SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NOTTINGHAM | Waterfront Plaza | Nearly Complete

5K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  pharmj 
#1 · (Edited)
More or less complete. Heres the images I have...

See less See more
#4 ·
Waterfront Plaza is practically complete now...they just need to sort out them bars...

I drove past it today and took a few pics...they've been doing a little landscaping... laid some stairs, and put up the sign... They've been working on the inside of the offices for quite a while so I guess we'll see this lawfirm move in soon.

#9 ·
Two businesses have moved into waterfront plaza from what I could tell today...

Shooesmiths and some lazer eye treatment clinic on the ground floor (below)

I think someone wanted to see the courtyards a while back.. here they are...

Some interesting views of what the bars are supposed to look like...

Heres what the bars actually look like... Still Raw :( why are they taking so long with these??

I didn't realise you could walk the whole canal like I was talking about the other day. You can already walk all the way from the waterfront bars to the eastside... heres southreef from here... adn the maid marion way cluster.

They need to do something with this lovely old warehouse and get rid of the thing next door (something to do with the incinerator)...

Lovely last shot of the castle...

#10 ·
Nice shots Dan. I didn't realise bare concrete was exposed in the 6th pic. It's starting to look abit dirty already, also there are a few dirt marks from the rain which is abit of a worry.
Overall though it looks really nice and I like how they've made the canal a big feature of the development allowing easy access to the waters edge.
I wonder how long it will take before the wood on the development has faded. 6 months?

#11 ·
Nice shots Dan. I didn't realise bare concrete was exposed in the 6th pic. It's starting to look abit dirty already, also there are a few dirt marks from the rain which is abit of a worry.
I don't think you need to worry. It looks to me like that concrete is at the top of an open ground floor retail/bar unit. Once the unit's been fitted out, you won't be able to see the concrete.

#12 ·
yeah thats what I was trying to show with the images... The retail units are in the 5th, 6th and last pictures. The apartments and jurys in have been ready for ages... surely over a year now? I've saw plenty people move in and out of this... so I can't understand why its taking so long to let out those retail units at the bottom. There are bars further west on the canal, there will be bars just over the canal (in southreef), in a few years there will further east on the canal (eastside). It looks like no one wants to give these units a try?

Re The Wood: its the best i've seen so far. This development has been completed much longer than the market square (which has already begun to fade, though binge thinks this is good lol), and just as long as the ice house which is in much worse condition.

#13 ·
Re The Wood: its the best i've seen so far. This development has been completed much longer than the market square (which has already begun to fade, though binge thinks this is good lol), and just as long as the ice house which is in much worse condition.
It's not that I think it's good necessarily - the oiled brown timber looks terrific. Just that the architects know that over time it will fade to a silvery grey, which then doesn't need oiling, painting or whatever. It is in the intermediate stage, when the timber is losing it's oiled colour that it looks a bit dodgy.

#14 ·
Regarding the restaurants and bars in the bottom of Waterfront Plaza - if you were looking to open a restaurant in Nottingham where would you put it? There have been a large number of units to put one in - from the Cornerhouse to Trinity Square to the top of Angel Row, under the Ice House, Lace Market Square, the Axis, Fletchergate etc etc etc. I am not sure, with that choice, that Waterfront Plaza - especially before the site has been finished - is where I would locate. It's very much off the beaten track.

#21 ·
personally i LOVE the Jurys Inn, you can see it from almost anywhere on that side of the city...especially when driving down london road at night and itsl lit up blue on top, it really works well. We need some buildings that height and taller around the railway lines, to give a real 'big city' feel to it when you pull in.

i dont think we should worry about the bars and retail, those will hang on until Southreef is done anyway..who wants to eat by a building site?!

#22 ·
I completely agree. Jury's Inn is a brilliant building to say it's a budget hotel. Compared to the rest of them around the country I personally think this is the best one.
You can see the blue lights from miles around even from Compton Acres driving down the hill.
The thing I like about it is the southern side looks so much taller than it actually is.

#23 ·
lol.. I totally agree pharmj. Its amazing at night..

I love the whole development. A typical mixed used scheme but works well. The offices work fine alongside Capital One and the hotel really give of that tower feel with the fins. Its got everything it needs. I think the residential units will really give people a reason use the space much more than they do know. Sitting along the canal at night and then being able to take a walk to Eastside/Old Waterways Building will be excellent. If they do something decent across the canal then we have more prospects there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.