SkyscraperCity Forum banner

myMississauga (Ontario, Canada)

247K views 1K replies 128 participants last post by  christos-greece 
#1 · (Edited)
The city (incorporated about 35-40 years ago) is located just west of Toronto with a population of just over 700,000 people. The city is trying to reinvent itself from being a suburb (which, unfortunately, has some less than inspiring sub divisions and industrial parks), to more of an urban centre with a genuine and vibrant downtown. Some of the more traditional village type communities include Streetsville and Port Credit. IMO - By far the most scenic street is Mississauga Road starting from Britannia and Mississauga Road (Queen Street) in Streetsville south to Port Credit; it's like a country road with a lot of great turn-offs, access to parks and great views of the Credit River (which flows into Lake Ontario).

Profile: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Forum_Mississauga_Profile_2.pdf
Quick Facts: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Forum_Quick_Facts_2.pdf

What the Mississauga City Centre (MCC) might look like within the next 10 years. There are currently about 9-10 towers u/c in MCC ranging from 30-56 storeys with no less than 30+ proposed ranging from 30-60 storeys.

Current Skyline (or part of):

Widesuites:

Parkside Village:

First tower of the new urban village

The Absolute World Project (buildings 4 and 5) which is currently under construction.

The Absolute Community (buildings 1,2 and 3)

One Park Tower (one of my favourites):

Various:

Kariya Park:

Streetsville Village:

Bread and Honey Festival and Parade from June 7th:

more to come...

See less See more
#4 ·
Kariya park! It has to be one of the most unique parks in Mississauga.
The Jubilee garden by the city centre is quite pretty as well.

#8 ·
Excellent park as well.

Vision for MCC Parks and Open Spaces

The link below provides a good illustration of what's to come re: parks and open spaces in MCC. The new parks cut through the new Daniels community and soon-to-be built Parkside Village (20+ towers, office space, restaurants, hotel, etc). It also shows the improvements that are coming (or proposed)for the area around the Civic Centre/City Hall, Library, Arts Centre, etc.

http://www5.mississauga.ca/rec&parks...y_Centre_h.pdf

#6 ·
this is incredible, by the way it sounds, I would have bet my money on a small-medium mountain town or somwhere remote-ville! it's really great, good eye-opener!

#9 · (Edited)
More Streetsville with pictures along the way to Port Credit down Mississauga Road

Bread and Honey Marathon from today

Down Mississauga Road with some pit stops:

University of Toronto in Mississauga:

I like the trees

Someone built themselves castle like homes - I love it.

Port Credit

Mississauga City Centre area

Central Library

City Hall

A few of the condo projects under construction in MCC

Eve:

Ultra Ovation:

U/C in Port Credit:

More to come including: Arts, theatre, business, shopping centres, attractions, new neighbourboods, resturants, etc

#13 ·
Great thread-- really shows the revolutionary changes in Canadian suburbs (Vancouver and Ontario in particular) which are making Canadian cities a unique mix of American and Asian/European urban planning and design principles.

#14 ·
Parkside Village may be a good example of your point per the following blurb from the developers (Amacon) per their marketing booklet:

___
2003 -30 acres of land acquired by Amacon in MCC
2003 - Urban Planning: Amacon hires world-renowned urban planning firm Urban Strategies. Urban Strategies proposes a plan that integrates a greater number of mixed-use spaces, pedestrian-friendly walkways, parks and streets conducive to vibrant lifestyles - the first urban village in Mississauga.
2005 - Municipal planners and officials meet on the west coast to study the Vancouver model. The agenda, principles in architecture and urban planning.
2008 - Sales office opens
___
In another part of MCC, Amacon recently completed a 30+ tower (Eden), a 2nd 30+ tower (Eve (pictured above)) is just about done and a 3rd 30+ tower has just started (Elle).

MCC has changed quite a bit in the past 5 years, in 5 years time, MCC will look much different from today and vastly different in 10 years time - all for the better! Not to be overly dramatic but, in my mind, we are experiencing the birth of a city - exciting times!

#16 ·
A new addition to the Credit Valley Hospital (west-end south/west of Streetsville) one of the main hospitals in Mississauga:

1-2 k west of Streetsville in Churchill Meadows/Erin Mills area:

[
Hershey Sports Zone:
This new edition includes 4 indoor soccer fields (not full size), 4 indoor basketball courts and a serious gymnastics facility. This is probably one of the best community sports facilities in the GTA.

