SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Your Preference

SAN FRANCISCO | Transbay Terminal | Com

228K views 862 replies 193 participants last post by  lovecities888 
#1 ·
So has anyone heard of the plans to build a new building in SF? I heard it was going to be the tallest one yet, about the size of the empire state building. If you heard let me know, im very interested.

#6 ·
*NOR CAL* said:
Yea I heard it through friends, but what about the buildings in Japan?? I mean they got even bigger earthquake problems then we do.
Those are the guys that build massive contra-weights in to their buildings ;)

Unfortunately for you, the Americans don't feel comfortable with a 100-ton contra-weight swinging above their heads at 700-800 feet above ground ;)

#490 ·
Those (the Japanese) are the guys that build massive contra-weights in to their buildings ;)

Unfortunately for you, the Americans don't feel comfortable with a 100-ton contra-weight swinging above their heads at 700-800 feet above ground ;)
As is so common when non-Americans comment on things American, this is utterly false. Several San Francisco buildings have some form of "sway suppression" including One Rincon Hill which has a giant water tank on the top for that purpose:

At the top of the building is a large tuned sloshing damper [30] which holds up to 50,000 gallons (189,250 litres) of water and weighs 416,500 pounds (185,440 kg). A similar 50,000 gallon (189,250 liter) tank is located in the basement for firefighting purposes.[22] There are two liquid damper screens in each tank to control the flow of the water to counter the sway from the powerful Pacific winds, which can reach hurricane-force.[28]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Rincon_Hill

#10 · (Edited)
*NOR CAL* said:
wait what is the Transbay Terminal?
:lol: Can't believe you don't know what the Transbay Terminal is! It's that big ugly white building in San Francisco where buses go to. There's pictures of the proposed Tranbay Teminal Project and the Rincon Hill Project in the West Coast: Construction, Approved, Proposed thread. Check it out. :)

Here's a picture of the proposed Transbay Terminal. It has buses on top, and high speed train and Caltrain undergourd.

#15 ·
San Fran could easily get a supertall. It may be in earthquake country but there's no reason that that would stop construction except for cost. As it is, I understand it's already obscenely expensive to build in SF but if the demand is there its a sure thing eventually. Nobody who leases space in these buildings really cares about how it stands up to earthquakes, simply that it does. The cost is the problem but that's what demand is all about. If the demand is there, it will be built. Japan is, in fact, a perfect example.

#20 · (Edited)
edsg25 said:
am I correct that one of the trains in the drawing of the Transbay Terminal is a subway that will be Muni light rail, not BART, running in a tube from Chinatown to the terminal and than on ground through Portrero and heading down to the Stick?
I think you're talking about the Central Subway which wont be going to the Transbay Terminal.

The trains you're seeing underground is the high speed trains and Caltrains.

#22 ·
snufalufugus said:
Anyone know what's the status of the Transbay Terminal project? The last thing I heard about this project was that the city was possibly looking into using eminent domain on the Natoma tower so that the terminal could be built. Anyone know?
I think it's on hold right now. That's because Gov. Arnold pushed the date back when we were to vote if we wanted to build a high speed train going from SF to LA in 2 1/2 hours. We will now vote on it on 2006, if it passes, it will cover most of the cost of the Transbay Terminal and I think construction wont start until that thing passes. So basicly, Gov. Arnold delayed the construction of the Transbay Terminal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.