SkyscraperCity Forum banner

London 2012 - Skybar and News

998K views 6K replies 418 participants last post by  hugodiekonig 
#1 ·
Seeing as the other thread has gone...

The next 100 days - hitting the ground running

London 2012 Chairman Sebastian Coe has revealed the next steps as the capital begins planning for the the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

The double Olympic champion confirmed that he will take up the role of Chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (LOCOG) and said that the first LOCOC board meeting will take place before the end of the month.

"The last few days has been an emotional period for London and for the whole of the country," Lord Coe told a press conference in Canary Wharf.

"The tragic events of 7 July have affected us all but have also made Londoners and the bid team ever more resilient, determined and united to deliver the best Games ever.

"Nine days into our life as a Host City, we have moved into a different phase delivering a complex multi-faceted project."

The bid leader pledged that work on the London Games would begin immediately and outlined the structure of the LOCOG team.

London 2012 Chief Executive Keith Mills will become Deputy Chairman of LOCOG, and a new Chief Executive will be recruited over the coming months.

And a transition team of approximately 50 people has already been put in place to ensure key priorities are addressed while LOCOG is established.

An Olympic Bill has already been introduced to Parliament, and Olympic Lottery Scratchcards, which will play a key role in funding the 2012 Games, will go on sale within weeks.

The bid leader also reiterated the vision for the Games that London outlined to the International Olympic Committee in Singapore.

"Our plans are about more than just bricks and mortar or financial packages," he said.

"We set out a vision in Singapore and we are now calling on all relevant agencies in the UK to work with us to deliver it.

"This is about inspiring more young people to become involved in sport and giving the young athletes the help they need to become champions of the future."

In the wake of the London terrorist bombings, Lord Coe also addressed the issue of security for the 2012 Games.

He stressed the key role security experts had played in London's bid and said that creating a new Olympic Park would mean secuity measures would be 'designed in' from day one.

Lord Coe also outlined plans for a Cabinet-level Olympic Security Committee, which would be Chaired by the Home Secretary and would include senior representatives from the security services.

15 July 2005

See less See more
#5,583 ·
Brazil sports minister says theft of London Olympic files was lamentable, unacceptable

-- Link to Washington Post article --

Minister Aldo Rebelo said the Rio 2016 committee acted “correctly to investigate the incident” and fire its 10 employees who downloaded the internal documents without authorization during the London Games.

Rebelo, the government official in charge of overseeing Brazil’s World Cup and Olympic preparations, said in a statement that the employees’ behavior does not represent the relationship of “trust and harmony” between the countries hosting the Summer Games.

It was the first time the Brazilian government officially commented on the embarrassing episode, which hadn’t been made public by local organizers and was only confirmed after a report in Brazilian media.

The minister said he didn’t think the episode would affect the relationship between Brazil and Britain ahead of Rio’s preparations for the 2016 Summer Games.

“It’s a lamentable episode involving two private entities — the Olympic organizing committees of London 2012 and Rio 2016,” Rebelo said. “The Rio 2016 committee acted correctly to investigate the incident, along with the London committee, to punish those responsible. The behavior of these people was unacceptable and does not express the attitude of trust and harmony which has marked the cooperation between the two countries in their preparation of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

His comments came after Brazilian media published unconfirmed reports that London 2012 organizers were disappointed and planned to cooperate less with Rio now as opposed to before the episode happened.

“The United Kingdom, actually, has already approved the creation of a working group to act with the Brazilian government to relay its experience as host of the London Games to help Brazil overcome the challenges of preparing the Rio 2016 Games,” Rebelo said.

The Rio 2016 committee did not say which types of files were downloaded or name the employees fired, only noting that they were not in managerial positions. London officials said Friday the documents likely would have been provided to the Rio team had they requested them.

The employees removed the files while working alongside London staff in the technology department as part of an official “transfer of knowledge program” between the Olympic host cities during the July 27-Aug. 12 London Games.

