SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Stadiums and Arenas in Bangladesh

154K views 319 replies 46 participants last post by  mr.jason_kz. 
#1 ·
Bangabandhu National Stadium is the national stadium and main sports arena in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It is located at Motijheel at the heart of the capital city, Dhaka. The stadium is variously known as Number 1 National Stadium, Dhaka Stadium etc.

photo credit: Ershad Ahmed

bird'seye view of Bangabandhu Football stadium and Bhasani Hockey stadium

renovated south view

See less See more
#84 ·
Now that we have got 2 more matches for the 2011 cricket world cup, I think we should have couple matches in Chittagong. Opening ceremony at National Stadium in Mothijheel, quarter finals in Mirpur Cricket Stadium and maybe the league matches at Chittagong... this will boost tourism and at the end of the event, we will have three world class venues with all the facilities!

#85 ·
anyone know what upgrades are we looking at for the world cup? and in terms of mirpur stadium i think we need a big upgrade not only in the stadium but also in its surroundings, security, electronic scoreboard, commentary, floodlights and so on. They could also get couple of games in Bongobondhu National Stadium as it is a brilliant stadium but again, needs HUGE upgrade..on that

#87 ·
Three stadiums to get Tk 1.52b facelift before World Cup Cricket in 2011

FHM Humayan Kabir

The government will spend nearly Tk 1.52 billion on the renovation of country's three key stadiums before hosting the World Cup Cricket in 2011, officials said Monday.

The Bangabandhu National Stadium (BNS), Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium in Mirpur and Fatullah Osmani Stadium in Narayanganj would get the facelift ahead of the grand cricket tournament, a youth and sports ministry official told the FE.

"We'll spend over Tk 1.52 billion on renovation of the three major stadiums to make those attractive to the cricket-lovers across the world. The renovated stadiums would also uphold the country's image globally," he said.

The official said they hoped Bangladesh would get huge return from the investments, as the new-look of the stadiums would attract more foreign tourists and cricket fans.

Bangladesh would co-host the World Cup Cricket (WCC) 2011 with India and Sri Lanka.

The inaugural ceremony of the WCC would be held at BNS in Dhaka on February 19 in 2011.

Bangladesh would be home to eight matches out of the 49 games of the world cup including the opening match and two quarterfinals, expected to take place at Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium and Fatullah Osmani Stadium.

The WCC matches will be spread out as India will host 29 games including one quarterfinal, one semifinal and the final, and Sri Lanka will be home to 12 games including one semi-final.

Director of the grounds and facilities department of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Shafiqur Rahman Munna said the galleries, press-boxes, score-boards and display screens, approach roads and other facilities of the stadiums would be made world-class.

UNB Adds: ECNEC has approved three stadium development projects worth Tk 1.52 billion (152 crore) to facilitate smooth holding of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 in Bangladesh.

The development of the stadiums are among five development projects worth Tk 5.84 (584 crore) which was approved by the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council at its meeting at the NEC Tuesday.

Briefing reporters, Planning Minister AK Khandker said Tk 2.93 billion (293 crore) of the total project costs would be met from national exchequer while the rest Tk 291 crore would be spent from foreign aid.

Prime Minister and ECNEC chairperson Sheikh Hasina presided over the meeting, attended by senior cabinet ministers and senior officials concerned.

The projects are maintenance and development of Bangabandhu National Stadium at a cost of Tk 310 million (31 crore) to prepare the venue for the World Cup inaugural session, maintenance and development of Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur at a cost of Tk 640 million (64 crore) to convert it as an ICC standard stadium and maintenance and development of Narayanganj Khan Shaheb Osman Ali Stadium (Fatulla) at a cost of Tk 570 million (57 crore) to prepare it as an alternative venue of the World Cup Cricket.

http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2009/08/26/77202.html

#88 ·
Due to public and polticial pressure, World Cup matches will now take place at Chittagong Divisional stadium instead of Fatullah Osmani Stadium, which will now be a reserve stadium.

Personally I think Chittagong Divisional stadium is not large enough, in its present state, to accommodate the size of crowds expected at World Cup games. Last I remember, one quarter of the ground didn't have a stand and was just an open field (see Google Earth pic above). Even with a stand there, still not big enough. They need to put another tier of stand ontop of the present stands. I would of gone for the MA Aziz stadium in Chittagong which has a bigger capacity and has permanent floodlights so some day/night matches can happen during the tournament in Chittagon.

