Santa Monica Place

Torrance

Del Amo Fashion Centre

Gardena

South Bay Galleria

NOTE: still editing

See less See more
#2 ·
The only one I like is the Beverly Center. The concealed parking adds to the vibrancy of the mall and brings the building out to the curb so it doesn't feel cold and isolated and set back. It adds to the hustle of the neighborhood. All of the other malls notably Fox Hills has huge, I mean huge parking lots surrounding the building, so it feels removed from the area and becomes too bright in the summer with all of that concrete and open space. Massive amounts of parking should always be tucked away underground or within structures.

#7 ·
I do like the South Bay Galleria since it has such a timeless design.. Neon pink glass
elevators, indoor palms and DANCING FOUNTAINS!!

Why does everyone NOT THINK THE GROVE WILL LOOK LIKE THAT IN 10 YEARS!?!?! DANCING FOUNTAINS!!!

I do think the South Bay galleria should be preserved as is, so future generations can remember the brilliance of the late eighties.

#8 ·
karlarrec1 said:
Most of those are either undergoing renovation/reconstruction, or else will be in the near future.

(I mean: Beverly Center, Century City, Westside Pavilion, Santa Monica Place, Fox Hills.)

Hopefully with the renovations with some of these mall. They don't forget to make more regular parking spot. Not everyone drives a pinto or Datsun.

#11 ·
^i'm not sure about that, i'd say the largest is the brea mall. that place is ridiculously huge.

you also forgot some malls in LA, theres a bunch in the valley topanga, warner center, and some more that i dont even know. in the main part of the city theres also the grove, macy's plaza, and hollywood and highland, which i consider to be a mall.

#12 ·
I think Del Amo is the largest in Califormia, I don't really like it though it's to long not very well tought out it seems like they just kept adding more to it. They are rebuilding a whole wing of it though turning it into an out door area, I think they might redo the rest of it in later sections.

#13 ·
solongfullerton said:
^i'm not sure about that, i'd say the largest is the brea mall. that place is ridiculously huge.

you also forgot some malls in LA, theres a bunch in the valley topanga, warner center, and some more that i dont even know. in the main part of the city theres also the grove, macy's plaza, and hollywood and highland, which i consider to be a mall.
Don't forget about Sherman Oaks Galleria!!!

#16 ·
#24 ·
The author seems to have been clueless about that area of Pico before the mall. Besides the dying May Co, it was mostly dilapidated tiny stores and cafes with a couple of 80 year old zombies sitting in them. One of few places on the westside with street people outnumbering customers. And once you get off Pico, you go straight to quiet sfh's. Not really a place for expanding retail and street-life onto the surrounding streets. In fact, the neighborhood wouldn't permit it. Enclosed and self-contained parking was the only way to keep the 'hood quiet and handle the additional flood of cars.

The mall was neither here nor there for its time. Of course, opening it up to the street is the fashion now, but it's hard to blame someone 30 years ago for not doing it.

Contrast this to Beverly Center, which is not surrouned by sfh's and had an enormous area to work with, but still went self-contained.

#26 ·
I visted WP today. I was pleased that some of the orginal details are still there such as the elevator, including the elevator on the roof, and ther are also some orginal lamps on the roof. It could get back more of the orginal feel if they just repainted it so its not just all white and put in new floors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.