SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Anfield Redevelopment | Liverpool | 54,074 - 61,000 | U/C

1M views 3K replies 273 participants last post by  Portobello Red 
#1 ·
i've heard 60,000 and 61,000. can anyone confirm either way?

anyway, there's been (at last) a positive development with this project. thanks to Paul D of the uk scouse forum for posting the news:

New Anfield is back on track after £10m grant

See less See more
#28 ·
If my memory serves me right, that site will mean a huge improvement in road access and presumably it'll be a lot more comfortable for the fans. But that's a mighty bland design. Highbury was no big loss imo as it was always a bit dull, but replacing Anfield with this?

Does anyone know if the club considered a higher capacity? I'm sure Liverpool could regularly fill a 75,000 stadium. 60,000 seems a bit short term.

#32 · (Edited)
Liverpool is allegedly the fastest growing UK economy outside of London. This implies that there is a lot of ground in Liverpool prime for development. With this in mind, and these favourable conditions, surely another site is possible, even a move out of Liverpool to the Wirral, Knowsley etc.

Don't get me wrong, I've always had a soft spot for Liverpool, but I think huge public parks should remain just that - public. Once the final corner infill has been completed at Bramall Lane, it'll be hard to increase capacity further, but you'd never find me supporting a move to Sheffield Park/Endcliffe Park, and the city council wouldn't allow it. If Wednesday wanted a move, nobody in their right minds would suggest Hillsborough Park. Sheffield is very proud of it's title of "England's greenest city". It's just a shame that other cities are willing to slap massive developments on green sites. Sheffield has plenty of brownfield sites after the decline of steel industry in the 1980's, I'm sure Liverpool is similary 'blessed'.

omaro said:
What other alternative do you suggest?
You are looking at it from a Liverpool FC perspective. I'm looking at it from a people of Liverpool/Liverpool City Council perspective.

#33 ·
Liverpool 'nearing takeover deal'

Liverpool are reportedly close to accepting a £450m deal which will allow a Dubai-based consortium to take control of the Anfield club.
The Dubai International Capital group will be allowed to begin the due diligence process this week, according to reports in Monday's newspapers.

American billionaire George Gillett and property tycoon John Miskelly are also thought to be interested in a takeover.

The proposed deal will include £200m to build a new 60,000-capacity stadium.

The due diligence process gives DIC - a subsidiary of the government-owned Dubai Holdings - exclusive rights to study the accounts of Liverpool with a view to finalising a deal.

606 DEBATE: Your views on Liverpool's future
The details of the deal are not known, and it is unclear whether it would be a full-scale takeover by DIC, or whether they would take over from chairman David Moores as majority shareholders.

But the news will concern those worried about the number of Premiership clubs currently in the hands of foreign owners.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Portsmouth and Aston Villa have all gone through high-profile takeovers by foreign owners in recent years.

DIC is run by chief executive Sameer Al Ansari and owns the Madame Tussauds Group and the Travelodge hotel chain as well as one third of the London Eye.

The company is an investment arm of Dubai Holding, which is owned by Dubai Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

The Al Maktoum family are internationally renowned for their running of the Godophin horse racing stables.

Liverpool have been linked with other takeover bids in recent years.

In 2005, American billionaire Robert Kraft - owner of the New England Patriots NFL team - was linked with a bid for the club.

And in 2004 Thaksin Shinawatra, then Prime Minister of Thailand, made a high-profile bid to take control of the club.

#34 ·
Dubai will buy Reds

LIVERPOOL Football Club is set to be taken over by the investment arm of the Dubai government, the ECHO can confirm.

Control will transfer into the hands of the world's fifth-richest man, whose personal fortune dwarfs that of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.:shocked:

Barring a last minute hitch the stunning deal worth around £400m will go ahead in the next few weeks, taking Britain's most successful football club into a hugely exciting new era.

The takeover, which should ultimately delight supporters, represents a remarkable coup for the club and for Chairman David Moores and Chief Executive Rick Parry.

