SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Singapore Airlines/Scoot | General News, Update & Discussion

320K views 2K replies 111 participants last post by  hkskyline 
#241 ·
The Creation of Singapore Airlines

From a single plane to an internationally respected brand, almost 60 years of innovation and service has propelled the growth of Singapore Airlines to become one of the world's leading carriers with an advanced fleet. We began with three flights per week, and today our route network spans 90 destinations in almost 40 countries. Years ago, Singapore Airlines was the first to offer free drinks and complimentary headsets. More recently, we pioneered inflight telecommunications services and unparalleled inflight luxury. Soon, we will be the first to put the world’s largest plane into service.

From First Flight to Soaring Height

The history of Singapore Airlines dates back to 1 May 1947, when a Malayan Airways Limited Airspeed Consul took off from Singapore's Kallang Airport on the first of three scheduled flights a week to Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh and Penang.

Over the next two decades, the Airline steadily acquired more planes. There were additions of the DC-4 Skymaster, Vickers Viscount, Lockheed Super Constellation, Bristol Brittania, Comet IV, and the Fokker F27.

On 16 September 1963, the Federation of Malaysia was born and the Airline became known as Malaysian Airways Limted. In May 1966, it became Malaysia-Singapore Airlines.
Later, the new look of the Airline evolved further with its first Boeings - three B707s, then a fleet of B737s.

In 1972, Malaysia-Singapore Airlines split up to become two entities - Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airline System.

This change was used to launch a new, more modern service approach on the airline. To house a special fleet of B747s, B7272s, and DC-10s, the new Singapore Airlines also boasted a new airfreight terminal and a B747 hangar.

The Singapore Girl is Born

In 1968, the sarong kebaya uniform designed by French couturier Pierre Balmain was introduced and the internationally recognized image of the Singapore Girl debuted.

A Reputation for Inflight Firsts

The 1980s brought a number of firsts. The Singapore Airlines fleet continued to grow, in impressive and historic ways. It had the first A300 Superbus, the B747-300 Big Top, the B757 and the A310-200. We are also the first airline in the world to operate an international commercial flight across the Pacific Ocean with the 747-400 Megatop.

In the 1990s, Singapore Airlines revolutionized inflight communications and entertainment through the KrisFone - the first global sky telephone service - and KrisWorld offerings. At the same time, we sought to further improve our unparalleled fleet, placing a US$10.3-billion order for 22 B747-400s and 30 A340-300s in 1994, a US$12.7-billion order for 77 B777s in 1995, and a US$2.2-billion order for 10 A340-500s in 1998.

In 2000, the Airline placed 19 A380s on firm order and a US$4 billion order for 20 more B777-200s in 2001. The A380, the world's largest commercial plane will soon enter service with Singapore Airlines, making it another world’s first.

The Highest Service Today

Singapore Airlines today is built solidly on our history, from the designer bone china flatware to the Bulgari cologne for First Class passengers, to our advanced fleet of aircraft and motivated employees.

Today, our inflight service is of the highest order. The Singapore Airlines World Gourmet Cuisine boasts a selection of exclusive and tantalising signature dishes, specially designed by a panel of nine internationally renowned chefs, and a wine list selected by three of the world's most discerning wine consultants.
KrisWorld, Singapore Airlines' award-winning and ever-expanding inflight entertainment system, offers customers a wide range of entertainment options. Customers can choose from a variety of movies, TV programmes, music CDs and channels. There is also an extensive selection of video games and interactive applications including Berlitz Word Traveler, a fully interactive learning programme.

Singapore Airlines became a full member of the global Star Alliance in 2000 and with it came "seamless" worldwide air travel. With the extensive network of partner airlines, connecting flights, frequent flyer points, and baggage clearance are now a breeze.

Singapore Airlines’ route network reaches out to over 90 destinations in close to 40 countries.

A Future of Firsts
Singapore Airlines will make Aviation history when the Airline will become the first Airline to operate the world's largest aircraft, the Airbus A380.

The future promises to bring more firsts like these, as we at Singapore Airlines, continually strive to drive quality service through innovation.

