SkyscraperCity Forum banner

This is why I hate Brickell

10K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  casamagda 
#1 ·
Because nothing ever happens around here. I mean.... it's dead! No city life or anything! IT'S JUST SO BORING!!!

Pattys Day Sigafredo/Irishpub

See less See more
#8 ·
You have become infected with Spell's sense of humor.

#6 ·
Same up here. Packed and crazy everywhere. Somewhere there's a Mitt Romney operative pounding sand in frustration because the economy is brightening and people are spending money again.

But maybe gas will go over 5 bucks a gallon to lift their spirits.

When you work in the industry, St. Paddy's is known as 'amateur night.' HIGH maintenance and plenty of nonsense. But it's also lucrative after the last besotted guy in a green plastic hat is shown the door.

Hope it was a fun one for all!

#9 ·
Because nothing ever happens around here. I mean.... it's dead! No city life or anything! IT'S JUST SO BORING!!!
There is no night life, no street life, no any kind of life! I just want to curl up and die! :eek:hno:

DSC_0329 by QuantumX, on Flickr

#13 ·
yeah i wasn't out late enough to see all this going on but i was all around brickell yesterday, i went to the capital grille for the first time yesterday (AMAZING!) SUPER! fancy the food was impeccable they had paintings of people influential to miami on the wall and the cheesecake was to die for. Anyway i then took the mover to "museum park" to watch cavalia! the show was very good, but a little too slow for me. I prefer cirque de soleil, blue man group, and fuerza bruta! but the city was electric none the less and im glad to see how far we've come!

#18 ·
Even though the pics are nice...I still wonder where this kid is from? You also have to try to see it from the other person point of view...If I was to go to Buenos Aires right now...the city at night not to mention on the weekends would be crowded with people out and about...but then again..Is not fair to compare an 18+ million city to a 5.5 million like South FL. I am so used to lots of people being in the streets, eating, having dinner. etc...the only city that I can compare it to is NYC....and maybe SoBe during the weekend.

#25 ·
NYC is the media and cultural capital of the world's superpower, and is a city built on a dense urban core, plus has the subway. It is as they say a bit of the capital of the world. BA is a national capital and alongside Madrid/Barcelona the most important cultural and entertainment center of the Spanish speaking world, and it also has subway. Both have thriving theater districts and and insane amount of restaurants/nightlife/museums/sport/history/fill__in__the__blank. They are Alpha cities.

Miami can't replicate that nor should it, it will be ok, it has its unique things because of its location on the world map: North America meets Caribbean meets South America meets Europe. That's pretty good.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1
#19 ·
^^ In ten or fifteen years, the vibrancy of downtown Miami today will seem dull and insignificant, but for now, it's hard not to get excited about our burgeoning downtown street life. We're still lagging behind most North American cities, not to mention cities on the other continents, but you can also see the seeds of a vibrant downtown are being planted.

#23 ·
We're still lagging behind most North American cities, not to mention cities on the other continents, but you can also see the seeds of a vibrant downtown are being planted.
To say MOST N.American cities is harsh... maybe some. Most N American cities do not have professional basketball teams in their downtown, water taxis, or marinas.

I've been living and/or working in downtown for 10 years, and I know the seeds were planted before I started working on downtown.
I love it...

Now, off for a couple cocktails at Novocento, then the Metromover or the Monkey Shuttle to the Miami Heat game.
Afterwards, we'll probably walk through Bayside for drinks then on to some more waterfront eats and drinks at Il Gabbiano.

Tuesday night in Downtown Miami is great and gettting better.

#24 ·
Brickell was awesome on St. Paddy's but I also heard from a couple of friends that the Gables block party was equally as packed with people. That's pretty impressive. I was also in South Miami earlier in the day, and there was a nice contingent of people there also. Miami is diluted cause of it's sprawl. Imagine if all the suburbs were more condensed into Downtown. It would be crazy.

And Downtown is getting better. I really can't wait for something to be done across the arena (Miami World Center please) . That and Genting's plan will take Downtown to an entire other level.

#32 ·
Having lived in other cities like DC and NY I can say that Miami is obviously far behind. But the things that make those places great are density, buildings, mass transit, etc. These are all things that can eventually be replicated here.

Miami is however different. You can't replicate the tropical climate and having one of the worlds best beaches a causeway ride away. So I feel that while Miami catches up it will be able to offer something much more than what you can get in older mature cities in the north.

