SkyscraperCity Forum banner

EUGENE | Matthew Knight Arena | Com

10K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Tupac96 
#1 ·
"The Matthew Knight Arena is a description of a planned 12,541 seat multi-purpose arena in Eugene, Oregon. The new arena will be the home of the University of Oregon Ducks basketball teams and will replace McArthur Court. It is scheduled to be built on the east side of campus at the corner of Franklin Blvd. and Villard St. The prominent location on the corner of campus means that the building will act as a gateway to campus as people arrive from I-5. If all goes according to plan, the arena will be complete for the 2010-2011 basketball season.

The new arena is named for chief donor Phil Knight's son, who died at the age of 34 in a scuba diving accident. The arena is projected to cost $200 million[2] and is being designed as collaboration between TVA Architects of Portland, Oregon and Ellerbe Becket of Kansas City, Missouri.

It was announced that the court itself will be named Kilkenny Court after Athletic Director Pat Kilkenny.

The projected construction cost of $200 million will make it the most expensive on campus basketball arena in the United States, and financing has been secured through state-backed 30-year bonds."

I live about 15 minutes away and will be supplying construction pictures when possible.

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm glad to see a thread on this. You would think a college arena that costs this much would be talked about a bit more. You would also think there would be some renderings of the interior of the arena. I took this not so good pic of the model displayed in the athletic office.

I also think this thread should be moved to Stadiums and Sports Arenas. The people over there would have more interest.

#10 ·
Thanks for the pictures. Now I know where it is located. I stayed at the Bean Hall for a year when I was attending U of O architecture school. Along the highway, it looks very little has changed as there were motels then. Across the river, the building with a letter O, is it the Autzum football stadium? I remembered it as being further away.
Do you know that U of O architecture school is ranked #7 in the US? Its practice and theory is ranked #1.
What are they going to do with the old McArthur Court?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.