SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Marlins Stadium thread

440K views 3K replies 143 participants last post by  theEmbarcadero 
#1 ·
Since the last couple got closed due to a certain loony member I'll start another one.

#3,024 · (Edited)
Speaking of emails from Marlins, earlier in the week I wrote a very short email to David Samson. I basically wanted to express that as a season ticket holder I continue to support the Marlins. It was literally a couple lines only. I got a reply yesterday stating that the comments are appreciated. It was probably just a generic copy and paste reply, but the mofo replied at least. Why am I even talking about this? Yea I think I've had a little too much to drink.

#3,028 ·
I thought the crowd was great although I don't know what the official attendance was. I think one of the things that will make the attendance look decievingly less is that many fans, particularly from the upper deck, are watching the game from the concourse. Especially in left field by the Budweiser bar. Not just there though. I have walked around the stadium a few times and the wall or railing is full with people watching the games from there. Along the right field wall is a bar with high tables and full of people. People are also standing against the railings at the top of the sections near the infield. Besides that alot of people are hanging out eating or drinking at the bars.

#3,029 ·
Wow, it's stunning! They were building it when I left Miami, so I never got to see the end result.

How has it impacted traffic in the area though? I'd imagine that 836 is a bit of a mess. It was always tricky coming home from work on nights when the Heat were playing.

#3,030 ·
Wow, it's stunning! They were building it when I left Miami, so I never got to see the end result.
Yes the ballpark is great.

How has it impacted traffic in the area though? I'd imagine that 836 is a bit of a mess. It was always tricky coming home from work on nights when the Heat were playing.
The traffic... not so great. It is a mess. Especially at the exit ramps (17th and 27th avenue).

#3,032 ·
SFRTA TO OPERATE SPECIAL TRI-RAIL SERVICE FOR MARLINS HOME NIGHT GAMES

The South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) will run special Tri-Rail trains to serve Marlins weekday and weekend home night games, beginning with "Opening Day" on April 4th. A special northbound train will depart Metrorail Transfer Station approximately 1 hour following the conclusion of games, and a special southbound train will depart the Mangonia Park Station at 5:00 pm to facilitate getting to Saturday night games. The special trains are being funded by the Miami Marlins as part of a demonstration project.

"We know that based on numerous calls to our customer service representatives, there is a large contingent of Marlins fans who live in Broward and Palm Beach counties who would like to attend the games but are seeking an alternative to the high cost of driving and the scarcity of parking at the stadium. We hope that by providing this additional service, they will be able to enjoy going to the game and rooting for the home team in person," said SFRTA Executive Director Joseph Giulietti.

Regular Tri-Rail fares will apply, with zoned fares during the week and flat fares of $5 on the weekends. EASY Card-holders pay a transfer fee of $1 to board Metrorail, plus a 50-cent transfer to the Express Shuttle provided by Miami-Dade Transit to and from the Marlins Park via the Metrorail Culmer Station. For the return trip, the bus fare is $2 and a 50-cent transfer to Metrorail. Passengers who do not possess an EASY Card can purchase a 1-Day Pass for the Metrorail and Express Bus connections for $5.

Tri-Rail's customer service call center hours will be extended on the nights of weekend games until after the special train departs Tri-Rail's Metrorail Transfer Station. Ticket agent hours will also be extended at that station on home game nights.

For more information call 1-800-TRI-RAIL (874-7245.)

http://www.tri-rail.com/bulletins.htm#list38

#3,035 ·
Yep, ALOT of people are just watching the game from the concourse area, which is actually really cool, but makes for some empty seats. But it is inexcusable that there was an ENTIRE section by third base that was completely empty on Saturday night. It's obvious they are probably reserved for something, but what the hell, put some people in those seats!

#3,039 ·
^^We were both there, my friend! Thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to the ballpark. It's gorgeous.

I didn't have any traffic issues at all. There was a bit of mess leaving but that was because an accident had closed off the 12th Avenue bridge. Getting there (admittedly early because I wanted to roam the facility) was a snap. Of course, I took all surface streets rather than the "newbie" routes. Knew the drill from many years of going to the OB!

Had a perfectly respectable Cuban sandwich from Latin America grill, although at $16.50 for that and a diet Pepsi not exactly a bargain! But ballparks are like airports. You're hostage and they extort you.

Agreed with your attendance estimate. The "announced" crowd is clearly tickets distributed rather than actual numbers. Have to say if there was one big disappointment it was that. Gorgeous night, the Marlins ace on the mound, and an opponent that draws plenty of their own fans. Much smaller crowd than I had hoped to see, especially with the ballpark still being brand new.

Hopefully those numbers improve, but I couldn't say they will with any genuine certainty or confidence. Either way, regardless of the valid criticisms of the financing, etc. I hope more folks will take in a game. It really is a super facility. :cheers:

#3,043 · (Edited)
Wish I could of gone that night. Hanley hit that home run in the 8th inning to save the day. My mom and stepfather were there lol. I went to today's game. Was a very nice crowd for a day game. Alot of Chicago fans do come out to the games. Even saw some wearing Bulls jerseys since they played the Heat later in the day.

