SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Far Gosford Street | Development | U/C

Tags
coventry
164K views 1K replies 43 participants last post by  Fernando Partridge 
#1 · (Edited)
Here you go, Stig!

This thread was created for stig1982 who promises to put some stuff here soon...

#421 ·
And there is more good news for Far Gosford Street...

A planning application has been submitted for redevelopment of the Industrial Estate, to make it into a creative village / market.

Plans include the following:-

- refurbishment and reuse of the industrial buildings
- new improved entrance on Grafton Street with modern design/make units fronting the street
- narrowing of the entrance to the Industrial Estate off Far Gosford Street to recreate the street pattern and build the area up a bit more. Designs include replica style 'top shop' buildings with modern shop fronts
- construction of a series of small workshop units

Brilliant!

#429 ·
Could have done with larger windows- the interior must be pretty dark.
The blueprints for the building, from memory, show it as largely open plan with open roof space at upper level. There are roof windows so I imagine the upper floor will actually be quite light and airy. And I would say there are certainly enough windows at ground level to allow plenty of light in to the space.

I certainly would't mind working there!

#435 ·
Needs to be a cool place for students to hang out for meeting up. I was impressed with how Narborough Road has turned out in Leicester - used to be a nasty place to hang out but a few decent bars and some alternative type fast food places (one caters for veggies only), and effort spent to tidy up the street and its buildings, its actually become the more desirable part of the city. De Monfort Uni is only a ten minute walk away over the river.

FGS has the potential to become a busy Selly Oak to breathe new life into the place. It has potential..

#438 ·
FGS used to be a very popular street when I was a student in the 1990s. It had some great second hand stores, and a record store, plus about 5 pubs. Going back further, it had a music venue. There is also the music shops at the top where I used to get my guitar stuff from! I don't know what's there now, but when I lived in Stoke it had become a very unpleasant street with virtually all the pubs and old shops gone, and fast food joints rife, and gangs of "chavs" hanging around outside the off-license there... We used to walk down Skyblue Way in the evenings to avoid it. The Beer Engine used to be a rockers pub, I can remember the bikes lined up outside it, the Hand and Heart was a friendly Irish local with a student friendly smoking room, and the Hertford Arms was an Irish pub.. Can't recall if I ever went into the Gosford Arms.

I think the street started a slow decline when it was bypassed by Skyblue Way in the late 1980s. The local area is not the sort of place where new age shops and "smart" bars will survive when the students have gone. CDP are on the right track with their plans to bring in businesses and also improve the way it all links with Skyblue Way.

Scholars opened up while I was a student.

There's a decent old school building round the corner which could be used for something as well.

#447 ·
Hopefully the hotel won't end up in Coventrys development purgatory! The planning app also includes student accomadation! Next year, when we find out what impact the 9k fee's have had on uni applications, we will discover whether all these student-led developments are about to come crashing down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.