Both have worked tirelessly to ensure the Reds receive the huge injection of cash they need, from the right partner who understands Anfield's history and traditions.

The deal will fund the building of the Reds' new 60,000 seater, £200m stadium in Stanley Park, clear the club's £80m debt and bring significant funds to develop Liverpool on and off the pitch, enabling them to continue to compete for the world's top stars.

Dubai International Capital is today embarking on a process of due diligence at Anfield examining details of the club's financial affairs before they sign the agreement.

Provided that proceeds without a problem, the takeover could be concluded either at the end of this month or in the New Year.

The club is unlikely to make any statement until it feels the time is right.

However, the Reds' battle for investment is now all but over following talks with DIC - a company which owns Tussauds and the London eye and which is linked to Dubai's ruling Maktoum family.

The Maktoums are one of the world's richest, owning the Godolphin Racing stables as well as governing one of the most rapidly developing, oil-rich countries in the modern world.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum is Prime Minister and Vice President of the United Arab Emirates, as well as the Ruler of Dubai.

With an estimated personal wealth of $10bn, there are only four men on the planet with more cash than him.

#39 ·
Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum

Dubai is a place where the act of moving around sand dunes always involves billions of dollars. You might recognize the sail-shaped $1 billion Burj Al Arab superluxury hotel jutting into the Persian Gulf. Perhaps you haven't heard of the $3 billion construction of two islands in the shape of palm trees. Or the 480,000-square-foot hole for a new $4.1 billion airport terminal. That's in front of the site for Dubailand, an improbable $5 billion Disneyesque project comprising indoor snow skiing, an animal safari and amusement rides--but not a single mosque.

The guy driving all this construction is a bit of an oddity himself. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, 54, who rules this tiny city-state (roughly the size of Rhode Island), is Dubai's de facto Muslim leader, but he has a distinctly capitalist tilt. Thanks to his restless enterprise, Dubai's nominal GDP has exploded from $8 billion to $20 billion in the last decade. That wealth does not derive from oil, which represents only 8.5% of output; nearly two-thirds comes from trade, tourism, real estate, construction and financial services.

Dubai is a place of intriguing contrasts. Fewer than 15% of its 1 million residents are nationals; most of its immigrants hail from Pakistan, India, Iran, Egypt and other Arab nations. Women in black burkas revealing only their eyes stroll on Sheikh Zayed Road past a line of sequined halter tops waiting to get into the smoky Zinc nightclub, where booze is served. While muezzins call the faithful to prayer, you can hear bells ringing at the Catholic church. Tourists with Israeli stamps in their passports breeze through customs. "We want to be the one place in the world which offers the best option for everything--business opportunities, world-class sporting and entertainment events," says Mohammed.

It's not quite the business mecca it pretends to be, not yet, anyway. Technically, foreigners can't own land in Dubai--or anywhere in the United Arab Emirates, a federation of seven sheikhdoms on the Arabian peninsula. But the tax-free advantages to trading companies are an irresistible draw for more than 1,500 companies from 80 nations. A fledgling stock exchange lists 16 companies (market cap: $15.4 billion, versus $14.7 trillion for the NYSE) that trade for two hours a day. The economy remains opaque because there's little distinction between government fisc and private treasure of the sheikh and his three brothers, estimated at $10 billion.

The sources of that wealth are a little fuzzy. Mohammed gets $2 billion a year in income from assets accumulated by his father, Sheikh Rashid. Then there's an estimated $2.5 billion a year, a subsidy from the UAE to the ambitious autocrat and his family. In addition, Mohammed controls luxury hotels, banks and at least six beachfront palaces, not to mention a stable of 1,200 Arabian racehorses. (Dubai's Nad al Sheba Racecourse hosts the Dubai World Cup series, the richest equine event in the world, with purses totaling $16 million.)