In speaking with one of the sales reps while I was at the Budweiser bar in left field, she told me that the owner of the Cubs was at last nights game. She said he was told by the Marlins everything was comped for him so he figured he'd go to the Clevelander. First they stopped him at the door and made him pay a $10 cover charge. Then when he was finished drinking he and his group got up and left thinking everything was paid for when a bouncer went after him and dragged him back to the bar to pay the tab. She said they forgot to tell him the Clevelander was separate from Marlins control and they had no power to comp that.

Marlins Park (04-19-2012) by thehoorse24, on Flickr

#3,047 ·
Thanks!

My dad really is a unique character. 73-years-old but still thinks and acts like a guy 30 years younger. He's a handball champion as well (playing a tournament in Tennessee right now, in fact).

He refuses to retire, which I respect the hell out of. When he does, I'll have to be back in Miami nearly fulltime but as far as I'm concerned that's HIS timetable, not mine. Eventually, the plan (ideally) for me would to split my time between South Florida and Vermont. Weird, right? But that's what I really want.

Hope you and your dad have a blast at the game. Thank God the Marlins actually won one and hopefully it's the start of something for them. :cheers:

#3,048 ·
Stadium like the team is having some early season issues. The right field grass looked bad the other day. Of course with the angle of the sun (the sun generally being south of straight over head) means the right field corner will be in perpetual shadow with this stadium design even with the roof open:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/02/2777691/miami-marlins-working-to-plug.html

MARLINS PARK
Miami Marlins working to plug leaks in Marlins Park’s roof

With the roof closed more than expected, the Marlins learned that leaks must be fixed and that the outfield grass needs some care.

BY MANNY NAVARRO
MNAVARRO@MIAMIHERALD.COM

Marlins president David Samson said it was going to take the organization all year to work out the kinks at the new ballpark.

A month in, the Marlins are still trying to figure out how to plug leaks in their 8,000-ton retractable roof and how to stop the grass from dying in the outfield.

“We knew going in the other retractable-roof ballparks had to make adjustments the first two years to get their ballpark right,” Samson said. “We hope we get it right the first time. So far, it’s not right. We’re going to keep working and finding a way to make it better.”

With the team hitting the road Tuesday for nine games in San Francisco, San Diego and Houston, the grounds crew at Marlins Park is first going to turn its attention to the grass in the outfield — particularly right field — that is turning brown.

“I would say the sod had as difficult an April as the team did,” Samson said.

Samson said showers in April caused the retractable roof at Marlins Park to be closed more often than they expected. The lack of sun has led to the decay of the grass.

The Marlins already have replaced the turf in right field once — before opening night. Samson said there’s always a chance they might have to replace the sod entirely. He said it has happened at other ballparks with retractable roofs.

During the Marlins’ trip, the grounds crew will use sun lamps “like the ones you see at nurseries,” Samson said, to help the grass grow. Samson said the Marlins are confident natural grass can be successful in the ballpark, even with the roof closed for most games.

The roof was closed this past weekend for the entire four-game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks and came in handy especially on Sunday and Monday when there were heavy rains and flood warnings. But despite having a roof over their heads, some fans still got wet because of leaks in the roof panels.

“[Sunday] there were four of five spots where we had some drips coming down. The roof people were looking at those joints,” Samson said. “Again, it’s very normal [to have leaks].

“But you need it to rain and see where [the leaks are]. There have been different types of rains the last few days. Back in the exhibition games there were leaks in the roof track in [Section] 321. [Monday], it wasn’t there. Sunday in right field, there were drips in Sections 1 and 2 and 201. But I looked during the game [Monday] when it was pouring, and I did not see it dripping.”

Samson said stadium workers plug the leaks by opening up the panels and patching the joints. “I guess they put gum on it,” Samson joked. “Or, something to seal it up.”

After April’s 11 home games, the Marlins are averaging 30,681 fans in paid attendance, ranking 14th in baseball. A year ago they averaged 19,007 fans at Sun Life Stadium, 28th among 30 major-league teams.

Samson said that while the number of walk-up ticket buyers isn’t large on game days, “we’re selling much more on the day of the game than we had last year.”

Will the large crowds continue to show once the novelty of the new stadium wears off? The Marlins headed into Tuesday’s game at the Giants with an 8-14 record, last in the National League East. In April, the team hit just .228 and scored 73 runs — one of their worst months offensively in franchise history. The team was booed loudly in each of its past two home games.

“Silence concerns me more than boos,” Samson said. “Of course [we want people to come back]. But again, there’s no honeymoon. We need to play the better, and they know it. [Manager] Ozzie [Guillen] knows there’s no excuses about April. But now, it’s time for May.”

#3,050 ·
Not a bad game to be your first one there! What a great (late) victory after it looked like they they had blown it.

Thought a LOT about the Dolphins when I went a couple of weeks ago. Impossible not to considering the ballpark sits on sacred ground where so many of us spent years watching superb, dominating football.

I root for ALL of our teams and crave championships from any of them but another Dolphins championship (it WILL happen again someday) will make any other look like a picnic.

(that said, the Marlins are on a really nice run--let's keep it going!) :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.