrawals is hardly co-incidental.

Likewise there have been reports that the Russian and Australian bids are friendly to each other as well.

#2,990 ·
Ok, all of you people are analysing how the votes will go with rose-tinted glasses for your own country's bid.

So, as an independant person, here is my analysis.

Qatar currently has a voting block with Spain, and these votes are:

Julio H. GRONDONA Argentina
Ángel María VILLAR LLONA Spain
Ricardo Terra TEIXEIRA Brazil
Rafael SALGUERO Guatemala
Mohamed BIN HAMMAM Qatar
Worawi MAKUDI Thailand
Hany ABO RIDA Egypt

This is a very well known voting block, and none of them are going to jump ship

Australia
Senes ERZIK Turkey- Australia have a deal with turkey
Marios LEFKARITIS Cyprus- Lefkaritis made his mind up months ago
CHUNG Mong Joon Korea Republic- will come after Sth Korea gets knocked out 2nd
Junji OGURA Japan- will come after Japan gets knocked out first
Franz BECKENBAUER Germany- Already declared
Vitaly MUTKO Russia- Russian and Australian bids have been close mainly because they are making the same argument; to take the world cup to new frontiers.

USA

Jack A. WARNER Trinidad and Tobago
Chuck BLAZER USA
Geoff THOMPSON England - commonly believed but never actually declared because they want to avoid any suggestion of collusion

Unknown

Issa HAYATOU Cameroon
Jacques ANOUMA Côte d'Ivoire
These 2 were going to Qatar, but it is now hard to tell if they still will because they don't want to be caught up in any corruption row. They could go anywhere!! Both have been heavily lobbied by both the US and Aust. If I had to make a bet, I would still give them to Qatar

Nicolás LEOZ Paraguay- Rumoured to be supporting Sth Korea 1st, and Australia 2nd, but also heavily lobbied by Qatar and the US.

Michel PLATINI France- absolutely no hints given out! He is trying to keep his nose clear while also keeping lots of friends in FIFA. Most likely go with the inspection reports
Michel D'HOOGHE Belgium - hinted he will go with the inspection reports

And of course Sepp Blatter. It is rumoured he has a deal with Qatar to prevent Bin Hamman challenging him for president. But he also has many family connections to Australia. At the end of the day, he will do whatever is best for him, while also making everyone else think he is voting for them!

And for the 100th time, Valcke does not have a vote!

Qatar has really impacted on the US bid. 6 months ago most of South America was expected to go to the US. In order for the US bid to get back in the game, it has to get Qatar out of the picture. This is something the US already knows and why the story about the note being passed was leaked by chuck blazer.

It is going to be very interesting and very close. And also very dependant on what happens at the Ethics committee this week!

#2,991 · (Edited)
Finally some sense ffs-not quite right but a hell of a lot closer than some of the dribble that's been put forward
You expect the opinion here to be far more educated that it has been because of the active posting but its just incredible that folks don't even know who votes let alone the 100's of complicated relationships between members, nations, confederations

#2,992 · (Edited)
Ok, all of you people are analysing how the votes will go with rose-tinted glasses for your own country's bid. Here is my take:

Australia

Julio H. GRONDONA Argentina
Ángel María VILLAR LLONA Spain
Mohamed BIN HAMMAM Qatar
Worawi MAKUDI Thailand
Hany ABO RIDA Egypt

This is a very untrustworthy voting block. With Qatar being 'outed' next week, most of them are going to jump ship

USA

Jack A. WARNER Trinidad and Tobago
Chuck BLAZER USA
Geoff THOMPSON England - commonly believed but never actually declared because they want to avoid any suggestion of collusion
Ricardo Terra TEIXEIRA Brazil
Rafael SALGUERO Guatemala
Nicolás LEOZ Paraguay
Senes ERZIK Turkey- USA have a deal with turkey
Marios LEFKARITIS Cyprus- Lefkaritis made his mind up months ago
CHUNG Mong Joon Korea Republic- will come after Sth Korea gets knocked out 2nd
Junji OGURA Japan- will come after Japan gets knocked out first
Franz BECKENBAUER Germany- Already declared
Issa HAYATOU Cameroon
Jacques ANOUMA Côte d'Ivoire

- Rumoured to be supporting Sth Korea 1st, and Australia 2nd, but also heavily lobbied by Qatar and the US.

Michel PLATINI France- absolutely no hints given out! He is trying to keep his nose clear while also keeping lots of friends in FIFA. Most likely go with the inspection reports; most definitely USA!!

Michel D'HOOGHE Belgium - hinted he will go with the inspection reports - USA!

And of course Sepp Blatter. It is rumoured he has a deal with Qatar to prevent Bin Hamman challenging him for president. But he also has many family connections to Australia. At the end of the day, he will do whatever is best for him, while also making everyone else think he is voting for them!

And for the 100th time, Valcke does not have a vote!

Qatar has really impacted on the US bid. 6 months ago most of South America was expected to go to the US. In order for the US bid to get back in the game, it has to get Qatar out of the picture. This is something the US already knows and why the story about the note being passed was leaked by chuck blazer.

It is going to be very interesting and very close. And also very dependant on what happens at the Ethics committee this week!

X, I see I am now embedded in your psyche and memory!! Good on ya!! :cheers:

#2,994 ·

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.