See less See more
#252 ·
yeah i guess.. the economy class has snacks at the bar but the business class doesnt right? weird.. hrmm i think 18 hour flights wouldn't be too bad for me so i can sleep without missing free movies. and uh if it hasn't been mentioned there will be ewr-sin flights after the middle of the year i think.. yes skipping amsterdam. the perfection art thingy looks cheesy :(

#253 ·
The Long And Short Of Commercial Aviation History - SIA's A345LeaderShip Prepares For Takeoff

30 Jan 2004

On February 3 at 4.00 p.m. (Singapore time), Singapore Airlines’ (SIA) new A345LeaderShip aircraft will lift off from Singapore’s Changi International Airport on the world’s longest scheduled non-stop flight.

Travelling 7,937 nautical miles over the Pacific Ocean, the 16 hour flight carries 181 passengers and links two of the world’s great cities: Singapore and Los Angeles. Travellers can dine on lobster thermidor in Raffles (business) Class, grab a snack in the world’s first Executive Economy Class passenger corner, or choose from over 250 inflight entertainment options on Krisworld – SIA’s in-flight entertainment system.

But the wonder of the world’s longest flight also begs the question: what’s the world’s shortest regularly scheduled flight?

The answer: a route between the Scottish Islands of Westray and Papa Westray with a scheduled flight time of two minutes.* However, it was once flown in 58 seconds (it’s amazing what a strong tail wind can do to get you to your destination ahead of time). The flights are operated by Loganair for British Airways and utilise a Pilatus Islander prop plane. It is believed there is no beverage service, since even coffee takes three minutes to brew.

#255 ·
Originally posted by heirloom

i hope this isn't a stupid question... but why do cabin interiors always have to be umm that off whitish colour... can't it be like purple or racing green or maroon or something more comfortable?
Erm....ligher shades of colour tend to be less stress-enducing then the raging colours you are suggesting! :D

#257 ·
Well, the issue I am getting at was that I tot the US has implimented rules baring the congregation of passengers anywhere in the cabin?

#256 ·
Well, the issue I am getting at was that I tot the US has implimented rules baring the congregation of passengers anywhere in the cabin?

#259 ·
Originally posted by heirloom

not really... wouldnt it be more homely / cosy.. velvetish type of texture... instead of cpu-casing-beige... ahh.. an iPlane is needed.
Erm...possible, unless your velvet is in a lighter shade of colour?? ;)

Btw, you arent going to hug the wall during the flight, so whats this fetish for velvet? :bash: :D

#260 ·
SIA launches world's longest commercial flight

3rd Feb 2004

SINGAPORE Airlines on Tuesday launched the world's longest non-stop commercial flight when an Airbus A340-500 left for Los Angeles in an historic voyage.

Flight SQ20, with 140 passengers aboard, will arrive in Los Angeles after 16 hours, with the return flight taking 18 1/2 hours. This saves up to two hours in flying time each way from the previous one-stop route.

SIA officials said they were satisfied with the 75 per cent take-up rate for the maiden voyage and announced the launch of a second non-stop service between Singapore and New York had been brought forward from August to June.

'Tentatively we're programming it (the first flight to New York) to be on the 28th of June. I think the launch of this non-stop flight to Los Angeles has created a lot of interest from the business community,' said SIA chief executive Chew Choon Seng.

The Singapore-New York route will take 18 hours in each direction and save six hours of travel time.

Mr Chew said the carrier will consider expanding its fleet of five long-range Airbus planes if the two services are successful.

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong and SIA chairman Koh Boon Hwee both described the Singapore-Los Angeles flight as the world's longest non-stop commercial flight.

The long-range aircraft, christened A345 LeaderShip, has been modified to carry only 181 passengers to allow for more space and offers just two classes -- business and executive economy.

Passengers will have to pay a 10 per cent premium on the ticket but officials and travellers said there was a market for the flights.

Travel consultant Kelly Daoud, 35, of Palm Springs, said he bought a ticket on the inaugural flight 'to be part of history' and had also booked a seat for the upcoming Singapore-New York service.

'Businessmen will like it,' he said, while waiting to board the gleaming white aircraft at Changi Airport.

Singaporean businessman Johnny Ang, 43, who was en route to his company's headquarters in Denver, usually took a flight via Vancouver in Canada. He said the direct flight would save him time and would be less tiring.

Mr Yeo said direct flights to the United States should help deepen trade ties with Washington and encourage tourism.

Staff of the more than 1,300 US corporations operating from Singapore will connect more easily with their home bases, he said.

