SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#20,021 ·
Does anybody know what is happening to the corner floor plating on the 54th floor, because I was checking the discovery cam and I see that they are putting the vertical beams of 55 and 56 floors, but they usually finish the previous floor plating then put the scafolding then raise the cranes, then do what they are doing. How come they are doing it differently this time? Thank you

#20,022 ·
I have no problems with spires, if used correctly. Empire State and Chrysler are two perfect examples of this. I think the spire on 1WTC looks good also, althought it doesn't compliment the skyscraper as much as the aforementioned. At least it looks like it wasn't a last minute after-thought like the New York Times tower.

#20,026 · (Edited)
^^ NY has a tradition with spires. if you look closely, you will notice that almost every significant skyscraper has a spire (ESB, chrysler, BofA, AIG, trump tower, NYTT, conde nast, ...). no wonder some people call NY the "city of spires". :D

as far as i'm concerned, the spire on 1WTC looks totally fine (see STR's new renderings). and of course, 2 and 3WTC will join "the spire show". :)
Agreed, they all have them but most do not look as thought the architect had a 5PM deadline and received a phone call at 4:45 telling him that he needed to add a spire. ESB and Chrysler have spires that add to the beauty of the building to the point where the buildings would look silly without them. All this one adds is height and a radio/TV signal. It's just my opinion but I think it's a shame to add what I'd call a giant hypodermic needle to the top of such a beautiful design.

#20,028 · (Edited)
I don't think the architect brought the top of the tower to its logical conclusion with that design for a spire either. Something equally high but more pyramidal in nature may have worked.

And personally, I think the spire and transmission rings look like a giant, hand-rolled, marijuana joint stubbed out in an ashtray.

:)

#20,032 ·
Does anybody know what is happening to the corner floor plating on the 54th floor, because I was checking the discovery cam and I see that they are putting the vertical beams of 55 and 56 floors, but they usually finish the previous floor plating then put the scafolding then raise the cranes, then do what they are doing. How come they are doing it differently this time? Thank you
My guess is there trying to make up for lost days due to bad weather.

#20,036 ·
Tower One Steel Beams Reach Three Stories Tall

Here's an interesting article from Discover Channel's Ground Zero -- Behind the Fence:

This week we filmed the installation of four massive steel columns on the 54th floor of Tower 1. They are three stories tall and weigh 23 tons — each one the equivalent of about 15 Toyota Corollas. Impressive as this may sound, they are only setting the table for the gargantuan 35-ton transitional nodes that will sit on top of them. Those nodes arrive in a couple of weeks. Together, these extraordinary pieces of steel absorb the heavy load from the 50-some stories that will rise above them, and redistribute those loads down the exterior of the building as dictated by the building's unique tapered design.

You can read the rest of the article here:

http://blogs.discovery.com/rebuildi...el-beams-three-stories-tall-in-tower-one.html

#20,039 · (Edited)
Here's an interesting article from Discover Channel's Ground Zero -- Behind the Fence:

This week we filmed the installation of four massive steel columns on the 54th floor of Tower 1. They are three stories tall and weigh 23 tons — each one the equivalent of about 15 Toyota Corollas. Impressive as this may sound, they are only setting the table for the gargantuan 35-ton transitional nodes that will sit on top of them. Those nodes arrive in a couple of weeks. Together, these extraordinary pieces of steel absorb the heavy load from the 50-some stories that will rise above them, and redistribute those loads down the exterior of the building as dictated by the building's unique tapered design.

You can read the rest of the article here:

http://blogs.discovery.com/rebuildi...el-beams-three-stories-tall-in-tower-one.html
If you look back at page 953, post #19046 you herd it here first folks.

Tiny compaired to the 20th floor nodes but cool none the less. There well also be nodes at about the 84th floor too.