SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Scotland Skybar

223K views 801 replies 95 participants last post by  JohnTw 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hola folks!

So this thread is for general chatter and banter, and doesn't have to be related to Glasgow in the slightest. As long as it doesn't involve stuff that will obviously provoke a negative reaction from people, like talking about the Old Firm, feel free to post anything you like.

I'll start off the proceedings by throwing over the Silent Rave stuff.

Chato-tron: Activate!

The Boy David

=====================================================================================================

Did anyone catch the Glasgow Silent Rave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRiBzngEYt0

If so how many people turned up?

See less See more
#258 · (Edited)
Hi guys/girls.

As some you know I come on here asoftenas I can, and take an active interest in Glasgow and to a lesser extent Edinburgh.

Anyway, most of you may also know that I have for about the last 6-9 month's have been involved in trying to get my city (Newcastle) it's own Sub-Forum. And over the last month or two me and another member, Newcatle Historian have been mmore active in the case.
Gothic has been able to see clearly the evidence that we have shown him, that both the forumers in Newcastle and the whole SSC forum can take many positives out of the step.

Anyway, Gothic has now said to us, that support would be needed from other forumers, and mods for anything like this to go ahead.

So I have came on here and decided to ask with some cheeck, if some of you would be able to help us out and send in support of this idea to either Gothic (directly, and preferd) himself via a private message, or by sending messages of support in the petiton thread in the forum issue menu (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=824346).

I have sent a similar meesage about this, to both your mod on here and Boards.

I thankyou in advance for any support we get from you guys in all of Scotland.

#265 ·
Hi guys, wee info please about La Caprese restaurant in Buchanan St: any good?

#275 ·
This made me lawl :)

Firm seeks Glaswegian interpreter
A translation company is looking to recruit Glaswegian interpreters to help business clients who are baffled by the local dialect.

Today Translations placed an advert in The Herald newspaper on Tuesday seeking speakers of "Glaswegian English".

Successful candidates, who could earn up to £140 a day, must understand "vocabulary, accent and nuances".

The firm said, so far, 30 people had applied for the positions - some of them in Glaswegian.

Today Translations spokesman, Mick Thorburn said: "Over the last few months we've had clients asking us for Glaswegian translators.

"After some consideration we've decided this is a service we would like to offer.

"Usually, the role would involve translating documents but in this case its more likely to be assisting foreign visitors to the city whose 'business English' is not good enough to understand the local dialect."

Mr Thorburn said successful candidates may have to sit in on business meetings.

He added: "We're not necessarily looking for people who are particularly skilled in linguistics, just candidates who can help out clients who may struggle with native Glaswegian."

Today Translations said that depending on the volume of applications, it expected to contact the successful clients in the next few weeks.

Earlier this year a bus driver was recognised for teaching his Eastern European colleagues at First Glasgow bus company to understand Glaswegian slang.

James Lillis said: "When new employees come to Scotland and hear the Glasgow accent, it can be a problem. Drivers have to learn to understand what is meant when a customer says, for example, 'Gie us an aw day tae the toon' (Give me an all day ticket to the town)."

#276 ·
^^ In a similar vein

The Times said:
AS communist vice-president of the National Union of Mineworkers, Mick McGahey was regarded by Tory ministers and the security services as a potentially dangerous subversive.

But attempts by MI5 to bug his phone calls proved fruitless because his rambling, drunken conversations, in his thick Glaswegian accent, were indecipherable to English spies...
Continues at The Times

#277 ·
It was such a nice day today, so I decided to have a look around some new developments. 2 West Regent Street looks great, Citizen M is progressing quickly and Cuprum actually looks nice in the sun. I've taken a real interest in Art Nouveau recently, so I went and admired some of our greatest examples (sans Mackintosh). The Hatrack and The Athenaeum are easily my favourites. Then I had a late-lunch on the Broomielaw as the sun began to set. The public realm is fantastic and the bridge has really grown on me, I was surprised at the number of people who use it! So anyway that was my cheesy day:D

#282 ·
You got to upload you images on to a hosting site firstly Kent. somthing like photobucket or image shack image shack, both are a free service to sign up.

Secondly once they load up you will copy and paste the properties of the image after hosting you will see the url properties if you right click on the image and paste it when you press the image button in your reply toolbar when posting.

There are help files on both hosting sites on how to upload images.

Don't use the quick reply section use the post reply button, it has all the buttons for attaching images, let me know if you need anymore help.

good luck.

Mo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.