With the direct flights, Singapore will also make full use of an open skies agreement it signed with the United States in 1997 that removed restrictions on the capacity and frequency of flights.

Before that, Singapore had to negotiate with some countries for stop-over rights.

'Changi (Airport's) position as an aviation hub will also grow, now that it can offer direct connections from this region to nearly all parts of the world without need for an immediate stop,' Mr Yeo said. -- AFP

#261 ·
World's longest flight launched from Singapore to USA

3rd Feb 2004

SINGAPORE Airlines on Tuesday launched the world's longest non-stop commercial flight when an Airbus A340-500 left for Los Angeles in an historic voyage.

Flight SQ20, with 140 passengers aboard, will arrive in Los Angeles after 16 hours, with the return flight taking 18 1/2 hours. This saves up to two hours in flying time each way from the previous one-stop route.

SIA officials said they were satisfied with the 75 per cent take-up rate for the maiden voyage and announced the launch of a second non-stop service between Singapore and New York had been brought forward from August to June.

'Tentatively we're programming it (the first flight to New York) to be on the 28th of June. I think the launch of this non-stop flight to Los Angeles has created a lot of interest from the business community,' said SIA chief executive Chew Choon Seng.

The Singapore-New York route will take 18 hours in each direction and save six hours of travel time.

Mr Chew said the carrier will consider expanding its fleet of five long-range Airbus planes if the two services are successful.

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong and SIA chairman Koh Boon Hwee both described the Singapore-Los Angeles flight as the world's longest non-stop commercial flight.

The long-range aircraft, christened A345 LeaderShip, has been modified to carry only 181 passengers to allow for more space and offers just two classes -- business and executive economy.

Passengers will have to pay a 10 per cent premium on the ticket but officials and travellers said there was a market for the flights.

Travel consultant Kelly Daoud, 35, of Palm Springs, said he bought a ticket on the inaugural flight 'to be part of history' and had also booked a seat for the upcoming Singapore-New York service.

'Businessmen will like it,' he said, while waiting to board the gleaming white aircraft at Changi Airport.

Singaporean businessman Johnny Ang, 43, who was en route to his company's headquarters in Denver, usually took a flight via Vancouver in Canada. He said the direct flight would save him time and would be less tiring.

Mr Yeo said direct flights to the United States should help deepen trade ties with Washington and encourage tourism.

Staff of the more than 1,300 US corporations operating from Singapore will connect more easily with their home bases, he said.

With the direct flights, Singapore will also make full use of an open skies agreement it signed with the United States in 1997 that removed restrictions on the capacity and frequency of flights.

Before that, Singapore had to negotiate with some countries for stop-over rights.

'Changi (Airport's) position as an aviation hub will also grow, now that it can offer direct connections from this region to nearly all parts of the world without need for an immediate stop,' Mr Yeo said. -- AFP

#263 ·
Interesting thread. :)

Even though I've never been on board a Singapore Airlines jet, I'm very impressed by the features inside the jet for passengers. The first class cabin is the best I've seen of any airliner, the seating resembles that of small cabins (without walls).:)

I'm also impressed by the economy class on board the plane. The entertainment system has to be outstanding, and I cannot see any reason why myself or anyone else should become bored during the flight.

Just a query, what type of food do they serve to you during a flight?

#264 ·
Originally posted by Fabian

Interesting thread. :)

Even though I've never been on board a Singapore Airlines jet, I'm very impressed by the features inside the jet for passengers. The first class cabin is the best I've seen of any airliner, the seating resembles that of small cabins (without walls).:)

I'm also impressed by the economy class on board the plane. The entertainment system has to be outstanding, and I cannot see any reason why myself or anyone else should become bored during the flight.

Thanks Fabian:)

Well in economy you get a choice of 2 meals. It is usually a Western or Oriental choice, and ice cream.

The entertainment is ESSENTIAL for me especially on long hauls. Good thing is that you can change channels and pause the programme/rewind if you need to go to the lavatory.

btw I usually fly from Singapore to London, and many of the passengers are Aussies or Kiwis connecting through Singapore.

#265 ·
Originally posted by Fabian

Let me try answering this by refering to their website, but I hope others may post the pictures from a site which has a collection of airline food? Cant remember the site's address now.