Think of Dubai as a corporation and Mohammed its chief executive--without a board of directors getting in his way. He can increase the value of land simply by building, say, a marble-clad hotel on a portion of it. The airline he launched delivers tourists who stay at his hotels and buy goods sent through his ports. To keep things humming, he funnels cash to his friends in the form of highway and hospital contracts. "Under Sheikh Mohammed," says Khalaf Al Habtoor, a billionaire construction magnate whose firm helped build hotels, hospitals and airport facilities, "anything is possible."

Anything except failure. In 2000 the sheikh's friends Abdullah and Majid Al Futtaim couldn't agree on who should run their $1 billion-plus auto-trading and real estate business, which includes exclusive selling rights for Toyota, Jeep, Volvo and Chrysler, as well as a 1-million-square-foot shopping mall. Squabbling might have driven both ventures into the ground. Mohammed ordered each sib to bid on the assets, highest number takes all. "His Highness never wants to see anyone go bankrupt in Dubai," says a banker who represents the superrich there.

#41 ·
I think the stadium should be completely scrapped and redesigned. It shouldnt be built on stanley park, it should be built nerarer to the city centre, with a transport hub nearby. And instead of being what it looks like now, it should be a truly modern iconic design. If its going to be our home for the next 100 years then we want something decent!

There are lots of new stadiums we could take design cues from, i just think the plans at the moment are rather ordinary

#42 ·
New stadium plans are exhibited

Plans for Liverpool Football Club's new stadium and the regeneration of Stanley Park have gone on show in Merseyside.
Liverpool FC's new owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks agreed to make funds available to build the new stadium as part of the purchasing deal.

Residents in the area are now being asked for their views on the proposals for the park.

The plans will be exhibited at the Vernon Sangster Sports Centre on Monday and Tuesday.

The Stanley Park work is part of a £215m project for New Anfield and Breckfield which is expected to bring new community facilities, jobs, homes and business to the area.

The wider regeneration project will be one of the largest urban park restoration schemes in the UK.

It will involve the repair and restoration of the park's structures including bridges, walls, pavilions and the park lodge.

The new 60,000-seater stadium includes a Community Partnership Centre, a replacement for the Vernon Sangster Sports Centre.

It is due to open at the start of the 2009/10 Premiership season.

#48 ·
liverpool have got 25,000 season ticket holders and 56,000 on waiting list and they are basically spending 200 million quid for an extra 15,000 seats to take it from 45,000 to 60k seater, this new stadium should be 80k or more seater, wont be long before manu have a 90k seater and no one will compete with them once it happens.

#49 ·
I agree 100% They should be increasing capacity before work starts. Or at the very least make it so it can be expanded.

I've heard it won't be possible to expand with this design! Which seems bloody ludicrous.

#54 ·
I cant quite believe that they are only going for a 60000 seater stadium. All this effort and time going into the new ground and its not going to be that much bigger than anfield. They now have the money with the new owners so they should just forget about 60000 and start thinking much bigger.

#56 ·
According to www.newanfield.co.uk , expansion is possible!

The stadium capacity is just over 60,000 as that is what is in the planning application, although the ground can be extended in the future it will have to get new planning permission to extend in the future.
:banana:

The "New Kop"
There will be a "kop" like stand and it will be the biggest of the four stands which are each individual as the ground has a bowl shape feel to it as they have enclosed the front of the corners but not all the way up.The stand will have 22,000 seats compared with the 12,000 now.
Timeline:

* 26th February 2007 Ground tests underway

* 16th March 2007 - Vernon Sangster centre demolished

* April 2007 - Work starts on new stadium

* June 2009 - Work on new stadium finished and handed over to club

* August 2009 - First match at new stadium

* December 2009 - Existing Anfield stadium demolished

* May 2010 - Building of New Anfield Plaza on site of old ground

Here's the link: http://www.newanfield.co.uk/publicplans.html

#58 · (Edited)
Liverpool are one of the biggest teams anywhere on the Planet,I sometimes think Man U fans don't understand that.Wherever I go in the World and mention where I'm from it's always Liverpool F C or the Beatles that people will start to talk about.Liverpool will fill a 60k no problem,you don't have all that success in Europe and not pick up a massive support along the way.

liverpool have got 25,000 season ticket holders and 56,000 on waiting list
I've heard that somewhere before but there's no way they'll sell that many season tickets because you need different people coming to the ground to assure you have future generations of fans.

