SkyscraperCity Forum banner

TOKYO | Tokyo Sky Tree | 634m | 2080ft | Com

2M views 7K replies 1K participants last post by  Oasis-Bangkok 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Tokyo Sky Tree will appear in the Narihirabashi/Oshiage area of Sumida Ward, Tokyo in 2011. Boasting a height of about 610m, the tower will be one of the world's tallest.

Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting and the Role of the New Tower

In July 2011, the current analog broadcasting will end and a complete transition made to digital broadcasting.
Five commercial stations and NHK took this as a turning point to advance preparations towards digital broadcasting from a TV tower with a height of around 600m and decided on the Sumida/Taito area as the site for construction of the tower. In addition, for "one-segment broadcasting (one-seg)," a digital broadcasting service for mobile devices that was launched in April 2006, it is ideal to have transmissions from a height that is not very vulnerable to the forest of super high-rise buildings that stand at heights of around 200m in downtown Tokyo. Expectations are also on the tower to serve the role of a tower equipped with disaster prevention features.

Birth of a Town with a Tower

At the foot of the new tower will be a "town with a tower" spans about 400m from east to west, connecting Oshiage Station and Narihirabashi Station, and encompassing an area of about 3.69ha. A networking plaza leading from Oshiage Station to the tower lobby on level four of the facility, three plazas in front of the station and along Kitajukken River, and Shinsui Park will form a community environment where visitors and nearby residents will gather.

Located about 1km east of Asakusa - a town filled with the atmosphere of a shitamachi (the traditional name for the area of Tokyo that extends from Taito, Chiyoda and Chuo Wards east of the Sumida River where many merchants, craftsmen, etc. reside) - and about 2km northeast of Ryogoku - a town famous for sumo wrestling. The new tower stands in a major traditional international tourism zone of Japan.

Development Schedule

Fiscal 2006: Basic design
Fiscal 2007~8: Execution design
July 2008: Start of construction
December 2011: (Scheduled) Construction completion
Spring 2012: (Scheduled) Grand opening

Official Website:
http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/english/

See less See more
#2,458 ·
This is flying up at an amazing pace, and the super-structure looks fantastic close up. Any shots of how this is looking in regards to the wider skyline and context?

#2,463 ·
^^ Just look back a couple of pages and you will find all kind of pictures.
:doh: My fault for being lazy! Cheers! Some wonderful shots :)

#2,469 · (Edited)
11/12 Blog Round-up #1
Don't you just love Tokyo Sky Tree!

(I've had to register anew, it's been long since I've posted here)

I spotted some recent context photo requests for TST, don't tell me you haven't seen this webcam where you can track the building progress live.

I've been checking this one almost on a daily basis ever since my return from Tokyo last April. It's awesome because you can literally see TST grow. I might've developed a little crush here, so be warned as you all are likely to do so as well :)

Counting from below, choose the second of the six available camera angles, or if you read Japanese, it's the Azuma bridge angle. (To the right of TST you're seeing the Asahi buildings by Nikken Sekkei and Starck.)

Here's the link: http://www.nabit-ch.jp/street/live/asakusa/

#2,468 ·
^^ I don't think so, not yet at least. That section without the netting were hidden behind the scaffolding that were surrounding the bottom of the tower which recently got removed.

But yeah it give a pretty good teaser on how awesome this tower will look when it's done.

#2,471 ·
Dayum, I was there in October (last weekend) and it seems to have grown another 25ms at least :eek: Or maybe they've just taken more of the 'wrap' off from the top, maybe. Siiigh, I really miss Tokyo :(

I'd post my pics of the tower but I guess they're a bit dated now. Plus I don't think any of them are really good. It's definitly quite hard to photograph up close, but we didn't really venture very far, just walked around the site. Maybe next time I'll give myself more time to explore and find some good shots. Should be taller by then too, heh :p

#2,472 ·
Kudos to Momo1435 for this incredible updates....This is truly a thread that makes my day!! :happy:

You have to give credit to the Japanese: All those netting, scaffolding, protecting equipment, such precision and yet unprecedented speed! Ok it's a tower without floors, but they sure haven't lost their edge!!

#2,475 ·
205m

11/14 Blog Round-up #2

skytree.reporting.jp/

blog.goo.ne.jp/maicogoobrg

I hadn't noticed it yet but since a few days the tower has the famous red obstruction lights on the tower and not just on the tower cranes anymore. :)

ameblo.jp/nzmst/

tokyo-skytree.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/

tokyo2ndtower.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/

jseagull08.blog79.fc2.com/

The next crane jump starts this Monday.

#2,479 ·
205m

11/15 Blog Round-up #1

kazu0715.blog34.fc2.com/

hideo-channel.blogspot.com/

momoti.com/blog2/

mixup37.blog89.fc2.com/

kimama69.exblog.jp/

cyaranbo.blog17.fc2.com/

u23.blog14.fc2.com/

core

blog.goo.ne.jp/uragyoku

yozoohpa.blog54.fc2.com/

#2,483 ·
205m +

11/16 Blog Round-up

It's always fantastic when the regular bloggers go on a helicopter tour around the Sky Tree.

tokyo-sky-tree.seesaa.net/

512colors.blog120.fc2.com/

tokyo2ndtower.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/

#2,499 ·
Hi all.

Hi Quarter.

Good one :) - and so true.
The construction method seems so much "cleaner" than the Guangzhou tower for some reason. Don't get me wrong - the GT is one of my fave projects and another project I save pics of. It's just this method of fully coating the joints before the covered platforms move up leave no chance for rust to form. Looks great and finished as they go.

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.