Let's start with Economy class. ;)

A class like no other ....
Indeed, with our wide range of beverages and fine wines, choice of menu and KrisWorld (our superb inflight audio/video and interactive entertainment), we lavish attention on Economy Class passengers in a way you will not easily forget.

Delightful cuisine specially for you ........
Enjoy our tantalizing spread of World Gourmet Cuisine and choose from two choices of main courses. Enjoy delicious International selection and authentic Asian meals on-board our flights departing Singapore. For those who prefer something spicy, our special Kris Chilli is also available to accompany your meal. Simply ask our cabin crew during meal times.

Complementing your meal with choice beverages ........
Wine and dine onboard with our delightful selection of red and white wines, all carefully selected for your enjoyment by our wine consultants. We have a wide variety of other alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages specially for you.

Feeling peckish between meals ........
If you feel hungry anytime in between meals, you can choose from our range of snacks and light refreshments. On selected flights above 10 hours, we offer a special snack service for our passengers. On other flights, our cabin crew will be pleased to serve you biscuits or instant noodles in between meal services.

#266 · (Edited)
Experience our new Brunch dining service in Raffles Class
We have extended our contemporary, restaurant-style service to Brunch, for flights above 4 hours. Start it off with a choice of juices, fresh fruits, and cereal, followed by a delectable main course such as a tender juicy rib eye steak, served with a creamy red wine sauce, or a pan-seared escalope of salmon, served with a light dressing of tomato, lemon, and olive oil, freshly plated on board.

All these delicious cuisines are served on our new square plates, designed exclusively for Raffles Class. This service is also available on flights above 4 hours, serving lunch and dinner.

Tempting treats ...
Enjoy our delicious satay - a local delight of skewered chicken or mutton/beef pieces that are grilled to perfection and served with a tantalizing peanut sauce.

For your main course, you can look forward to up to 4 choices of international cuisine and Asian favourites. Look out for the wok symbol on your menu and pick a dish that is specially designed by one of the eight award-winning chefs in our International Culinary Panel. Or make an advance order for your favourite dish with our exclusive Book The Cook service. Click here to view the Book The Cook selection available from the various cities.

You can choose from a wide variety of snacks anytime in between meals - soups, instant noodles and biscuits. On longer flights, you can also ask our crew for fresh fruit.

Experience fine Piper Heidseick Rare Cuvée Réservée champagne, as well as a delightful selection of red and white wines, all specially selected by our renowned wine consultants.

Coffee lovers can take your pick from espresso to cappuccino ... or try our straight gourmet coffee - Brazil Santos Bourbon, Colombian Supremo and 'Kilimanjaro' Kenyan AA. Tea lovers can also look forward to a fine selection of tea, which includes Earl Grey and Camomile.

* Specialty coffees are available on Megatop 747 and Jubilee 777.

For that special touch ....
As an alternative to butter, we offer extra virgin olive oil to complete your fine dining experience.

To complement your meal, our Kris Chilli sauce which is made to an original Singapore Airlines recipe, is always available.

HIGHTLIGHTS

A new dining experience in Raffles Class

Come experience the much "talked about" contemporary, restaurant-style service on selected flights serving lunch, dinner and brunch meals.

Savour a freshly made gourmet salad, such as, drunken prawns served with baby mesclun, assorted tear-drop tomatoes with soya sesame dressing, assembled in front of you by our cabin crew.

Satisfy yourself with a delightful main course such as delicately seasoned oven-roasted lamb chops, served with mint jus, or pan roasted Chilean seabass served with miso-tomato sauce, buttered brocolini and mashed potatoes.

All these delicious dishes are served on our newly designed square plates.

Yet more choices of drinks for you......
Treat yourself to one of these drinks freshly prepared for you when you travel in First or Raffles Class .... Kilimanjaro gourmet coffee*, Iced Chocolate, Iced Mint Tea .... Or perhaps a refreshing Fruit Spritzer or a wine cooler .... Look up the complete list of drinks in our Wine/Beverage List when you fly with us.

Enjoy the designer cuisine of two new award-winning chefs
From April 2003, restaurateur-chefs Matthew Moran of Sydney and Alfred Portale of New York join the team that brings excellence in international cuisine to you.

Whether you are travelling in First or Raffles class or selected Economy class flights, look out for Moran's modern Australian dishes and Portale's New American cuisine, which have been flying with us on selected routes starting 1 September 2003! Join SIA in welcoming two extraordinary chefs to its International Culinary Panel.

