SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MISC | Subway/Metro/Tube Maps

2M views 2K replies 411 participants last post by  tigalion 
#1 ·
Subway/Metro/Tube Maps...who wants to post them?

Who wants to post their city's official subway maps? It'd be neat to have a collection.

#434 ·
This one, on the other hand, is:

It shows some projects underway (north south lines 52 and 58), proposed projects (metro to Schiphol) shelved projects (extension of line 50 to Centraal Station, completing the ring; metro to Diemen and IJburg; the east-west alignment of line 53) and just some fantasies (metro to Zaandam).

#437 ·
Maybe you should send an e-mail to Robert Schwandl, the webmaster of Urbanrail.net. He'd be more than willing to correct some things. I sent him my improved version of the Amsterdam metro map, and he even used it for his site! Maybe he'd be interested to use yours?

#441 ·
I've noticed people have only posted maps of either Tokyo's subway network or the consolidated map in Japanese. To get a real sense of scale, here are two I'll post.

This one is just the JR map for the Tokyo area, the biggest of the rail companies and the one that handles the most passengers.

Now this one's the shocker. This map is of all the commuter lines... including those operated by the 12 or so other private companies outside JR. This one gives you a better sense of the scale of hte system. The JR lines on this map are in black.

#442 ·
That really is huge, indeed. But then, you shouldn't forget that the whole Tokyo metropolitan area has some 35 million (!) inhabitants.
The London and Paris suburban railway networks are quite dense too, but they serve an area of 'only' 10 million inhabitants. I believe that if those metropolitan areas were the size of Tokyo's, it would be comparable in density to the railways around Tokyo.

#444 ·
Alargule said:
That really is huge, indeed. But then, you shouldn't forget that the whole Tokyo metropolitan area has some 35 million (!) inhabitants.
The London and Paris suburban railway networks are quite dense too, but they serve an area of 'only' 10 million inhabitants. I believe that if those metropolitan areas were the size of Tokyo's, it would be comparable in density to the railways around Tokyo.
Highly unlikely though, the ridership on Tokyo's lines as a percentage puts almost everywhere else to shame. 36 million passengers use the entire system everyday.

http://www.jrtr.net/jrtr23/pdf/F22_Hirooka.pdf

#445 ·
...making it one of the most congested systems in the world. Interesting article, especially since it also focuses on the development of the Tokyo Metropolitan area. I never knew Tokyo was that dense, but it explains why I always found it rather 'small' on the map, when compared to other large cities.

#450 ·
@Kenlau13:
Resize the map, please!
You are going to break many Internet connections...
:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.