The Rio 2016 committee was heavily criticized for not disclosing the incident even though it happened more than a month ago. After Brazilian journalist Juca Kfouri reported the case, it released a statement saying that the employees were engaging in conduct “contrary to the ethical principles and mutual trust shared by the two organizations.”

It also said “all of the documents were recovered and returned” after the “isolated case”, noting that about 200 Rio employees were represented in London during the Olympics and Paralympics.

#5,591 ·
All us Team Canada NPC assistants are meeting up before Xmas, as if spending 4 weeks inside one and other's pockets wasn't enough! I think we all had such an amazing time and we want to get back to that, the nearest we can do is meet up again, we've got a special place we went for food after the first time we met and where we went after our last shift. I feel so odd right now, Being involved in the games and checking on the build up of the games for the last 6 years means I feel so empty now, going back to work is so mundane! My last shift was a month ago today, but I still can't stop thinking about it!

Not sure I've put this link up before, but one of my fellow Games Makers for Canada wrote this blog, she's training to be a sports journalist, this was the crazy stuff we got up to:

http://pippafield2012.wordpress.com/

#5,595 ·

It was the Olympic Games we will never forget; an extraordinary event in Britain's history with intense drama, sporting brilliance and heart-wrenching emotion. Capturing the key moments of the Games, including a specially-edited version of the entire Opening Ceremony from Director Danny Boyle, over seven hours of sporting highlights and the full Closing Ceremony, these day-by-day highlights relive the triumphs, moving stories and memories that will live on forever.

Experience once again the magnificent performances from outstanding athletes such as Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Chris Hoy and Jessica Ennis. Marvel at the many amazing achievements, including Mo Farah's double gold, Oscar Pistorius' Olympic Games debut and Nicola Adams' gold in the boxing ring. Relive Team GB's 29 gold medal triumphs and recapture the moments which made these Olympic Games so special; from the electrifying atmosphere in the stadium on 'Super Saturday' to judo's Gemma Gibbons' tearful dedication and the pure emotion of swimmer Chad le Clos' father.

#5,596 ·
My copy came arrived today. I am a little miffed that they've split the Opening Ceremony over 2 discs, but all the same I can't wait to get into watching it all. Not watched it properly yet but looked at a few bits to see what Boyle's commentary is like and to check whether you can watch it without the BBC commentary (you can :D).

Noticed on the director's cut they've tried to show more of the parades around the track whilst the rings are being forged. They've also cut out the Queen fiddling with her finger nails and just cut to her looking up at Team GB parading, lol.

#5,597 ·
Seb's flogging his book:

The head of London's bid said that Mrs Blair rounded on the French president at a reception for Olympic delegates, scaring him off before he met anybody "who really mattered".
The prime minister's wife was angry at sneering comments Mr Chirac had made about British food, being overheard claiming "you can't trust people who cook as badly as that".
She went straight up to him at the International Olympic Committee's reception for delegates in Singapore and lambasted him with "I hear you have been making rude comments about our food".
Mr Chirac replied that she should "not believe every-zing you read" but Mrs Blair retorted: "I didn't read it, I saw it on television".
The confrontation ended with a "massively discomforted" Mr Chirac leaving, Lord Coe writes in Running My Life, which is being serialised in the Times.

"She was at him like a banshee and he couldn't get out of the building fast enough," he said. "Chirac had met nobody who really mattered."

Mrs Blair's intervention helped transform London's bid which had been languishing behind that of Paris's as they arrived in Singapore on the eve of the final vote in 2005.
As well as inspirational last minute presentation by Lord Coe London edged out its French rival in the final elimination, by 54 votes to 50.

The British delegation "just erupted" when London was declared the surprise winner, Lord Coe writes, while the members of the IOC "looked utterly shell-shocked".
Lord Coe claims Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, saw the Games as an opportunity to "crowbar money" from the state.

