SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PORTSMOUTH | Full Summary of Projects

696K views 3K replies 132 participants last post by  ViennaPompey 
#1 ·
The Official Eastside Plaza Construction Thread

The Official Eastside Plaza Construction Thread

Portsmouth, UK, 95m

On Tuesday, I went up the newly built 170m Spinnaker Tower and took some pictures of the spectacle of the south coast. I knew the new Eastside Plaza, 95m was under construction, but the tower foundations and base were hid behind hoardings....all was shown however to be different when viewed from the. I took over 200 pictures when up there (I won the contest me and my mates were having there ;)) over the 1hr 30mins that I was up there. Its definately worth the visit on a clear day and its quite amazing looking at how flat and dense (2nd densest city in the UK after London as its on an island) Portsmouth is.

Without much more to do - first construction pictures of the 95m tower, the constructions to the right are around 6-12 storeys in height.

As a teaser of an upcoming thread from the 170m Spinnaker Tower....

See less See more
#497 ·
There has been positive words about Portsmouth's future from two very senior government ministers this weekend. First Vince Cable opening the new ferry terminal;
He hailed the new terminal – built as part of a £16.5m redevelopment of the expanding port – as a tribute to the city council and its residents.

Speaking to The News, Mr Cable said: ‘This terminal is absolutely brilliant, a great building. Portsmouth is a really exciting city.

‘It’s very clear that Portsmouth is on the up.

‘There are high-tech industries expanding here, such as BAE Systems, which I deal with regularly as business secretary; Astrium, IBM is based here, Pall Europe and others.

‘There is growth in Portsmouth, and regeneration.

‘What I see in Portsmouth is a success story. Portsmouth is a really exciting city.’
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/transport/business_secretary_vince_cable_says_new_portsmouth_port_terminal_is_symbol_of_a_city_on_the_up_1_2682645
And also Jeremy Hunt on a visit to Hindhead has highlighted the economic benifits that the tunnel will bring to Portsmouth upon its opening in July;
‘The truth is that while Hindhead is a lovely place, for years it has been rightly regarded by people in the south as a horrendous bottleneck,’ he said.

‘Now hopefully this tunnel will get rid of that problem, and help to bring new business opportunities and jobs to Portsmouth. With easier transport through this area more and more people are going to want to invest in the city.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/east-hampshire/thousands_walk_through_a3_hindhead_tunnel_1_2684338

#503 ·
Monkey bars, eh? Nice. :lol: No summer holiday? That sucks, but it's good that you'll be around to keep us updated on the progress!

I do indeed - I'm normally in the ground floor lecture theatre unfortunately, but I might be able to get access to the upper floors. Same with King Henry and Anglesea Buildings, I'll see what I can do. :)

#502 ·
I plan on getting some photos from Park over summer, I am a postgrad student at Portsmouth (and thus do not get as summer holiday) so will be here all year round. I went to get some photos Saturday with my friend but we got distracted by the monkey bars.

I wish I was joking.

#506 ·
Not a bad idea, a specific thread on the P&C forum is going to be a bit of a waste of time IMO. Again the fact that we're still stuck in the very darkest depths of the UK & Ireland forums, with no sign that the slightest improvement is even remotely likely, mean this project will not receive the attention it deserves. WE NEED A SOUTH OF ENGLAND SUBFORUM FFS!!!! :bash:

#507 ·
Totally agreed, Pompey77 - Portsmouth really deserves to be more prominent in this forum. Should I go and make one for the WDN Highrises section just now? Just so it can get a bit more attention, especially if we're not getting a South of England Subforum anytime soon. Or just wait for a bit and see if this can get more attention in the UK section.

#510 ·
I think we need to up the ante and get a moderator to listen, its not as if were a small number here; the welsh subforum with all the advantages a subforum brings to create proper focused debate and ease of access and comprehension for visitors appears to have around 10 regular posters, this thread gets around 4/5, Bristol's gets around 7/8, even Gloucester and Weston-Super-Mare have about 3/4 each.

I don't think its overly ambitions to expect those figures to at least double with a dedicated subforum given all that is going on in these areas, similarly the numbers of forumers from other parts of UK&I popping in to view and comment will increase dramatically.

I haven't heard a single argument against this and its starting to piss me off that nothings happening.

#512 ·
Some pics of progress at fort Nelson;

Untitled by Royal Armouries, on Flickr

Backfilling the side of the visitor centre with chalk by Royal Armouries, on Flickr

The round structure is the new visitor centre which looks like its going to be buried and the wooden structure within the fort is the new gallery. Looking much better than I was expecting.

#514 ·
The gallery will look great if all of the open bits are glazed and then some sort of green roof added on the flat bits, I'm fairly certain that's the plan - would any other roof treatment work in the context of the fort?

Eco credentials yes, except for all that concrete in the visitor centre. The wooden structure certainly looks a lot better than a load of steel especially since it will remain exposed.

#518 · (Edited)
I hope they remove those barriers in the middle of the road, insert a few tress in the central reservation and make it more pedestrian friendly :)
It would look much better but I'd be surprised if they did, there's no real need to cross Anglesea Rd. except from at the two ends where crossings exist. Also there's a bit of a safety issue with drunk students walking home from Gunwharf, the fact that they were looking at rebuilding the pedestrian bridge shows they see this as an issue. Anyway a higher priority should be removing all the barriers and the brick toblerone from WC avenue.

Presumably these trucks are taking away all the spoil from the ground works. They seem to be generating a lot considering there's no basement to dig out?

Good to see this is in full swing, I'm gonna have to do some updating of the project summary. To show this as U/C!

On another note I've finally found the plans and architects of the Fort Nelson development, I think its fair to say they look excellent. I've set up another thread on the Cultural and Sporting venues sub forum to avoid diverting this thread too much. Here's a link; http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1385614

#520 ·
Very quick update from today - they appear to be taking down the hoarding around the Blade site and replacing the wooden fencing that keeps the hoarding stable (there were a couple of trucks from some fencing company, one of which you can see below). Not sure if they're planning to re-install the same hoarding afterwards, or replace the site barrier entirely. Didn't have time to stop for any length of time (was on my way to an exam!) but I got a picture:

#522 ·
Had another look on my way to HMS Warrior at about 3pm, they were putting all the plain blue hoarding back up, so no branding just yet! Looks like they were just re-fortifying it or something like that, so nothing exciting by the looks of it!

#523 ·
I'd just like to say (belated) congratulations on the Blade beginning construction! I only visit this thread occasionally and as has been mentioned previously there is very little visibility for this project elsewhere in the Forum - a South of England subforum is a very good idea. Can someone remind me how tall it's going to be please (I know it was supposed to be taller than 1 Gunwharf Quays which is 95m I think).