SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SYD - #Approved: Atria -26st/86m/res (CBD north)

11K views 90 replies 21 participants last post by  CULWULLA 
#1 ·
last night the 85m/26st 161 Clarence Street Apartment tower was officially approved. The planner indicates the owners want to start connstruction this year! yet another res tower for Sydney!

heres a pic of model. Its quite a good looker this one. lots of setbacks and dif use of materials. heritage facade kept with design also.

See less See more
Reactions: yabbes
#2 ·
Interesting!

Cul, what tis the location? For example, where is it in regards to the old NRMA building on Clarence St???

#3 ·
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by SinCity </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Interesting!

Cul, what tis the location? For example, where is it in regards to the old NRMA building on Clarence St???</td></tr>
</table>
next door! its the one just right of pic. i was there at luch and a sign is already up saying "exciting new apartment tower coming soon".

#4 ·
Cool Bananas :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

What is the heritage building under protection. My guess, its one of those tall federation era office/warehouse buildings that dominate that area of the CBD ..........

Reactions: Zaz965
#5 ·
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by SinCity </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Cool Bananas :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

What is the heritage building under protection. My guess, its one of those tall federation era office/warehouse buildings that dominate that area of the CBD ..........</td></tr>
</table>
yeah its 2 bldgs along kent st elevation -296-302 kent st. about 6 storeys high. the Clarence st entrance has a 5 storey 0;s block which wont be missed!

#6 ·
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Q
</table>
yeah its 2 bldgs along kent st elevation -296-302 kent st. about 6 storeys high. the Clarence st entrance has a 5 storey 0;s block which wont be missed!</td></tr>
</table>

0;s

Is that 1900s? Or this decade?

Or perhaps there is a missing numeral.

Seriously: what kind of building is it that will go?

#7 ·
</table>
yeah its 2 bldgs along kent st elevation -296-302 kent st. about 6 storeys high. the Clarence st entrance has a 5 storey 0;s block which wont be missed!</td></tr>

0;s

Is that 1900s? Or this decade?

Or perhaps there is a missing numeral.

Seriously: what kind of building is it that will go?

#11 ·
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by climbing_crane </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Yippee yet another construction to add to the collection. Not a bad little tacker. What's that red building in the right pf the pic?</td></tr>
</table>
The bottom floors will have retail.
the clarence st bldg that will be demolished is from 1970's.
the red bldg in pic is the newly completed REX HOUSE.

took this pic today. There already advertising the new tower!

#12 ·
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by CULWULLA </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top><table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by climbing_crane </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Yippee yet another construction to add to the collection. Not a bad little tacker. What's that red building in the right pf the pic?</td></tr>
</table>
The bottom floors will have retail.
the clarence st bldg that will be demolished is from 1970's.
the red bldg in pic is the newly completed REX HOUSE.

took this pic today. There already advertising the new tower!

</td></tr>
</table>

Wow! Multiplex Living are building it! Good stuff! :)

They've got so many top notch developments like Proximity at Wolli Creek and Monument (former Oxford Koala Hotel) on Oxford St! Pretty certain it will all go ahead then! :D

#13 ·
man! another one! the action rachets up another notch! I love it! And also pleased to see Multiplex are doing it.

Can't help but notice how squeezed in this project is. Really running low on viable space this end of town. Good to see them use every last square cm. And I won't miss that $2 shop.

hk

PS Culwulla thanks for this info. Unbelievable how many are going at once now. Really exciting time for building fans!!

#14 ·
heres the thread tony! it was back a few pages.lol but this is one of a dozen tall aprtment towers which will start up very soon!

#16 ·
The official DA was lodged today! so the 106 unit tower will commence asap! the DA inlcuded an "amendment 96" which is a slight change to overall design, sometimes requires a model change. the demolishment of existing bldgs should start soon.
The plans show the basement will be 10 levels/23m deep!! so should be impressive as far as holes go!

great news

#18 ·
CULWULLA said:
The official DA was lodged today! so the 106 unit tower will commence asap! the DA inlcuded an "amendment 96" which is a slight change to overall design, sometimes requires a model change. the demolishment of existing bldgs should start soon.
The plans show the basement will be 10 levels/23m deep!! so should be impressive as far as holes go!

great news
No commercial space in this tower???

@#$%

#19 ·
Fabian said:
No commercial space in this tower???

@#$%
we dont need anymore office space atm!!
lets just wait for John Boyd tower!

#21 ·
Fabian said:
We need more office space if we want to become a major global centre for business.
You can't just build office space because you want more office space! Well...I guess you actually can, but if there is no market demand then it is just a waste of time and money, and will just push the vacancy rate higher!

Besides, we've got heaps of office space under construction at the moment! You couldn't get much of an office building on that little site, so apartments are far more practical for development on this specfic lot.

G
#22 ·
We need more office space if we want to become a major global centre for business

Even if a fraction of this apartment tower had office space, I can't see it making a difference in this city being a major global centre for business. There just isn't enough demand for it now is there?

#23 ·
finn, bulwarra! exactly! with the BIG 4 currently UC, this will bring some
KENS-77,000
Latitude-76,000
BT-55,000
masonic-23,000
total-231,000sqm coming online in 2005!
The 161 Clarence st is a small but nifty little apartment block. no need to put office in this baby!lol

#24 ·
Bulwara said:
Even if a fraction of this apartment tower had office space, I can't see it making a difference in this city being a major global centre for business. There just isn't enough demand for it now is there?
There is resonable demand for office at the moment. There is even a shortage in some areas.

#25 ·
The problem for CBD office space in the future is that companies are placing increasingly less importance in being located in the CBD and paying the high rents that come with this. Instead, they are opting for cheap-ass business estates in Western Sydney. Everytime I drive past one of these business parks I see a 50 storey office tower that WASN'T BUILT, and it's happening more and more. Take the 100,000sq.m. Woolies HQ, that would've made a fine CBD tower.

The answer may be to do away with planning restrictions (chiefly height limits and FSR restrictions) which have the effect of jacking up CBD rents.

#26 ·
You need to think about how a business decides where to locate its office. As we know office space is rented/purchased per square metre. At the prestige end of the Sydney CBD, ie anywhere with a water view, rents are obviously going to much higher as measured per square metre. Now lets say that on average (hypothetically), a worker takes 2-3 square metres to be housed in a typical office.

It is only worthwhile for a business to locate in a particular office if the employees can produce a greater revenue or add more value to the business than it costs to house them.

So if you are thinking about a company like woolworths, it is much more likely they will choose office space in the western suburbs because the revenue generated per worker is much lower. Compare that to say a big city law firm whose partners charge out $450 an hour. Obviously the revenue those employees generate can justify an expensive city office.

Have a look around Circular Quay - what do you see? Law firms, banks, financial institutions....all high revenue earners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.