He wrote: "He happily told me, "I hate sport. I'm doing this because I know I can get money out of government." Bringing the Olympics to Stratford was simply the quickest way to regenerate East London. I used to say,

"Look, Ken, it would be nice if, occasionally, you could just acknowledge that we are hosting a sporting event."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...cs-with-banshee-attack-on-Jacques-Chirac.html

I had a nightmare that Cherie and I were attacked by an alligator. Those dead, lifeless eyes glittering with ancient evil, the mouth twisted with malice, shudder.

#5,599 ·
From London2012.com

Olympic and Paralympic cauldron ‘petals’ sent as gifts to competing nations

Today the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) commenced the distribution programme of the handmade copper petals from the cauldron that burned so brightly during the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
Designed by renowned British designer Thomas Heatherwick, the London 2012 cauldron represented every participating nation through a series of handmade copper elements, known as ‘petals’, with one created for every country taking part in the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Each National Olympic Committee and each National Paralympic Committee will receive their copper piece by the end of the year. Heatherwick Studio’s vision was that there would not be a large cauldron left after the 2012 Games. Instead, each of the copper petals was to be offered to each country as a memento of their incredible sporting achievements.

During the Opening Ceremony for the Olympic Games the 204 petals for the Olympic cauldron were carried into the Stadium as part of the parade by young people from East London who accompanied each competing nation. The young people placed the petals on the cauldron before it was lit and raised into its upright position. During the Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony the 164 petals representing each nation were pre-set before the parade of nations and prior to the spectacular cauldron lighting sequence.

Sebastian Coe, Chair of LOCOG, said: ‘I am delighted to conclude the story of the cauldron by presenting each National Olympic Committee and each National Paralympic Committee with the copper petal that represented the achievements of their teams at the 2012 Games. Each petal is an iconic symbol of each nation's participation in the London Games and a fitting final gift from London to the world.’

#5,601 ·
Went watching 'Skyfall' at the weekend. Everytime the classic Bond theme played in the background, I couldn't help but giggle :| :( My mate said, "What is it you keep laughing about?" before going "Oh, I know what it is, you're thinking about the Queen parachuting again aren't you?"

I just can't help it! Everytime I hear the Bond music, I think of the Queen and have a little smile on my face.

#5,603 ·
£9 billion Olympics 'good value', says spending watchdog

-- Link to Daily Telegraph article --

The public sector funding package of just under £9.3 billion was more than three times the £2.4 billion cost estimated during the bid phase. But the total is now expected to come in at just over £8.9 billion, saving £377 million, although the final figure will not be known until 2014.

The National Audit Office said: “By any reasonable measure the Games were a success and the big picture is that they have delivered value for money. LOCOG [the Games organisers] sold 11 million tickets and our athletes excelled. The contribution of the ceremonies and the volunteers was a huge part of the success and we do not underestimate the work involved. Crucially, the Games passed off without major transport disruption or security incident. The scale of the construction programme and the fact that it was completed on time and within budget is impressive.”

Boris Johnson hailed the report, saying: “The doomsters and Olymposceptics have been confounded yet again.” The National Lottery stands to be reimbursed for much of its contribution, which will be available to distribute to good causes. This includes a share in the proceeds of the future sale of the Olympic Park.

Also in the report, the NAO warned that the Cabinet Office would have to show strong leadership in bringing together the various organisations responsible for coordinating the legacy of the Games. The cost of the Olympic Delivery Authority’s programme to build venues and infrastructure is expected to be £6.7 billion, compared to the £8.1 billion that had been made available in the 2007 budget.

The NAO said success of the Games spanned from the opening and closing ceremonies through to the 11 million tickets sold for the Olympics and Paralympics, while meeting the huge challenge of recruiting and deploying 70,000 volunteers. British athletes won 65 medals, including 29 gold, at the Olympics, and 120, including 34 gold, at the Paralympics. Amyas Morse, head of the NAO, said: “Few could have envisaged how successful the London 2012 Games would turn out to be.”

