SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Euro 2020

29K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  Dvblvnia 
#1 ·
Ireland is to join with Wales and Scotland to potentially bid to host Euro 2020!!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inte...958-ireland-may-become-part-of-three-way-bid/

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/scotl...ng-euro-2020-with-wales-and-ireland-1-2294798

http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...WvnJHIpCJxAZ8jbLg?docId=N0113651337072622841A

Ireland could potentially put forward 4 stadia:

Croke Park

Aviva Stadium (Landsdowne Road for the old skoolers:p)

Thomond Park (Contingent on both goal ends being developed)

Bpairc I Caoimh (If redevelopment goes ahead)

Scotland will obviously be proposing, Hampden Park, Murrayfiend, Celtic Park and Ibrox. With possible redevelopment plans in Aberdeen and Dundee.

Wales...the Milenium Stadium might be the only show in town although the Liberty Stadium can aparently be extended as part of its design.

I think the host have to submit 10 Stadia as after this year the Euros are going to a 24 team format. We should be able to cover that requirement without the need to construct new Stadia.

Croker could even have a case to host the final:)

C

See less See more
#54 ·
Its been interesting following this thread. I won't go into the merits of the Millenium Stadium v Croke Park as I have never been to Croke Park. Regardless of the size issues I think both stadiums would do a Euro championship final justice.

I really don't think UEFA would contemplate a 3 nation bid unless there is no other option. In any event I think the Welsh FA are concentrating on a bid for the U21's. There are enough stadiums already to make that a flier - Mil Stad, Swansea, Cardiff City stadium, Racecourse, Parc y Scarlets, Parc Eirias, Rodney Parade etc. It would involve minimal outlay as well. Thats what I've heard anyway.

#55 ·
I've been to both. The Millennium stadium is better in many ways (location, the roof, all-seater (although I personally like standing) but Croke Park is certainly bigger.

Let's get the tournament before deciding where the final is!

I think a 3 team event is a go-er personally.

#60 ·
From an irish footballing perspective it would be better off that we invest any money into the league of ireland rather than waste it on hosting the euros. Too many clubs have falling by the way side in recent years. Clubs like monaghan, kildare, kilkenny and galway to name but a few. For us to start competing against even the likes of Croatia we need a league that is sustainable and competitive. There needs to be a league that produces and trains players capable of playing at an international level.

The lack of interest shown from the FAI towards the league is the biggest handicap to Irish football and co-hosting the Euros wont change that.

#71 ·
I am so glad Munster Rugby has come on board here because he is the only one that is practical and calls it as it should be. I put a post on previously on the second page about how best to structure Euro 2020 and I just got back a load of idiot comments. As I said previously Irelands best chance of hosting it is to use Croke Park and Aviva Stadium as they are and a re-developed Pairc Ui Chaoimh with Scotland having 4 stadiums and WAles having 3. Any other proposal from Ireland would only create white elephants and be a waste of money.

#77 ·
I was quoted a figure a couple of years ago of 1 million for every 1000 seated capacity. This however relates to the new generation of system-built stadia that alot of league 1-3 teams in the UK have built. I assume Croker would be more expensive....certainly over 20.

#82 ·
A completed Croke Park

Croke Park can be built over the railway line as the Cusack was built over the canal, it is designed so that it can be built over it.

If Croke Park was completed it would have one of the best noise levels and atmospheres in the world, currently too much noise escapes and causes noise pollution outside the stadium.

If completed it would be one of the greatest stadiums in the world and put Ireland on the map for big events, concerts and matches.

Many people are worried about getting rid of Hill 16 but in reality, the hill can be kept, as the terrace can be the lower tier and the upper tier would be seated, like in the Allianz Arena for Bayern Munich.

Send me a message if you have any questions or if there's anything I can do for you. Would love to here what you think

I put together a photoshopped image of what the stadium would look like once completed:

#84 ·
Whoah. That looks great. Doubt its gonna happen but its always nice to dream.

I always thought Croke Park would look great if we just put a roof over the hill level with the rest of the stadium and had a MASSIVE glass wall behind the hill.
It could be done cheap and would make the place look a lot less uneven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.