SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Pleasae rate the capital city of Tibet, SW China.

Votes: 39 24.7%

Votes: 5 3.2%

Votes: 12 7.6%

Votes: 6 3.8%

Votes: 17 10.8%

Votes: 3 1.9%

Votes: 9 5.7%

Votes: 8 5.1%

Votes: 2 1.3%

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • <3.5

Votes: 22 13.9%

Lhasa - China

26K views 153 replies 98 participants last post by  little universe 
#1 ·
Lhasa is not only the capital city of the Tibet Autonomous Region, China, but also the center of Tibetan politics, economy, culture and religion. It is located on the North Band of the Lhasa River, which is a tributary of the Yarlong Tsangpo, and stands at 3760 meters above sea level. In Tibetan, Lhasa means "The land of the Gods", or "Holy Place". It was founded in 633 A.D. under the leadership of King Songtsan Gampo.

Lhasa enjoys delightful weather, throughout all seasons. It has 3000 hours of sunshine annually - hence its popular name "The Sunshine City". The temperatures vary greatly between night and day, but remain fairly uniform during the year. Winters are neither severely cold, nor Summers unbearably hot. The average annual rainfall is only 230--570 mm, and at least 2/3rds of the year are frost-free. The best time to visit Lhasa is from March to October. Lhasa is becoming a thriving and prosperous town, and many successful new business enterprises have been established. These include a hydro- electric power station, leather fanning plants, thermal power stations, cement works, an agricultural machinery plant, machine repair plant, food industry, a film dubbing studio, building industries, vehicle repair shops, grain and oil processing factories, hotels and guest houses for tourists and so on.

Cultural, educational and modern sanitation services and facilities are also being developed. As well as the Tibet University, Polytechnic schools, Hospitals, and cultural organizations have also opened. Lhasa is expanding and developing rapidly -- not least in terms of tourism. In the following chapters we will look at the most popular tourist attractions.

See less See more
#30 ·
Oaronuviss said:
No you're right... but Lhasa DOESN'T have a skyline.
Mountains don't count.
:lol:

yeah, mountains IMO should not be considered as part of the skyline, although I do think that it can accentuate it.

I guess I have just fallen for the beauty of the Tibetan scenery. Sort of like how Sydney gets very flattered by its harbor.

:drool:

#33 ·
Oaronuviss said:
A Mountain or Mountains in the background does accent a skyline (hence Tokyo & Vancouver)... Lhasa is beautiful and unique but just doesn't have a skyline proper. lol
Lhasa should keep its original beauty. that's what attracts the tourists most. I personally will pay a visit in summer and take some pics myself :)

I believe with the completion of Tibet railway, it'll soon become one of China's top tourist destinations.

#51 ·
Fascinating place -7/10 !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.