SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Wieliczka Salt Mine (Poland)

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Arpels 
#1 ·

"The historic Salt Mine in Wieliczka is the only site in the world where mining has continued since the Middle Ages. Lying on nine levels, its original excavations (longitudinals, traverses, chambers, lakes, as well as lesser and major shafts) stretch for the total of 300 kilometres: reaching the depth of 327 metres they illustrate all the stages of the development of the mining technology over time."

The quotation comes from an the justification of entering the Wieliczka Salt Mine into UNESCO's 1st World List of Cultural and Natural Heritage on 8th September, 1978 together with 11 other sites from all over the world.

http://www.kopalnia-wieliczka.pl/

See less See more
#5 ·
Yes but they will throw you out if you try to lick them.

BTW there is another fantastic and equally old underground mine complex in Bochnia, also near Krakow.
that is true, you also are not allowed to touch the sculptures, in one room st Jospeh's leg was so warn down over the decades of people touch it, they use it now as an example of why they dont' allow touching.

However, they encourage you to lick the walls in the passage ways. I have a picture of me licking the salt off the walls in one of the passage ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.