SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Anfield Redevelopment | Liverpool | 54,074 - 61,000 | U/C

1M views 3K replies 273 participants last post by  Portobello Red 
#1 ·
i've heard 60,000 and 61,000. can anyone confirm either way?

anyway, there's been (at last) a positive development with this project. thanks to Paul D of the uk scouse forum for posting the news:

New Anfield is back on track after £10m grant

See less See more
#70 ·
I like the design, and it'll be something which will be of great benefit to the whole city. I'd have thought the capacity would be larger, but if expansion can be easily done then it shouldn't be a problem, unlike Arsenal I believe as the way the roof is designed it would cost alot of money to expand.

#71 ·
Reds owners halt work on stadium
By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer

Liverpool have put preparatory stadium work on hold
Liverpool's new owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have halted work on their proposed new stadium and ordered a review of the plans.
BBC Sport understands the pair want to examine ways of increasing the 60,000 capacity of the arena in Stanley Park near their Anfield home.

Preparatory work has started on the ground, but major external changes would need a new planning application.

Liverpool's new ground is currently expected to cost around £215m.

:) :banana: :cheers:

#73 ·
I don't see how the current site could hold more than say 65,000, given the infrastructure limitations. Any increase in capacity would mean a new planning application and obvious local objection. It's going to be a long time before for the stadium starts construction.

#74 ·
It'll be interesting to see what happens, as already mentioned, a considerable increase in initial capacity would need a new planning application, which might take a while. I don't see how residents can object because the new stadium will be in Stanley Park, whilst Anfield itself is surrounded by houses with 44,000 people flocking there every other week. There's always a few stubborn gets though isn't there.

#79 ·
I think they were mainly concerned with the fact that with the way the stadium has been designed you wont be able to increase the size in the future. Maybe they wont even increase the capicity at all in the short term, just tweak the design so that at a future date they would be more able to increase capicity. Who knows what their plans are, we'll just have to wait and see

#84 ·
Quote from The Sun....

It may be a load of shite given where it came from, but I'll post the quote anyway, from a 'spokesperson'...

"A review of the initially proposed 60,000 capacity - which may be increased - is ongoing, and tenders for the redevelopment of Stanley Park will be carried out this month. Construction is hoped to start by the end of July with a completion target of the end of 2008. A joint venture company will be set up by the end of this month to deliver the comprehensive regeneration of Stanley Park and the new community partnership centre. Tenders for the refurbishment of Stanley Park will go out in April with a contractor to be appointed and work starting by the end of July, with the work completed by the end of 2008. A review of the 60,000 capacity of the new stadium is being carried out by the club and consultations with fans are already under way."

#86 ·
From www.newanfield.co.uk :

GEORGE GILLETT and Tom Hicks told city planners they want extra time to ensure Liverpool’s new stadium eventually matches the capacity of Old Trafford. The American duo want to modify existing plans to ensure a fresh planning application won’t be required and any delay in building work takes weeks, not months or years.
Gillett and Hicks met planners when they visited Merseyside last week, when their ambition to extend the capacity from 61,000 to 76,000 - the same as at Manchester United - was underlined.
They’re now working as quickly as possible to make the revision in a way that works for the city planners.
One possibility is proceeding with the plan to build a 61,000 capacity, but with a provision to extend at a later date.
More details on their proposals are anticipated when the duo return to Liverpool on March 31.

In the meantime, building of the new Anfield Stadium has been temporarily suspended.

“They are conducting a very swift review of what is possible,” explained Reds chief executive Rick Parry. “Yes work has been halted very temporarily, but their commitment to the new stadium is total. There’s no question of that. “But if there is going to be a review of what might be possible, now is the time. “If there are going to be any changes, however, it will be a case of scaling up, not downscaling. “They are experts in this field and I’m constantly hearing phrases like ‘best in the world’. “They just want to understand exactly what the options are for the future. If there are ways of constructing the stadium which would allow for future expansion, they want to investigate it. “It makes perfect common sense. “They don’t want to steam ahead into something which might prevent expansion in the future.
Construction deadlines won’t change, however.
Any changes will be discussed in the next few weeks and actual building-work will commence on the planned date.”

:banana:

#94 ·
i'm really not sure a single tier of this size is a good idea.The back rows are going to be an awfully long way from the pitch.I know you can't compare Loftus Rd to Anfield(old or new)but our home end is split into an upper and lower tier,the top slightly overhangs the lower.This way,everybody is seated right on top of the pitch..even the back row of the upper tier feels like its close to the pitch.Obviously the new Kop will be much bigger,but the atmosphmere at QPR is aided by the fans being close to the action

#98 ·
Lets hope its not symetrical and just the Kop is single tiered so we do have a different looking stadium rather than the Emirates with a Liverpool badge on it.
I reckon it will hold about 65k

#99 ·
Reading between the lines we're looking at a horseshoe design with a 'Kop' at one end. Hicks wants Anfield to be symbolic of a theatre with the Kop being the stage.

I'd expect a small increase in capacity initially probably up to 65,000 but possibly as high as 70,000.