SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Beautiful Germany: ERFURT, WEIMAR and more

10K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Pansori 
#1 ·
Recently I published my Berlin thread and now I'm moving on to another leg of my tour of Eastern part of Germany.

This time I was visiting the federal land of Thuringia which among other destinations has such gems as Erfurt, Weimar and Wartburg Castle.

Location for those who are not too sure where that is:

I stayed in Oberhof which is a town some distance away from Erfurt and is in the middle of forest area surrounded by scenic countryside.

I will start from there. View from my hotel in Oberhof. It's really pleasant to wake up and see this through the window away from the city

Driving in the area

Rennsteig Tunnel on the way to Erfurt on the A71. 7916m in length it's the longest road tunnel in Germany. Opened in 2003

Scenic views on the way

Approaching Erfurt

See less See more
#2 ·
Erfurt

The first sight of Erfurt which is the capital of Thuringia. Erfurt has a beautiful historic center which seemingly was lucky to avoid WW2 extensive destruction faced by some other cities. It's not a big city but has a nice public transport system and is generally very accessible and pleasant. Perfect for a day visit by car. Parking is not an issue (you can easily find free parking spots) and some Park&Ride areas are actually within walking distance (although you can take a tram if you want) to the city center. A good start.

Businessstrasse. A few too many s if you ask me :)

Nearing to the central part of Erfurt. The city is very well maintained and clean

An old tram which is used for city tours

#28 ·
#29 ·
#5 ·
Erfurt

Marktstrasse

Buildings around the Rathaus (City Hall) square

Modern buildings a bit further away from the historic core

Trams. There are a few different models (this is the newer one) of tram vehicles. It was a news to me that Erfurt uses a meter gauge (i.e. 1000mm) tracks. Apparently quite many tram systems use this gauge in Europe

#10 · (Edited)
Very nice pictures of Erfurt, thanks a lot.

Businessstrasse. A few too many s if you ask me
There is a quite funny anecdote relating to this street name. In 2002 the former mayor Manfred Ruge made a bet with the local "Businessclub". A group of businessmen with the aim to do lobbying activities for the region. Ruge bet, that Erfurt won't be displayed on the weather map of the nationwide news broadcaster "N-TV" for one year. Well, they made it and in January 2003 a street was named after this club in exchange.

Johannestrasse. Possibly one of the most impressive streets in Erfurt
I agree but this is not the Johannesstraße any more. Johannesstraße ends at Kaufmannskirche north of the Martin Luther monument you may have seen. The street on the picture is called "Anger". It reaches from the Kaufmannskirche down to the fountain at the end of the steet and includes also the big square where you took the picture of the modern building ("Angereck").

#12 ·
I agree but this is not the Johannesstraße any more. Johannesstraße ends at Kaufmansskirche north of the Martin Luther monument you may have seen. The street on the picture is called "Anger". It reaches from the Kaufmannskirche down to the fountain at the end of the steet and includes also the big square where you took the picture of the modern building ("Angereck").
That's right. I looked at the wrong end of that street :)

#19 ·
Weimar

Continuing with photos of Weimar which is probably a very familiar name to most but not necessarily a familiar place :)
Weimar is close to Erfurt but is by all means a destination in its own right. Spending an entire day is a must.

Statue of Karl August, Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

Rathaus (City Hall)

Marktplatz (Market square)

#30 ·
#31 ·
Thank you guys. :)
That area in Germany is really beautiful.

Thanks. :)
I think we have to keep in mind that most people here are interested in big cities and related activities. I have noticed a considerably higher interest in my Berlin thread. I myself hardly care about countryside or small towns no matter how beautiful they might be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.