G
#1 ·
NAME: Zabeel Mall
TYPE: Shopping Mall/Hotel Apartments/Entertainment
SIZE: Total : 1.6 million sq ft, 400,000 sq ft for lease
COST: 720 million AED
CONSTRUCTION START: September 2004
OPENS: July 2006

According to today's al-Khaleej Arabic newspaper, construction will start on Zabeel Mall next month. The building will be 7 storeys high, and other than a shopping mall, it will have 88 hotel apartments, a cinema, theatre, and cafes and restaurants. There's also a pool.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Yes, it looks like it's right next to Zabeel Park from the greenery I see.

The pic on the al-Khaleej site is very small, but in the newspaper it's big enough to see in some detail. It has a pyramid thing on the roof like Wafi and there's a pool under it. It has a lot of glass windows so ought to have a lot of sunlight inside. I don't know how big the mall itself would be. I think it would be similar to Mazaya Centre which is mostly made up of apartments. But this is bigger.

G
#6 ·
The proposed mall will be built for Al Wasel club for financing their activities, it will be a ten year contract with the developer then the ownership will be transfered to Al Wasel Club. :horse:

#7 ·
what does al wasl club have to do with a shopping mall?

can't believe a sports club invests in a shopping mall!!! :)

but if i think about it twice, it seems to be very clever. all dubai shopping malls run well and as the number of inhabitants increases, and so does the demand for goods, it is a reasonable investment! in europe something like this would never be possible!

G
#8 ·
Its not only Al Wasel its also Al Shabab (Century mall) & Al Ahli (Lu Lu Center).

I think all of them had the same terms of transferring the ownership after ten years.

Operating a club is not cheap, it has a lot of expenses starting from paying the players, the cauch & operation and maintenance for football, basketball and vollyball...etc.

Do you know that Lamcy plaza will soon be transfered to the owner of its plot after the contract reach to an end.

Such things does not happen for the above but also in building villas.
:horse:

G
#9 ·
I think I read in the newspaper article that a company called "5 Stars" or something like that will be running the mall for 20 years, and then Al Wasl Club will take over because they own the land on which it is built. Weird.

Dubai_Boy - Hmm.

intimidate:
To make timid; fill with fear.
To coerce or inhibit by or as if by threats.

Synonyms: intimidate, browbeat, bulldoze, cow, bully, bludgeon

These verbs all mean to frighten into submission, compliance, or acquiescence. Intimidate implies the presence or operation of a fear-inspiring force: “It [atomic energy] may intimidate the human race into bringing order into its international affairs” (Albert Einstein). Browbeat suggests the persistent application of highhanded, disdainful, or imperious tactics: browbeating a witness. Bulldoze connotes the leveling of all spirit of opposition: was bulldozed into hiring an unacceptable candidate. Cow implies bringing out an abject state of timorousness and often demoralization: a dog that was cowed by abuse. To bully is to intimidate through blustering, domineering, or threatening behavior: workers who were bullied into accepting a poor contract. Bludgeon suggests the use of grossly aggressive or combative methods: had to be bludgeoned into fulfilling his duties.

So I assume it's the screen name?

#25 ·
Trances said:
great location
but still how will these smaller malls cope with all the super malls around
and more important what will happen to my Lamcy Plaza ?

well... i thought about that too.
and actually i think most of the brands will move to the bigger malls, which means that only city centre, bur juman , and wafi might sustain in "old" dubai...
no hope for lamcy plaza ... imo ... unfortunately. :( :cry:

#26 ·
i think this mall will make it's own way .. and lamcy plaza can't be compared to it because locals doesn't go to lamcy it's very rare the don't like it but this mall will be better for sure