SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1M views 4K replies 259 participants last post by  geogregor 
#1 · (Edited)
No skyscrapers planned, but plenty of interesting mid-rise projects. Notably:

http://www.thewatergardens.co.uk/ - still under construction

http://www.chambers-wharf.co.uk/ - finally a planning application for this crucial site

http://www.canadawater-southwark.co.uk/ - regeneration project around Canada Water - to include a distinctive new library by Piers Gough, a revamp of the mall (no info yet at http://www.surreyquaysshoppingcentre.co.uk/redevelopment.html), new restaurants, cafes, residential buildings

http://www.bermondseyspa.co.uk/site/bs_home.html - big regeneration project, mostly now in early stages of construction

Transport-wise, the East London Line (stops at Rotherhithe and Canada Water) shuts at the end of this year, to reopen two and a half years later with extensions north and south, new trains, and a rebrand as London Overground (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/networkandservices/2105.aspx)

And there's a feasibility study underway for a cycling and pedestrian bridge to link Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1093338220720), which would be very welcome as the Rotherhithe Tunnel is no fun if you're not in a car.

See less See more
#1,606 · (Edited)
Yes indeed: much obliged, SELondoner. Taken from the library, presumably.

So the protective canopy over the tube entrance is in place, and the concrete frame is making good progress - can't tell exactly how far it's reached behind the branded screening, but it's probably at least 40% of the way to its final height.

The cladding is a big test.

It's no surprise that the glass is looking greener than in the renders - that happens in every development. (Dibble's Law: the glass is always greener on the other side.)

The solid panels intrigue me, though. I see they alternate between solid and textured (ventilated?). That suggests that these more recent renders

are more reliable than the earlier ones, which I have to admit I find a little more attractive:

I hope that's simply the result of the design being refined for practical purposes, and not another bit of value-engineering vandalism (as happened to Toronto House).

I also wonder what colour those solid panels are - light brown metal? In some renders they've looked dark brown, in others white. It's a bit like Strata, where some of us were expecting a golden brown rather than white.

Can't see too much of the midrise u/c (Brandon House) in the pic, but it looks like concrete has reached the first floor at least.

#1,607 ·
Glad you guys like it. The mid rise is further advanced at the rear, up to 3rd/4th floor; the section in this view at the front is the lowest and doesn't do it justice.
The shot was taken today from the library as you surmised; I still can't believe how busy it is compared with the old one. Another reason to visit it is an exhibition starting this Thursday on the decathlon site:

I hope the above works, for some reason I couldn't embed my photo earlier on!

#1,608 ·
I wish I could go to that. Hope they give the consultation an online presence.

Here's latest intelligence on how thinking is developing:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=23917
Decathlon Site Update

Meeting of Rotherhithe Community Council, Wednesday 18 April 2012 7.00 pm (Item 11.)
Chris Horn presentation

Minutes:
Chris Horn, CHA Ltd, explained that the process of planning, design and development on the site was just beginning. There were would be further opportunities for comments and questions in the future. The aim at Site C and Site E was to create the town centre set out in the Canada Water Area Action Plan. Decathlon would be protected as the key retailer at the heart of Canada Water. The town centre would be more in tune with the needs of people living on the peninsula.

There had to be a certain amount of development to enable the Decathlon works. There would be improved open linked routes for pedestrians that would encourage walking to the area. There would be a major consultation event in mid-May probably at Canada Water Library. A planning application would follow in October 2012.

In response to questions, Chris said his team were co-ordinating plans with British Land. In terms of affordable housing, it was early days and discussions with the Council were taking place on the sort of housing investment that would take place. The height limit for any building would be along the lines of the Barratt building of 26 storeys. There would be about 200 car park spaces beneath the Decathlon site. There would be an environmental assessment to look at the potential impacts of the development. There were some exciting design and ecological opportunities raised by the development.

#1,610 ·
#1,612 ·
For me the Decathlon was a unique experience. There are thousands of appartment blocks, but only one sports shop of that size. I understand locals want housing, but I'll be sad to see it go.
The only other shops that also worthy tourist attractions in my mind are Whole Foods in Kensington High St, and M&Ms in Leicester Square.

#1,615 ·
Thanks for the Brandon House pic, SELondoner. That's going up quickly.

Re Decathlon, here's some of the wording from the invitation to the exhibition later this week:

The proposals involve the delivery of an exciting new flagship store for Decathlon, other new shops, cafes, restaurants and community facilities, new homes and new open spaces and places.

#1,617 ·
From the decathlon exhibition:

Early days but the headlines are that they say they want to keep Decathlon in a new 2-level store at the N. end of the site, with a fair amount of retail on the other plots too, fronting both the dock and Surrey Quays Road. About 1000 residential units above, possibly with one or two tall towers. Hoping to get a new food unit in (M&S simply food or an urban waitrose type thing) which I think would be very popular here.

