SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Should FL highways be renamed after companies?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 15.4%

Tampa Bay Area Surface Road Discussion

89K views 580 replies 48 participants last post by  HARTride 2012 
#1 ·
City Seeks Public Input on Ashley Corridor Improvements Projects

Check it out folks... Now somebody better go to that little gathering of the minds...

For more information contact:
Irvin Lee, Public Works Director
(813) 274-8721
Irvin.Lee@tampagov.net

City Seeks Public Input on Ashley Corridor Improvements Projects – Community Meeting To Be Held On June 26

Tampa, FL June 13, 2007 - The City of Tampa, in conjunction with HDR Inc., will hold a community meeting on Tuesday, June 26, 2007, at 6 p.m. regarding the Ashley Corridor Improvements Projects. The meeting will take place at Maestro’s Restaurant in the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, located at 1010 North WC MacInnes Place, next to the John F. Germany Public Library.

The meeting is open to all members of the public and local residents of Tampa and Hillsborough County are encouraged to participate. The community’s perspective and support are essential to make this planning effort a success. Design opportunities under development will be on display for participants to provide input.

HDR, Inc. has been hired by the City of Tampa to design improvements for Ashley Drive from I-275 to Kennedy Boulevard transforming the corridor into a major downtown gateway. Included will be pedestrian improvements to facilitate urban connections between the east side of the Central Business District to waterfront locations on the west, as well as the existing Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, the proposed Curtis Hixon Park, Tampa Museum of Art and the Children’s Museum.

Parking is free in the Poe Garage next to the library and dress is casual. The overhead walkway from the Poe Parking Garage will lead directly to the second story meeting area.

For questions, please contact Director David Vaughn, Contract Administration Department, at (813) 274-8568 or david.vaughn@tampagov.net.

See less See more
#492 ·
Sucks for my sister who lives on TV and works on SPB. But in the end it'll be a better solution. Hope they included decent bike lanes in the design. Lots of people bike over the Bayway.

#502 ·
Ybor City - 21st/22nd St Improvements

I stumbled upon this Facebook posting from the Hillsborough MPO regarding proposed improvements to the 21st St/22nd St corridors through Ybor City. These improvements will be done to enhance the corridors after the I-4/Selmon Connector opens.

An Informal Public Workshop will be held on September 6, 2012 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at the Children’s Board located at 1002 E. Palm Avenue in Ybor City to receive public comment on proposed improvements to the 21st/ 22nd Street Corridor.

The SR585 (21st/22nd St) Project from Adamo Dr (SR60) to Hillsborough Ave (SR600) is a joint effort project between the Florida Department of Transportation and the City of Tampa. The project is an “Urban Modification” project that upon the completion and opening of the I-4/ Selmon Connector Project will enhance the corridor through roadway, pedestrian, and aesthetic upgrades. The project will provide the following construction features to the corridor:

• Lane reduction (3-lanes to 2-lanes) in the YBOR City area (3rd Ave to 10th Ave)
• Bike facilities and connectivity
• Historic “period” lighting (5-globe)
• On-street parking (proposed in conjunction with the lane-reduction)
• Dual-left turn lanes from 22nd St to westbound I-4
• Storm sewer repairs and rehabilitation
• Landscape/Streetscape features, including:
o Park benches
o Waste baskets
o Trees
o Decorative crosswalks

Please plan to stop by and provide your input!
https://www.facebook.com/HillsboroughMPO

#505 ·
Dual-left turn lanes are definitely needed from 22nd St to westbound I-4. Unless I want to wait in the long line that usually there to turn left I always have to pull an asshole move and cut in at the last minute from the center lane. Reducing the lanes will help make the area more walkable, hopefully the traffic won't be too bad with the connector built.

#512 ·
They still need a larger turning radius than passenger cars, which is all I was trying to say. When the DOT redesigns the intersection of 22nd and I-4, my guess is they will make it so that any vehicle expected to use the road can turn left safely from either lane. As it is now, any truck 3 axles or larger turning left that I have ever seen has to use both lanes, because the inside radius is too tight.

#514 ·
I thought I'd bring this thread back to life since the RNC is done with.

Although I'm pleased that the city did do some much needed landscaping improvements for the Ashley "gateway" at I-275, I'm pretty appalled that nothing has been done to rehab or rebuild the overpasses over Fortune St and the Tampa St slip ramp. Not even a temporary fix, like what was done along I-275 at DM and WestShore. Absolutely NOTHING...

And the thing of this is; it is the city's responsibility to do something with those overpasses, as I had learned from FDOT some time ago.

------------------------------------------------------

With that said; does anyone know if this other project for Ashley (the one being discussed thus far in this thread) is still going to happen?

#517 ·
Correct. Those overpasses are in city jurisdiction, as I was told by FDOT some time ago. Nothing has been done to them.

I'm just wondering why the city hasn't removed a lane from each side of Ashley to allow on-street parking. Ashley is a drag strip once each light turns green. Tyler turns green, cars get going, then the next light, the next light, up to Kennedy. It isn't pleasant trying to get across. It doesn't develop a border between Curtis Hixon and the museums and everything else to the right of Ashley, but it doesn't make it appealing to try to cross when you see cars zooming down the stretch.

Honestly, I would it 2 lanes both ways, but that's just me.
:dunno:

#516 ·
I'm just wondering why the city hasn't removed a lane from each side of Ashley to allow on-street parking. Ashley is a drag strip once each light turns green. Tyler turns green, cars get going, then the next light, the next light, up to Kennedy. It isn't pleasant trying to get across. It doesn't develop a border between Curtis Hixon and the museums and everything else to the right of Ashley, but it doesn't make it appealing to try to cross when you see cars zooming down the stretch.

Honestly, I would it 2 lanes both ways, but that's just me.

#518 ·
Cass/Orange/Pierce Ridiculous Intersection

This intersection has always boggled me and pissed me off at the same time. How can such a dysfunctional intersection ever exist in that area? Aerial view, it looks like a headache. I've been in that area a couple times it's exactly a headache. One, it doesn't make driving through there easy. Second, inexperience drivers and bad drivers have no idea how to maneuver at the intersection. There was one time where I saw two drivers at the same time go the wrong way in two opposite directions.

The clear answer is a roundabout. Would make it 10000x better than what it is right now. Would make a great entrance for any visitors coming into Downtown from I-275, some fountain feature or public art. Would address an area that has a very suckish pedestrian network, if any at all. It has sidewalks that connect to nothing, and that's not even fabricating the truth. And maybe at the same time, they can cut down the amount of lanes and add more sidewalk to Pierce. Seriously, a one-way road does not need to be 4 lanes.

What can be done and what can we do to get something done about this intersection?

#519 · (Edited)
What can be done and what can we do to get something done about this intersection?
I'd love to see a turbo roundabout there, but I'm afraid that Florida drivers might not be up to that challenge. We have a hard enough time convincing people to build diverging diamond interchanges (which Dale Mabry/I-275 and SR60/I-75 need quite badly).

#520 ·
People will always struggle with roundabouts of any kind and shape (which are circular Floridians). Just like changes of interstate exits, going to have issues. Comparing to the issues that the intersection has already and what issues could arise with a roundabout, I'll take the risk.

#522 ·
or you could just drive it because it has been that way for decades and really is not a problem. There are much better/busier things to spend money on.

#523 ·
Roundabout is the best solution and would look best too. Regarding drivers here, there are already quite a few roundabouts in the area and more on the way, gotta learn sometime! Even then the drivers here overall are terrible so it would only help those of us who can drive and negotiate a roundabout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.