Ice cream for everyone!
We all love it, don't we? Indeed, many of you are telling us how much you enjoy the ice cream after the meal. We have therefore introduced it on more flights, so look out for the different varieties as you travel with us.

#267 ·
Order your favourite dish in advance ...

Roast Lamb Chops

As part of our World Gourmet Cuisine selection, you can order your main course in advance with our exclusive Book The Cook service! With a wide menu selection from Singapore and 11 overseas stations, there is definitely something for you.

Simply select from the list of Book the Cook dishes and make your request through our Reservations Office or your travel agent at least 24 hours before flight departure. You can also make your Book The Cook meal request when you purchase your tickets online through our website. Click here to purchase your tickets through us now.

To see the Book The Cook selection available, just click on the city from which you are departing:

* Singapore
* Amsterdam
* Frankfurt
* London
* Los Angeles
* New York (John F. Kennedy and Newark)
* San Francisco
* Sydney
* Melbourne
* Hong Kong
* Taipei
* Tokyo

Book The Cook dishes are served as the main course and are therefore not Refreshment or Continental Breakfast options.

FROM SINGAPORE ...

6 oz US Rib Eye Steak

This service is available on all flights from Singapore except:
(i) flights to Kuala Lumpur and Penang.
(ii) for Refreshment or Continental Breakfast meals on these flights.
For breakfast, only dishes marked with an asterisk are available.

Western Cuisine
• 6oz US rib eye steak with creamy green peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables and garlic-mashed potatoes
• Oven-roasted corn fed chicken breast, tarragon jus and creamy polenta
• Pan-seared Chilean bass with bouillabaisse sauce, capsicum confit and kalamata olive potato
• Pappardelle with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes
• Roast lamb chops with mint jus, mesclun salad and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes
• Roasted vegetables with avocado mesclun salad on roesti potatoes, in a truffle oil and xeres vinaigrette
• Seared salmon escalope on a warm potato and snake bean salad
• Slipper lobster thermidor, buttered asparagus and slow roasted vine-ripened tomato with saffron rice
• Wild mushroom and chorizo risotto in natural jus with arugula

Singapore Specialities

• Braised soya flavoured duck with yam rice
• Chicken curry Peranakan style with bread rolls
• Nasi biryani *
• Nasi lemak *
• Singapore Chicken Rice

Japanese Cuisine
• Gyu-Don

Thai Delights
• Fish soufflé and spicy minced chicken served with pineapple rice and curried vegetables
• Green curry fish balls stuffed with prawns, served with pork in a sweet and spicy sauce

FROM AMSTERDAM

• Fillet steak in green peppercorn sauce with ratatouille and duchess potatoes
• Grilled chicken breast in herb sauce with ratatouille and mashed potatoes
• Seared NZ lamb chops in sage jus with roasted vegetables and potatoes
• Fish assam manis with spiced vegetables and steamed jasmine rice
• Opor chicken with spicy vegetables and jasmine rice
• Oriental sliced beef and vegetables with braised rice noodles
• Roast duck with plum sauce, seasonal vegetables and fried noodles
• Singapore Chicken Rice

FROM FRANKFURT

• Artichoke-tomato crusted loin of lamb in thyme sauce, French beans with bacon and gratin potatoes
• Gratinated prawns with mushrooms in brandy sauce, carrots, green beans and dill potatoes
• Pan-fried fillet of beef in three peppercorn sauce with garden vegetables and roasted potatoes
• Roast chicken breast in rosemary sauce with vegetables and country potatoes
• Salmon gratinated with feta and parmesan cheese in orange ginger sauce with vegetables and Mississippi rice
• Chicken in Thai masaman curry with vegetables and steamed rice
• Fish in Thai red curry with vegetables and steamed rice
• Honey glazed duckling with vegetables and Chinese egg noodles

FROM LONDON

• Baked fillet of cod with runner beans, pancetta and roasted pinenuts, potato and turnip mash
• Pork medallions in red onion marmalade with broccoli and potato-celery croquette
• Roast corn fed chicken breast marinated in rosemary-garlic and lemon with braised savoy cabbage
• Seafood Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow roasted vine-ripened tomato and saffron rice
• Cantonese roast duck with vegetables and steamed rice
• Chicken Teriyaki with Japanese mixed vegetables and steamed rice
• Selection of sushi with pickled ginger and condiments
• Singapore Chicken Rice

