SkyscraperCity Forum banner

CHANGI AIRPORT / Terminal 1, 2, 3 & 4, Aviation News

807K views 2K replies 240 participants last post by  Mith252 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
these are renderings of the currently under construction terminal. (please also go to pg3 for amazing and large renditions scanned from a book)

Singapore Changi Airport's Terminal 3 will have a flat but intriguing roof consisting of many skylights allowing natural light into the terminal building. The roof will limit the amount of direct sunlight into the building through the use of louvres suspended above and below the skylights, filling Terminal 3 with diffused, ambient light during the day. At night, artificial light bounced off the ceiling creates a soothing and comfortable environment for passengers. This unique feature of Terminal 3 will also be seen by passengers waiting to collect their bags at the baggage claim hall.

Passengers using Terminal 3 can expect to move around with ease and minimum dependence on signages. This is possible as Terminal 3 will adopt a see-through layout concept, making it easier for travellers to orientate themselves. This is part of the four guiding principles adopted by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) when designing Terminal 3, namely, clarity, natural lighting, external views and maintainability.

Terminal 3 and its associated works will cost S$1.5 billion. It will add a capacity of 20 million passengers a year, bringing the total capability of Changi Airport to 64 million passengers till the year 2020. When opened in 2006, Terminal 3 will add another 28 aerobridge gates to Changi Airport, with up to eight that will be designed to handle the new generation of large aircraft, the A380.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
i found more pics...

are the walls in the last pic covered with moss? or some other form of greenery...? or is it juz paint?

the two illuminated structures are the subway stations for changi airport. the one at terminal 2 is already completed.

this is thelongest clear span pedestrian bridge ever

#12 ·
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by BrizzyChris </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Yes, Changi has 2 runways at the moment.

Does anyone know if the inter-terminal train shuttle will be extended to T3?</td></tr>
</table>

They should, although T3 seems to be a bit further off.

#13 ·
yep there will a new shuttle system built (from scratch i think, as will be for the automated baggage transport thingie) with slicker trains... if i remember correctly, there will be 19 cars in the new system, compared to the current number of 3...

#20 ·
MAY DELAY NEW TERMINAL BUILDING

Singapore may delay plans to expand Changi Airport because of the global downturn in the travel industry, a minister said in remarks published 3rd December in the Straits Times.

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong said a decision on whether to go ahead with the construction of a third terminal for Changi costing 1.5 billion Singapore dollars (US$819 million) would be made in the coming months.

"We want to be sure that we don't complete Terminal 3 and have it half empty" Mr Yeo said.

Officials from the transport Ministry were unable to give further details. The new terminal was originally planned to be ready in early 2006.

According to the blueprint, the new terminal would be among the first in the world capable of handling the new Airbus A-380 superjumbo.

As planned, the four storey terminal could handle 20 million passengers a year, and would increase the annual passenger capacity of Singapore's national airport to 64 million.

Changi has been voted in the travel press as one of the worlds' best airports because of its efficient operations and shopping, business and leisure facilities.

#22 ·
mmmm actually there are many different airport rankings and since changi airport seems to get a few accolades / best airport awards a month.... it could be considered to be in the group of 'no.1 airports'. its difficult to decide which is the best really.... and anyway its the first and only airport to be inducted into TTG's (magazine) hall of fame...

and being busy does not mean being good... look at airports like bangkok / heathrow... ugh...

#23 ·
i meant that he couldnt be referring to the fact that changi is #1 in capacity...
changi is an okay airport.. but it is starting to look old compared with HK and KLIA. also the new GZ airport will be great aswell...

personally is i had to choose an airport in teh world to be stuck in for 24 hours it would be changi.... i think it is one of the top 3 in the world, but i think the newer airports are getting the awards now like HK etc: coz they can learn from changhi and improve upon certain things...
but if you take into account location and distance from the CBD .. SIN wins hands down... although SYD is pretty good aswell..

#24 ·
Changi is never number 1 in capacity...its still in the 20-odd position. Unlikely to rise much either.

As for wining awards and the like, while we jus have to count how many awards each airport gets per month to judge i suppose, like wat heirloom said, rather then by the "latest" rankings.

There's no doubt changi is aging struturally, but a regular visit to it will realise its interior is constantly changing. The oldest Terminal 1 got a major upgrade recently, and even relatively new Terminal 2 got refurbished. There is practically 0 chance for Singapore to ever replace Changi, so internal upgrade will have to be the only way to catch up. Land has already been reclaimed next to the airport tt allows it to double in size. We shall see what happens then.

Also, I must point out that newer airports with newer, prettier facilities and the like do not necesarily a best airport make. Just imagine yrself as a regular traveller, and you will soon realise its not physical things tt strike you first, but the personal touch, efficiency, peace of mind, and convenience that makes your day as a tired travellor, and make you appreciative of what the airport has to offer.

#26 ·
Japan's Shimuzu wins bid to build T-3 at Changi

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,4386,175021,00.html?

March 4, 2003

JAPANESE construction firm Shimizu has been awarded a $1 billion contract to build Changi Airport's third passenger terminal.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore confirmed media reports yesterday that the contract, awarded solely to Japan's third-largest general contractor, will be signed in May.

Shimizu was one of 11 parties that put in a bid for the contract when the Government called for a tender in September 2001.

Scheduled for completion in 2006, the third terminal will have a handling capacity of 20 million passengers. That will enable Changi Airport to cope with a total of 64 million passengers a year.

The airport handled less than half that number - 29 million passengers - for the whole of last year.

A key architectural feature of the new terminal, which will span four storeys and have 28 boarding gates, is the liberal use of glass panels that will allow natural light to illuminate the terminal.

Shimizu declined to comment on the details of the deal when contacted in Tokyo yesterday.

The Japanese firm has clinched a total of 360 billion yen (S$5.3 billion) worth of contracts from the Republic since 1980, when it first undertook an office building project here.