The main hockey rink at the Hershey centre (this probably should have built in MCC but....

Along with the above facility this area includes 8 additional hockey rinks, an outdoor soccer field and an outdoor skateboarding park.

#20 · (Edited)
Interesting tid bit:

According to the website below: Mississauga is 35th in the world (not sure of the "as of date"); looks to be a couple years old) with 220 highrises (12 storeys+??). With all the new construction going on this will dramaticly go up.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/

This is cool as well...shows Mississauga buildings (new, proposed, existing) from highest to lowest...it looks to be a year old or so...missing a few buildings...

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=306

#24 · (Edited)
The population is for the city.

I take the list with a grain of salt and simply as an approximation based on a criteria that may consider anything above 8 storeys as a highrise or anything above 15 storeys as a highrise. I thought the same thing about Toronto/Tokyo/Hong-Kong but hey...

I will investigate...
_______
According to wikipedia at least, a highrise is defined as a building that is at least 70-75 feet (21-22M) or 6-7 floors to a maximum of 492 feet (150M) or about 42-44 floors; anything above is a skyscraper. Tokyo and Hong-Kong definitely seem to have more skyscrapers but Toronto, for example, may have more buildings that are considered highrises. Hey, I'm trying...:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-rise

#25 · (Edited)
More MCC pics:

Square One shopping centre, one of the largest in Canada; it recently went through a 40-50 million dollar renovation - very nice! More later...

Mississauga Arts Centre - one excellent facility! Great for kids as well.

Les Mews Daniel

YMCA (great facility!) and library

The Queen's Jubilee Garden at City Hall

Various:

21st century strip mall

Loblaws grocery store:

Rona Home Hardware

School, municipal library and community centre:

#26 ·
This is an amazing thread from a city I don't know much about.

From what I see in this thread I only can say that I am impressed.
Must be a great place to live in for a guy like me not that fond of busy streets and lots of open space.

One thing I really don't like are those overhead cables tough...why not put them in the ground ?

#27 ·
Thanks. The overhead cables, for the most part, run along one side of the main streets and transmission corridors; in the residential neighbourhoods they are buried. The main overhead cables that run through the main street in Mississauga City Centre probably will be buried sometime in the future but otherwise they are buried throughout MCC. I suspect they don't bury the ones that are exposed because of cost and maintenance; it's easier to maintain the cables if they are exposed as opposed to being buried.

#28 · (Edited)
More MCC condo projects that are u/c:

Onyx:

Eden (1st on left), Eve (2nd which is just about topped-off), Elle is the 3rd and is u/c:

Universal (just about done):

One Park Tower (just about done):

MCC:

Sega City (Video games, batting cages, basketball, beach vollyball, mini-golf, go-karts, etc):

#29 · (Edited)
Square One in MCC
From their website:
Back in 1973, Square One took shape in the middle of farmers' fields. Today it has grown to be the hub of Mississauga's City Centre.
It's a city within a city, with:

over 360 stores and services,
four major department stores - The Bay, Sears, Wal-mart and Zellers
over 40 places to eat, and
several community-based organizations
The Older Adult Centre
The Youth Centre
The Canadian Blood Services
The Open Door Centre
The Church at Square One and
The Mississauga Central Lions Club fundraising Farmer's Market.
In the next couple of years all the ground level parking around the mall is going to be redeveloped to create a village-like setting. The owners have spent 40-50 millon dollars renovating the interior now it's time to improve its surroundings.

From Tuscani01:

They have already started on the northeastern portion.

MCC:

Credit River that cuts through the centre of Mississauga along Mississauga Road. There is a great biking/walking trail (about 16K: just north of Streetsville south to Port Credit and Lake Ontario) that runs, for the most part, along side the river - fantastic! The fall colours make the trek that much more enjoyable. The trail runs through various parks along the way including Erindale Park (entrance is located at Dundas and Mississauga).

This is about 5 minutes west of the City Centre.

Looking south:

Looking north:

Notice the guy fishing.

#33 · (Edited)
Businesses:
- Over 52,000 in total
- Major Head Offices: 40 of Canada's top 500 companies and 57 Fortune 500 companies
- Employees in Mississauga: 425,000

RBC

BioVail

GSK

Microsoft

TD Bank

Bell Mobility campus

Various

Different kind of gas station re: Starbucks, Mother Tuckers, etc (Dixie and Eglinton) at least for Mississauga

MCC Area:
My favourite hamburger joint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.