SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Snowhill 3 | Snow Hill Queensway | Offices | 20fl | 90m | Comp.

596K views 3K replies 235 participants last post by  leew1974 
#1 ·
New Ballymore Phase 3 Unveiled

Ballymore has unveiled new images of the third phase of its £450m Snowhill development in Birmingham.

The Irish developer began revising proposals for the mothballed phase last year. It had planned to develop a residential and leisure scheme on the site but will now proceed with designs to create an office building of between 150,000 sq ft and 200,000 sq ft.

The £100m Siddell Gibson-designed scheme will feature floorplates of around 20,000 sq ft.

Talks are under way with potential funders for the scheme. Outline plans for the phase will be submitted in Q2, with completion scheduled for 2015.

http://www.egi.co.uk/Articles/Articl...vigationID=464

See less See more
#258 ·
I wasn't saying it would mean V Tower will happen now, but it certainly helps projects like V Tower and Regal etc. that one of its competition for city centre apartment towers has changed use to office

certainly it wont go ahead in the near future but I think it stands a chance in the long term, the developer is committed to eventually getting it built and needs to for its scheme to make them a profit.

Arena Central as a whole has already had extra office space added to it, its unlikely they will be able to get even more office space proposed for the land, especially with the competing schemes. I think the site is more suited for apartments than snowhill aswel as its more on the leisure side of the city rather than the business side.

No doubt it probably will be scaled back, but thats because there just isn't the demand there, thats what got us in the financial problems were in in the first place. Id much rather have a decent building that is used than one that is dead because they cant shift the apartments or just an empty plot for years and years for nothing to come

The Tall buildings will eventually come, when there is enough demand

#261 ·
Recommended for approval

Proposals for a third office building which will complete the Snowhill development in the Colmore Business District of Birmingham city centre have been recommended for approval by council planners.

The 550,000 sq ft project at Three Snowhill, worth more than £100m, would be the "final piece of the jigsaw" following the success of buildings one and two, the development manager of Ballymore has told Insider.

Birmingham City Council's planning committee will examine the outline application at a meeting next week (7 February 2013).

The plans are for an office building of between 14 and 15 storeys which would target professional and financial services firms, with between 300,000 sq ft and 400,000 sq ft of office space. The building would be constructed on the existing concrete podium already on the site.

A conference centre and a gym, as well as restaurant and retail space, would also be included in the scheme.

The proposals have been scaled down from the previous ambitious plans to build a 23-storey luxury, five-star hotel and 43-storey apartment complex on the Snowhill Queensway site.

Developer Ballymore was granted planning consent for the initial project in 2007 but the project stalled as a result of the global economic turbulence that followed.

"We are very encouraged by the success of the commercial elements of the scheme in buildings one and two and the success of pre-letting there," Richard Probert, commercial sales and lettings manager for Ballymore in the UK, told Insider.

"Having created a new location for offices we want to leverage off that and deliver what will be the final piece of the jigsaw."

Birmingham City Council planners have recommended that the outline application for Three Snowhill be approved by councillors.

"Development of this key gateway site to the city centre core, which has been vacant for 30 years is welcomed and will help regenerate this part of the city," the planning report added.
A detailed application is expected for the development in the next 12 to 18 months depending on pre-lets and other elements.

Ballymore also developed building one at Snowhill, which is home to main tenant KPMG, with building two all but finished. Law firm Wragge & Co signed a pre-let in 2008 for almost 200,000 sq ft in Two Snowhill.
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider...whill-office-development-recommended-approval

#263 ·
Scaled-back Snow Hill plans dubbed 'silver lining of recession'

Birmingham Post

Scaled down plans for a landmark city centre tower block have been a 'silver lining to the recession' according to a council planning committee member.

Coun Barry Henley was commenting on proposals for a 15 storey glass fronted office block at Snow Hill, on the corner of St Chad's Queensway which won the committee's approval.

Building work on a much more ambitious 43 storey tower started in 2007, but stalled a year later as the finances dried up, leaving the eyesore of a part-built concrete base and cores on one of Birmingham's major commuter routes.

http://goo.gl/36m5m

#279 ·
Really? Might be a bit shy of that in reality in my estimation.... aren't the twin Sentinels opposite HCT just short of 300 feet at 95 metres apiece? It's still pretty tall though, as it's higher than the Kennedy Tower directly opposite - well, let's hope it's designed/built to this height at any rate! :)

The roof seems a bit suspect to me, otherwise I see no real problems with this!

Maybe the current rendering just shows a flat featureless roof, but then I do recall the two aborted Snow Hill Hotel/apartment towers also having similar flat roof with no sort of visible apparatus cluttering things up.

#284 ·
The more I look at this the more it dawns on me just how utterly IMMENSE the whole Snow Hill Office building complex is here....the sheer scale of it is quite incredible, it might not have the height that we all so crave right now but bloody hell, it's quite a monster! :)

Its always been a good scheme and very good development on a site which should see maximised usage of the footprint. I attach no blame to Ballymore here as it was the financial crisis which pulled the plug on the best element. They have made the best of a bad situation and deserve credit for that. What we have ended up with is a lot of prime office development slap bang in the middle of the CBD where we needed it and where it should be.

#283 ·
Who knows? They may wait to get a pre-let and then tailor the building to the needs of the anchor tenant(s), or they may put in a detailed app so they can attract tenants in the first place. Either way construction won't start until they have someone signed up, though I imagine in the meantime they will deconstruct the cores they built for the towers, as there is no chance of them being built now.