FROM LOS ANGELES

• Grilled free range chicken with fettuccine pasta and wild mushroom sauce
• Seared Chilean bass with creamy saffron sauce, baby vegetables and wild rice
• Steamed crab ravioli in creamy lobster sauce with mixed vegetables
• Chirashi Sushi
• Prawns with preserved cabbage, sugar snap peas and steamed rice
• Stir-fried pork with wood ear, enoki mushroom, bell peppers and steamed rice
• Sweet and sour fish with fried noodles
• Wok-fried black pepper chicken with carrots, zucchini, gingko nuts and steamed rice

FROM NEW YORK (JFK Int'l)

• Grilled shrimps and scallops in tarragon mustard sauce with leeks, carrots and linguini
• Pan-fried chicken in green peppercorn sauce, squash and creamy mashed potatoes
• Roasted seabass with wilted spinach and glazed crab-mashed potatoes
• Roast rack of lamb with natural jus, roasted vegetables and creamy garlic mash
• Baked Chilean bass in Oriental XO sauce with mixed vegetables and fried rice
• Stir-fried chicken in Chinese wine with seasonal vegetables and chicken flavoured rice

FROM NEW YORK (Newark Int'l)

• Chicken Wellington in perigourdine sauce with squash and wild rice
• Grilled shrimps and scallops in tarragon mustard sauce with leeks, carrots and linguini
• Parsley crusted loin of lamb with grilled vegetables and potatoes
• Mediterranean BBQ noisette of lamb with sun-dried tomato couscous
• Baked Chilean bass in Oriental XO sauce with selected vegetables and fried rice
• Stir-fried chicken in Chinese wine with seasonal vegetables and chicken flavoured rice

FROM SAN FRANCISCO

• Braised guinea fowl with creamy morel sauce, ravioli and seasonal vegetables
• Crab cake with broccoli, baby carrots, fresh asparagus and roasted potato wedges
• Pan-fried halibut with tagliatelle and pistou and sautéed vegetables
• Jumbo shrimps in Thai red curry sauce with assorted vegetables and fried rice noodles
• Steamed fish roll with ham and asparagus served with baby carrots, Chinese greens and egg noodles
• Stir-fried mussels with garlic chilli sauce, assorted vegetables and steamed rice
• Singapore Chicken Rice

FROM SYDNEY

• Grilled beef in green peppercorn sauce with seasonal vegetables and gratin potatoes
• Roast chicken breast in wild mushroom cream and gratin chat potatoes
• Seafood Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow roasted vine-ripened tomato and saffron rice
• Tasmanian salmon in wild lime butter sauce with steamed green beans and pasta
• Barramundi in black bean sauce with baby bok choy and jasmine rice
• Cantonese roast duck with plum sauce and steamed rice
• Indian lamb shank curry with vegetables and pilaff rice
• Singapore Chicken Rice

FROM MELBOURNE

• Chicken in macadamia nut crust with bush tomato coulis, roast vegetables and new potatoes
• Grilled beef in green peppercorn sauce with seasonal vegetables and gratin potatoes
• Pan-fried barramundi in native pepper sauce with sautéed vegetables and fettuccine
• Seared salmon escalope on a warm potato and French bean salad
• Indian lamb shank curry with spiced vegetables and basmati rice
• Lamb loin in Thai green curry with Asian vegetables and steamed rice
• Wok-fried rice with tender pieces of marinated chicken, egg and spring onion

FROM HONG KONG

• Grilled fillet of beef with shallot tarragon sauce, French beans, roasted pumpkin and black pepper mashed potatoes
• Pan-fried seabass with sun-dried tomato pesto, mixed vegetables and potatoes
• Stir-fried prawns and scallops with braised beans in leek and red wine vinaigrette with vegetables
• Braised assorted mushrooms in bean curd skin, seasonal vegetables and steamed rice
• Braised pork ball Shanghai style with pak choy, carrots and vegetable rice
• Chirashi Sushi
• Deep-fried salmon with garlic cloves, chu hau sauce, vegetables and steamed rice
• Steamed egg with scallops, mixed vegetables and rice
• Thai style red beef curry, selected vegetables and steamed rice