But the Games had faced an added £514 million bill to cover venue security costs, after contractor G4S fell short in supplying the agreed number of security guards, and extra troops and police were deployed to plug the gap. The NAO’s post-games review said that 135,000 additional days of military personnel time had been provided, at a cost of £36 million, according to figures supplied by the Ministry of Defence. It said the Home Office had calculated that the police service provided 12,000 shifts at an estimated cost of £6 million. Margaret Hodge, chairman of Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee, said the exception to the smooth build-up and delivery of the Games was G4S's "unacceptable failure" to fulfil its contract.

Boris Johnson said: “This report puts into black and white the scale of the achievement in organising such a successful festival of sport, and pays tribute to the many different players who helped make the Games the greatest show on earth.”

Sports minister Hugh Robertson said the UK can look back with pride “on an outstanding Olympics and a groundbreaking Paralympics, which showed Britain at its best".
~~

National Audit Office - Executive summary (download) [PDF - 78KB]
National Audit Office - Full report (download) [PDF - 402KB]

#5,605 ·
Olympics hailed for boosting tourism in the North East
by Sarah Scott, The Journal, January 19th 2013

Photo posted on this forum by - clash01

THE Olympics brought the North East a multi-million- pound tourism and business boost, a new report has revealed. Figures from the NewcastleGateshead Initiative reveal that the London 2012 events boosted the region’s tourism economy by more than £7m, while firms with contracts related to the games won £150m worth of trade.

During the London 2012 Olympic Games, Newcastle was one of six Olympic Football venues, with matches being held at St James’ Park. Approximately 127,000 people attended Olympic football in the city, contributing over £7m to the region’s economy. Sarah Stewart, chief executive of the destination management and marketing agency, said the Olympics had been a great success in putting Newcastle on the world stage. “It was a fantastic opportunity for us to be able to showcase what NewcastleGateshead had to offer,” she said.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...m-in-north-east-61634-32634455/#ixzz2IQ2rsfvE

#5,607 ·
well, it was sort-of obvious, wasnt it? In fact, the decision not to build that is a microcosm of everything thats wrong with left wing boneheadedness: Livingston was determined that a private football club wouldnt use it, so pushed for the 25k legacy, despite the fact that it was against the long term interests of taxpayers and it was a waste of a fantastic site.

#5,608 ·
Erm...and it was also half of the reason we won the bid? to provide a true athletics legacy in London. The fact it's being sold off to a football club is a huge shame - the best outcome now could be mixed use.

Also wasn't it West Ham that were against the idea of retractable seating?

#5,610 ·
How is it a huge shame given that athletics will bet guaranteed long term use of a venue that has the capacity to hold future large scale events rather than another 20-30k venue that couldnt? How exactly is it a huge shame that a crucial area of East London will see more or less constant use rather than occasionally during summer months? Mixed use would not have been counter to the promises made to the Olympic Committee, and West ham's owners had suggested at the time that they would put £200 million into a multi-use stadium, but Livingston/ Jowell ploughed on with the concrete bowl solution regardless. Instead of it costing the taxpayer £500 million its now going to cost 50% more. Well done, Comrades.

#5,612 ·
Gavrosh said:
How is it a huge shame given that athletics will bet guaranteed long term use of a venue that has the capacity to hold future large scale events rather than another 20-30k venue that couldnt? How exactly is it a huge shame that a crucial area of East London will see more or less constant use rather than occasionally during summer months? Mixed use would not have been counter to the promises made to the Olympic Committee, and West ham's owners had suggested at the time that they would put £200 million into a multi-use stadium, but Livingston/ Jowell ploughed on with the concrete bowl solution regardless. Instead of it costing the taxpayer £500 million its now going to cost 50% more. Well done, Comrades.
Before we even start this.. Have you read the bid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.