You see it happening in Brickell. Now that there is a foundation of residential units and office space the area has exploded. And lets be honest there really isn't much in Brickell right now. It's basically has grocery stores, restaurants and bars for people to eat and drink. And even though there is basically zero retail, or entertainment venues that don't include drinking its flourishing. So think what's going to happen once real retail, movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc. come.

Miami has reached a tipping point. The next 10 years downtown will flourish much faster than the last 10 years. And considering the boom we just wen't through that is saying a lot.

The old thought process was that you worked 80 hrs in the northeast until you were in our mid 40's so you could take a vacation once a year down here and maybe afford a second home. Now people are realizing that Miami has a real legitimate core so why not spend those years working hard in a place where you can vacation pretty much every weekend.

Then when you look at pricing on a global scale it just makes sense. Where else can you find a densely populated place like Brickell with a tropical climate, minutes away from a world renowned beach with the vibrancy of South Beach for $400/SF?

#48 ·
If you happen to live downtown there are lots of things to walk to this weekend especially if you love music.
Ultra Music Festival, billed as the World's Largest Outdoor dance party. Swedish House Mafiia is doing their Masquarade Motel to that new Grand Central Park if you are into something more intimate.

The Cleveland Orchestra is performing at the Knight Concert Hall, Beethoven's Pastoral for one performance and Musica Fantasica for another. The later has musicans and dancers classically trained in the best conservatories of Cuba.

The Ziff has that Broadway musical tribute to Sinatra "Come Fly With Me".

One of the biggest tennis tournaments in the world, the The Sony Ericsson is a shuttle ride from Brickell.

I can see them setting up the Taste of Brickell Food & Wine Festival (next to Crazy About You but you can call me Love You Madly).

Marionetas de la Esquina, the world famous Mexican Puppet show, will be in the Carnival Black Box Theater.

Calvalia's "Odysseo", billed as "The World's Largest Touring Bigtop" will be performed Bicentennial Park. The Montreal group brings over 50 artists and 71 horses to a performance tent larger than an NFL football field.

The Gusman Theater will have the New World Center of the Arts Rising Stars performances.

There will be dozens of bars open for the NCAA basketball games; the newest addition is Hoops at 900 Biscayne Boulevard which features 184 Plasma TVs and 42 beers on tap.

#49 ·
Well as a local who lives in the suburbs, and now Tallahassee (which I would like to point out is going somewhat of similar urban renaissance tho obv on a much smaller scale) I was happy when I went down to Brickell and Midtown on my recent Spring and Winter Breaks. Midtown is great for ArtWalk and having been doing that for a few years I can see a vast improvement. Its very crowded, and with the addition of some bars theres not that "I have to abandon ship here after 11" feeling I normally get. Im a grad student and I noticed a similar age group there which was nice. Midtown to me is an area to me with great potential to draw that 22-34 crowd needed to sustain a vibrant downtown and middle class moreso than Brickell because its expensive. Ultimately that young age group is kind of what makes the core of a city vibrant.

I was at Brickell too during Winter. Went there a few times and I had a good time. We pretty much went from Tobacco Road to Mary Brickell or to some of the nice bars in the CBD. My thoughts on brickell are that its very good on some nights, yet dead on others. Its a vast improvement for where it was before tho. Im expecting Brickell CitiCentre to take it to a whole new level.

And to answer a previous question, if people were tired of Miami and Miami Beach and wanted to try something else, Id prob recommend Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale or the little area there by America's Backyard. The surrounding suburbs (hollywood, pines, davie, kendall, doral) have decent nightlife too in certain spots.

And the reason why Miami could be poised for a major takeoff is not because its architecture or beaches are one of a kind or its got this dynamic culture. Its because its the only location of its type in the richest, most powerful country on the planet. Im sure the beaches in Brazil are very nice, and Fortaleza, Rio, BH, and Sao Paolo are great towns that have nightlife and condos. But at the end of the day they are in Brazil. Miami is in the United States. Despite overheatted political rhetoric, we are still seen as the best bet in terms of making a good investment in the world.

#50 ·
I agree with your last statement Miami is in the united states ,if there is an argument pertaining to miami's image as negative then you have to take the good with the bad nothing is perfect. Brazil is a wonderful country beautiful Latin women, nice beaches and a unique culture but do you know how dangerous and ruthless brazil is ? By the way the same points I made about brazil Miami already has and it's not in some rural country . I don't know what Miami you have visited or live in but next to newyork it's the most diverse .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.