#1,621 ·
From the decathlon exhibition:

Early days but the headlines are that they say they want to keep Decathlon in a new 2-level store at the N. end of the site, with a fair amount of retail on the other plots too, fronting both the dock and Surrey Quays Road. About 1000 residential units above, possibly with one or two tall towers. Hoping to get a new food unit in (M&S simply food or an urban waitrose type thing) which I think would be very popular here.
Option No 1 please!

#1,618 ·
Following the news that Leegate has a proposal to knock down the awful shopping precinct and office building, and replace it with an Asda; I took the opportunity to go take a look at what might be lost. Not my best effort, it was after a few pints at the Northbrook pub (which has had a fantastic refit). Enjoy:

Leegate Streetscape by corerising, on Flickr

The South side by the petrol station/ carwash still shows fire damage from the riots last summer.

Leegate Riot Damage by corerising, on Flickr

The Shopping Precinct:

Leegate Shopping Precinct by corerising, on Flickr

Went up the fire escape onto the roof to get some better pics of the offices:

Leegate Offices by corerising, on Flickr

Also managed to get a shot of the housing estate that has all the scaffolding up. There were banners on the side, looked to me like it is probably a refurb rather than demo :eek:hno: That is the multi-story car park on the right.

Leegate Housing Estate by corerising, on Flickr

North side Offices:

Leegate Offices by corerising, on Flickr

#1,632 ·
Ok. Lots of photos today with my new camera. The square behind the library really seems to work, tying together the library the flats and the station. Finally it feels like it's connected. The only view I'm not showing is the shopping centre with the BHS sign emblazoned on the side. Barratt's have become really good at making the exterior of flats look pleasant.

Fom the back

Gratuitous shot of the canal. Yes it's that strange colour

I love the maple relief on the balconies

#1,679 ·
^^More tasteful? I haven't seen a very recent pic of the cladding up close, but it looked good to me (although the glass is very green) judging from shots like these two and the comments below.

Ok. Lots of photos today with my new camera. The square behind the library really seems to work, tying together the library the flats and the station. Finally it feels like it's connected. The only view I'm not showing is the shopping centre with the BHS sign emblazoned on the side. Barratt's have become really good at making the exterior of flats look pleasant.

Checked out the Cladding today when I changed at Canada Water, very surprised! It looks great.
Yes. I went at the weekend and I agree.

#1,633 · (Edited)
Good stuff, thanks *Nurse*. The tower must be around half its final height now. Good to see the temporary barriers finally gone by the lake in front of the library and the permanent railings in place - so the square really is finished.

I see that the agents for the retail/restaurant units in Montreal House, KFH and Currell's, are no longer advertising them, so I guess someone has taken the lease. What will open there, I wonder? One of the units is currently occupied by Barratt's marketing suite, of course.

Meanwhile, if you've ever wondered what the strange wonky old house is at the top of King's Stairs Gardens, apparently it's also known as the Leaning Tower of Rotherhithe, and here's a well-written blog piece on it: http://thelondonphile.com/2012/05/09/the-leaning-tower-of-rotherhithe/

#1,641 ·
Very nice, CR. Too bad for the Clifford Chance employees they don't get any time to stare out the window...

I see that the agents for the retail/restaurant units in Montreal House, KFH and Currell's, are no longer advertising them, so I guess someone has taken the lease. What will open there, I wonder? One of the units is currently occupied by Barratt's marketing suite, of course.
Wrong, sadly: they've popped up with a different agent, Colliers Int'l.

http://www.colliersproperty.co.uk/restaurants-for-sale/london/

#1,634 ·
Nothing happening at Convoy's Wharf, but next door Paynes and Borthwick have a lot built, and I do hope they manage to make their idea of a creative live/work centre happen, having preserved the original facades:

Here it is from upstream, on the right. New Capital Quay is on the left

and more of New Capital Quay:

#1,723 ·
Nothing happening at Convoy's Wharf, but next door Paynes and Borthwick have a lot built, and I do hope they manage to make their idea of a creative live/work centre happen, having preserved the original facades:
I really like this mixed-use development in Deptford currently under construction and due for completon in summer/autumn 2013. It's a pretty low-key development which has had very little exposure because of its location tucked away in a secluded corner of Deptford.

Whatever exposure it's had tends to focus on its river-fronting "public face" comprising the art exhibition space built behind the grand Italianate arches of Paynes wharf and the adjacent residential tower-block built on the site of Borthwick wharf.

But the facade at the opposite end of Paynes wharf is also being retained. The old brickwork of the facade, cobblestone streets and mature trees of the adjacent Twinkle Park, all combine to give this part of the development a rather quaint and charming character, that is if the renders are an accurate reflection. The riverfront terrace, a public space featuring bars, restaurants and cafes appears as though it may be a little more glitzy, but overall the development seems to have a nice relaxed bohemian feel to it. Let's hope it turns out as good as it looks on paper!

Here are the renders lifted from the development website. I think they look great. What do others think? Does anyone have some recent photos?

1. The "public face" of Paynes and Borthwick

2. Paynes wharf facade along Borthwick St and opposite Twinkle Park

3. Public thoroughfare connecting Borthwick St to the riverfront promenade

4. Art exhibition space and riverside terrace

5. Main entrance into the development