SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Marlins Stadium thread

440K views 3K replies 143 participants last post by  theEmbarcadero 
#1 ·
Since the last couple got closed due to a certain loony member I'll start another one.

#2,981 ·
I'd probably prefer a more neutral color but don't think it's really awful. Overall, I'd say the place looks great on TV. If there's a minor disappointment it's that the skyline really doesn't show up very well---at least at night. Maybe it's the camera angles but you don't see much aside from Marquis.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person on the 17th (versus the Cubs). :cheers:

#2,982 ·
My friend told me that the green is there so they can green screen ads for certain games? I dont kno if thats the case or not, but when I went there for the FIU game I thought it was pretty awful. Between the bright indoor lighting and the bright green walls it made watching the game hurt my eyes a little. I hope thats something they plan on fixing. Other than that the stadium was nice.

#2,985 ·
http://www.theonion.com/articles/miami-marlins-construction-crew-completely-unaware,27800/

Miami Marlins Construction Crew Completely Unaware They've Been Building Baseball Stadium

MIAMI—Speaking with reporters while putting the finishing touches on Miami's new stadium Saturday, construction workers at Marlins Park admitted they had no idea what the structure would be used for, despite having built baseball stadiums in the past. "We installed a big pool back there, so maybe all the seats are for people waiting in line to swim?" said foreman Frank Davies, sealing one of the large, inexplicable dual aquarium tanks behind home plate. "But there's that giant rainbow thing with the pink flamingos we built at the edge of the grass that sometimes lights up and moves like a windmill, so I'd say my best guess is this is a really big miniature golf hole or a theme park for disabled children." Major League Baseball has yet to rule the field fit for play, as the stadium has no traditional dugouts, Marlins management having opting instead for two giant sets of wax lips.

#2,993 ·
Great pics, Endeavor. The game itself didn't follow the script but the ballpark looks terrific and glad you were there.

Showed those pics to folks at work last night on my phone (including to two fellow Miami transplants) and all were impressed.

If anyone is gonna be at that Cubs game on the 17th let me know! :cheers:

#2,997 ·
The Herald's review of the Park (the public transportation nightmare and lack of walkable streets around the park were pretty predictable):

1 hour 15 minutes to take the metromover to the metrorail to the trolley to the stadium from the Herald building (a 2 mile trip)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/05/2732333/opening-night-at-marlins-park.html

How hard was it to get to the stadium?

Despite the angst over parking, we were able to find a spot at a public garage on the Jackson hospital complex without too much hassle. Cost: $10. And even on a sold-out Opening Night, there were plenty of spaces for rent on people’s lawns. Don’t expect a bargain. Our correspondent paid $30 to park at a medical office a few blocks from the ballpark.

Public transportation was more of a challenge. The trip from downtown via Metromover and Metrorail took us one hour and 15 minutes, and much of the delay came waiting for the new Miami stadium trolley.

Located a few steps from the Civic Center Metrorail stop, the trolley stop was a frustrating place to be Wednesday evening. The first trolley we saw at 6:15 p.m. was full. The second took more than 20 minutes to arrive. Many of the fans we were in line with abandoned hope and started walking. And the narrow sidewalk meant a stream of Jackson commuters having to weave in and out of the baseball crowd.

#3,001 ·
I'm a Marlins fan first and foremost. Same with any of my hometown teams. That will never change.

As for the Phillies, I just can't work up a genuine hatred for them. It's a really classy, well-run organization and the ballpark is always sold out and a great atmosphere. I'd never root for them versus the Marlins (and have gone to games here proudly wearing Marlins gear) but I really wish the two teams were in different divisions so there was little conflict!

Don't really care much about the other teams here aside for a bit of a soft spot for the Sixers since they were my team for years before the Heat existed.

But no worries. I'm a loyal Miami boy.:cheers:

#3,005 ·
^^I agree it's all in fun and ultimately not a big deal. I guess for myself (and others) it's imagery that's just a bit too much of the cliched, 'touristy' view of Miami but certainly it's nothing I would go around being steamed about.

Hey, my all-time favorite home run feature was the Brewers having the guy in lederhosen who would go down a slide into a mug of beer so it's not like I'm exactly adverse to tacky cliches!

Agreed in hoping it gets used a lot. The Marlins bats have been anemic thus far---but obviously it's very early.

#3,006 ·
I copied this off Facebook. It is a Herald shot that was used in a San Francisco Chronicle article about the happenings here in Miami.

tr-miami01_ph15_SFC0108584334 by QuantumX, on Flickr

#3,010 ·
Love the pics, love the image of people running in fear from the HR sculpture! Great work, gentlemen.

Now---about the food. I know it's all grotesquely overpriced (like ALL stadiums) but I'll be there on the 17th and am prepared to grossly overpay.

Did you eat there? Likes? Dislikes?

I'm thinking mahi tacos and plantain chips over 'Burger 305' but you tell me. I'd get a Cuban sandwich but know the version there probably isn't even close to better (cheaper) versions innumerable other places.

And how's the beer situation? Anything interesting? I'll gladly pay a buck or two more for real suds rather than dreck like Bud or Miller.

Endeavor--let me know if you're gonna be there on the 17th---or anyone else here. I'll buy a round. :cheers:

#3,011 ·
Here's a link to a Photobucket album of mine with pictures from Opening Night (and other construction pictures) if you'd like to check it out:

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/rmc523/Marlins Ballpark/

Here are a few hightlights:

Also, here's a couple videos I took.....

This first one (16 seconds) is of the crowd at the ballpark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcz...DvjVQa1PpcFP-8iKIfL2CqSrp_6uFh7S-jRLMCc-zoPU=

This second one of the entire roof opening process is somewhat long (11 minutes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugjZ...DvjVQa1PpcFP-8iKIfL2CqRiw42bVsHASIpkhh1hQHfw=

#3,017 ·
With the Marlins taking such a public relations beating lately, I do need to give them props on one little item---albeit not a huge thing.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was curious about the beer situation at the ballpark---specifically whether any of the taps were offering craft beers from any of the MANY amazing, smaller breweries around the country. Did a little research and it turns out the answer, alas, is no. Just the usual suspects like Bud, Presidente, etc. For us (admitted) beer snobs, this is like offering flavored water for 8 bucks a pop.

So anyway, I figured what the hell and sent an e-mail to the team inquiring why they weren't being a bit more ambitious with the beer menu and offering some (well researched) suggestions. After all, you can find the better stuff at a LOT of other ballparks these days, so why not us?

Didn't even expect a response but within a half hour their beverage director wrote back and said he agreed it's something they should do, and even asked for a few breweries. I mentioned Dogfish Head and Bell's as consistently outstanding (and interesting) breweries with national delivery capability, but there are many others as well. Wish there was a local option there but we really don't have a genuinely great one...yet. It'll come eventually, though, I'm sure.

Either way, not a huge deal like I said but I was impressed by the quick response and interest. Gotta look out for my fellow suds connosieurs.

Be there on Tuesday. Maybe I'll try to sneak in a bottle of Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.