The major renovation that all our stadiums should get are roofs. This is protect the fans from the sun and eliminate the rubbish temporary bambo stick roofs that we put up which will look so poor for a World Cup. The original plans of Mirpur when converting to a cricket stadium included some sort of roof.

#91 ·
Having cricket matches in Chittagong is a good decision. It will help develop infrastructure (not just stadium but practise grounds, hotels, connecting roads, transporation etc) over there. Moreover it will be a big boost for tourism as Cox's Bazar and Hilltracts are 2 of the most scenic areas in Bangladesh...

I agree that the stadiums need to get renovated, but BCB should have enough money due to TV contracts to do that..

#97 ·
New Sylhet Divisional Stadium

From my understanding it was built around 2005 - 2008 and is complete now. It is situated in the north, was to be constructed on 12.50 acres of land within the Lakkatura area, at a cost of Tk 12.67 crore with a capacity of 30,000.

Only pics I could find were:

Construction

Completed, showing a school prize giving award

#102 ·
looking much better!

#108 ·
Yes, but I understand some ceremonies (opening? closing?) are going to be held there.

While I don't know the politics behind it, I don't see why cricket could not be played at this stadium as well as football (soccer)? Doesn't this stadium have the largest capacity? Aren't there equal amount of cricket followers/fans as football, if not more?

#113 ·
Yes exactly the 2 sports are very different. Football boot studs can completely destroy a cricket pitch. So its a good thing they decided to build a more modern stadium for cricket in Mirpur and separated stadiums for cricket and football. And yes the 2 sports are equally popular in BD.

#116 · (Edited)
^^

I think the capacity at BNS and Mirpur is pretty much the same. After the recent renovation (where individual seats have been made compulsary by ICC advisory board), BNS and Mirpur can only accomodate around 25-30,000 spectators. Details available in the following Worldcup thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1312453

Also, BNS is used for athletics/ Track & field outside of football.

#117 ·
Dust bowl turns paradise

It was once a dry, hard as rock outfield, complementing the bouncy matting wicket fitted on its grassless face. Cuts and bruises to the players were a very common incident. The so-called dressing rooms were long stools beneath the media box of the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.

Commonly known as the Mirpur Outer Stadium, it was the figurative death-valley for cricketers, who played in the lower leagues (second, third and qualifying round).

When the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium became the home of cricket, matches stopped in this field and in time, it became even more deserted.

But after more than two years when the Tigers began their World Cup training on that same meadow yesterday, it looked like a green heaven amidst a concrete jungle.

And for those used to seeing the dusty area, it was a huge surprise and certainly it caught everyone's eyes.

So what actually happened here?

It has been transformed into an excellent practice ground for the GP-BCB National Cricket Academy with headquarters next door. The ground was developed in the last six months.

Once you enter, the green carpet speaks for itself. The grassy outfield is as good as any international ground. Anyone who will see this ground for the first time, would not even know what this ground was only two years ago.

A total of eleven wickets have been developed, four on two corners of the ground, with three in the centre. There are houses on two sides but the dwellers need not worry of a cricket ball hitting them as the fences surrounding the ground are high enough.

Till now the Academy, Under-15, the women's national cricket team and some Premier League clubs have used the ground. With the World Cup coming up, the Bangladesh cricket team practiced for the first time at that ground with a lot of satisfaction.

The only blemish was the height (or the lack of it) of the net structure that however can easily be solved.

“I came here earlier for some club practice. They can improve the environment around the ground. I think this is the best practice facility in Bangladesh, in terms of ground and wicket," said Tigers skipper Shakib Al Hasan yesterday.

It is practically the best practice ground in Dhaka, and any player would love to train there. With a heavy cricket schedule ahead, many feel that BCB should plan diligently so that the ground is not overused.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=169457

#123 ·
I was at BNS(Bangabandhu National Stadium) area few weeks back and the entire outer stadium was transformed under army supervision. They have removed hawkers and completely rebuilt all the entrances, expanded the sidewalks, made grassed medians and planted flower plants on both side. Also, there is a new parking lot right outside of the stadium.. Moreover, the whole area is going through extensive road carpeting.