SkyscraperCity Forum banner

[IL] Israel | road infrastructure - כבישים מהירים

236K views 585 replies 111 participants last post by  Will I am 
#1 ·
Israeli Highways

For some reason it is not easy to find high quality pictures of Israel's highway and road network, but a recently started thread in the Israeli forums prompted me to start one here.

Israel has a developed road network connecting all major towns and cities. A lot of roads are dual carriageways, but most of them are classified as "expressways" and contain at-grade intersections. However, there is a network of motorways that spans the densely populated shoreline.

The network is numbered, with odd numbers representing roads going east-west, and even numbers representing roads going north-south. Road numbers can consist of one, two, three, or four digits. The higher the number of digits, the less significant the road is (and a different colour is used for the number of each of the four categories). Roads that consist of a single digit are generally built to motorway standards, except for some sections that include at-grade intersections but will be upgraded (according to a new plan). The only exception is Highway 20, which is known more commonly by its name, "Ayalon Highway", and despite consisting of two digits it is a motorway in all of its length and is the busiest road in Israel. Also, some three-digit roads (such as the Begin Expressway in Jerusalem) are also dual carriageways.

All highways are free to drive on, except for the newly built (and still under construction) Highway 6, which is an electronic toll road.

I couldn't find a decent map of the road network, so I placed a more general map:

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Road 20 (Ayalon Hw)

major intracity freeway in Israel. The road goes through the center of the Tel Aviv area from north to south (with a planned east-west branch as well) and connects all of the major highways leading to the city - such as Highway 4 from Ashdod and the South, Highway 2 from Haifa and the North, Highway 5 from the East, and Highway 1 from Jerusalem and the Southeast. The Ayalon Highway is heavily travelled and some 750,000 vehicles per day use its main section[citation needed]. It consists of a multi-lane highway with a multi-track railway located between the opposite travel lanes. Some of the highway's route is along the Ayalon River, hence its name.

from above

Arlozorov Interchange (one of the most busiest)

Wolfson Interchange

[/

Moshe Dayan Interchange

Glilot Interchange

at night

general shots of the road

Northern part of the road

]

#10 ·
Very impressive motorways. However, motorway overhead signs have some elements of American design, and it obviously is not a good thing ;) Plus, there are too many textual messages IMHO. For instance, a simple EXIT signs becomes so big because the word 'EXIT' is written in 3 different languages :lol:

#11 ·
Hehe I couldn't agree more actually, I think the signing in Israel is very messy because of the 3 languages. They should write everything in English only :) Especially, if you happen to be able to read more than one (like me), it actually becomes quite confusing because not all languages get mentally "filtered" :)

#21 ·
lol chill man, I was just kidding. However, I do think that there is room for improvement on the signs. For example, in Greece (from what I've seen), each language is written in a different colour, that makes for better contrast. Also, they shouldn't write two languages sometimes side-by-side, sometimes one underneath the other, it is a little confusing.

#31 ·
beautiful shots of the roadways! as far as the signage goes...the Israeli highway signage appears to have a blend of both American and European characteristics in their signage. The green color is indeed an American prototype in signage which is affectionately used in The United States, Canada and other countries including Greece and as we see here, Israel...though there are characteristics and this is evident as I said in not only color but also font. On the other hand, if we were to look at other signage such as the speed limit signs, they tend to be characteristic of the European/International signage. Here in Greece as another member said, the billingual signs use a different color [white and gold] to designate in Greek and in English[Latin].

#34 ·
It is in red because that part of the highway is not classified as a freeway (not a "kvish mahir"). I don't know the reason for that (maybe there are at-grade traffic light intersections).

The part between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem uses only blue coloured signs and numbers, because it is a "kvish mahir".