#59 ·
Liverpool are one of the biggest teams anywhere on the Planet,I sometimes think Man U fans don't understand that.Wherever I go in the World and mention where I'm from it's always Liverpool F C or the Beatles that people will start to talk about.Liverpool will fill a 60k no problem,you don't have all that success in Europe and not pick up a massive support along the way.

I've heard that somewhere before but there's no way they'll sell that many season tickets because you need different people coming to the ground to assure you have future generations of fans.
The fact is since expanding the ground to over 45,000. They haven't been selling out Premier League games. The best season was 1999-2000 with an average of 45,852 but since then they they have been between about 42,000-43,000. Last season was better at 44,236. If your getting an average of 43,000 over 6-7 season it sort of tells you they won't fill a 60,000 seater every week like United have been doing. That's about 50-60,000 tickets a season in the league that go unsold.

#61 ·
Every game sells out at Anfield and has done (with a handful of exceptions) for years, the attendance figures show the attendance - clciks through the turnstiles at Anfield. Some clubs Man United and Newcastle amongst them publish tickets sold.

Market research indicated that selling 80,000 tickets per game was achievable but the club chose to rip 60,000 of us off rather than introduce a more flexible and dynamic pricing structure.

#67 ·
Every game sells out at Anfield and has done (with a handful of exceptions) for years, the attendance figures show the attendance - clciks through the turnstiles at Anfield. Some clubs Man United and Newcastle amongst them publish tickets sold.

Oh Dear more anti United Bo**cks.

The Bolton game in a few weeks is sold out.

I know because United say so.
I know because I had to sell my ticket on Viagogo (United's Official ticket re-seller) and it was the only one showing for about an hour, before it was sold.

So, based on your dumb logic. United will be declaring an attendance of say 76,200 (capacity) +1! (my ticket!)

Arf.

Talk sense.

The attendance is based on turnstile entrance.

Methinks you are getting Utd mixed up with some other fantasy.

#62 · (Edited)
Liverpool haven't really ever had huge attendances, largely limited by Anfield never being a massive stadium, so it will be a real test of their fanbase in the new stadium. Not so much in the first couple of seasons, but when the new stadium factor where's off after a while.
It was only three years ago Liverpool had 34500 for a home league game against Portsmouth, that's 10000 under capacity.

#68 ·
Some clubs have definitely been quoting tickets sold (that is why despite always being within a couple of hundred of capacity in the quoted attendance seats can often be seen at the Emirates for lesser games and hence Arsenal have now commenced an official ticket resale site).

I have no idea how Manchester United calculate this, although with a thriving ticket resale market, as shown above, already in place, both figures would be very similar. I doubt even if they are quoting exact tickets sold, they would count your resold ticket again.

I have a theory that United always release a few more tickets as the season goes on for each game as it allows more "highest ever Premiership attendance ever" headlines to be generated.

#69 ·
More than a new stadium

A – Liverpool FC’s new 61,000-seater stadium, complete with a replacement for the Vernon Sangster sports centre, higher education facility run by Liverpool Hope university, expanded museum and tour centre, conference suites, club offices and underground car park.

B - The restored Stanley park, which will feature new football pitches, tennis courts, lake and a repaired Isla Gladstone conservatory. Park bridges, walls, pavilions and the lodge will all be brought up to scratch.

C - Anfield Plaza, a new residential and commercial centre built on the site of the current ground. Created around a central walkway leading up to the new stadium, it will include shops, homes, restaurants and cafes.

D - Regenerated housing - streets of boarded-up homes around Anfield are due to be demolished and replaced with brand-new properties. Many others will be refurbished to create a 21st-century community around New Anfield.