FROM TAIPEI

• Beef tournedos in red wine sauce topped with crabmeat ragout with broccoli, pumpkin, carrots and herbal mashed potatoes
• Cod fillet on saffron orange sauce with asparagus and tomato couscous
• Seafood lasagna in tomato sauce
• Braised beef with turnip in soya sauce served with kailan, shiitake, carrot and steamed rice
• Chirashi Sushi
• Steamed cod fillet flavoured with sun-dried cabbage served with Ee-Fu noodles, pumpkin and carrot
• Stir-fried rice vermicelli with shredded pork, clam meat and pumpkin

FROM TOKYO

• Grilled fillet of beef with pesto and tomato couscous
• Seafood bouillabaisse with spaghetti
• Braised seafood in hot bean sauce with mixed vegetables and fried noodles
• Chirashi Sushi
• Fried seabass with hot garlic sauce and mixed vegetables and bee hoon
• Grilled tuna with vinegared white miso and mixed seaweed sauce served with udon
• Japanese beef curry with rice
• Shouyu Ramen (Soya flavoured noodle soup with char siew and vegetables)
• Stir-fried beef with black bean sauce with assorted Chinese vegetables and fried rice
• Unagi Kabayaki

#268 ·
Oh yup..this website gives pics of the meals served
http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexMeals.html
First Class - Grilled ham steak with herb jus, sauteed mushrooms, roma tomato and potatoes

First Class - Stir fried chicken with dried chilli and rice wine, seasonal vegetables and fried rice, Garlic Bread

First Class - Prawn cocktail with American cocktail sauce, Garlic Bread

First Class - Cafe Latte

First Class - Fresh Fruit including Pineapples, Strawberry, Raspberry etc

First Class - satay with peanut sauce, duck foie gras, Oriental brooth with bamboo piths and Yunnan ham

First Class - Japanese meal

Economy Class

Raffles Class - Nasi Bryani

Economy Class - Tiger beer with some Indian style savouries.

Economy Class - fruit appetiser,noodles with chicken, cake,roll and butter.

Raffles Class - cheese selection with fruits

Raffles Class - Maki Sushi and Shrimps with dressing of your choice

#269 ·
An exquisite spread just for you ....
Wine and dine in style as you travel with us in First Class. Our highly personalized flexi-dining service gives you total control over what you want to eat, when you want to eat. Take your pick from our wide selection of cuisine and our cabin crew will be happy to serve you your meals at your own pace.

Relive the romance and grandeur of travel, as we pamper you with an exquisite spread of World Gourmet Cuisine

A special selection of scrumptious cuisine ...
Savour our renowned satay - a local delight of skewered chicken or mutton/beef pieces that are grilled to perfection and served with a tantalizing peanut sauce.

Or whet your appetite for the many fine courses ahead, with premium chilled malossal caviar - a gourmet delight, on our long haul lunch, dinner and selected supper flights.

For your main course, you can look forward to up to 4 choices of international cuisine and Asian favourites. Look out for the wok symbol on your menu and pick a dish that is specially designed by one of the eight award-winning chefs in our International Culinary Panel. Or make an advance order for your favourite dish with our exclusive Book The Cook service, available from selected stations.

Of champagne, wines and choice beverages on board ...
Experience Dom Perignon (we are one of the few exclusive airlines that serve this on board) and Krug with us. Take your pick from a fine selection of red and white wines (all carefully selected by our renowned wine consultants) as well as aperitifs and liqueurs.

On top of the classic favourites of espresso, cappuccino and cafe latte, coffee lovers now can also enjoy straight gourmet coffee such as Jamaican Blue Mountain (exclusively in First Class!), Brazil Santos Bourbon, 'Kilimanjaro' Kenyan AA and Colombian Supremo. Tea lovers can pick from a fine range of teas such as Earl Grey, Camomile and Darjeeling.

Enjoy that perfect cuppa ...

For that special touch ...
As an alternative to butter, we offer a selection of extra virgin olive oil. There is a flavour for everyone - natural, truffle, chilli and balsamic vinegar.

To complement your meal, our Kris Chilli sauce which is made to an original Singapore Airlines recipe, is always available.

Enjoy extra virgin olive oil with oven-fresh rolls

Enjoy an authentic Kyo-Kaiseki meal

Believed to have originated in the 1500s as a meal preceding the traditional Japanese tea ceremony, Kaiseki has evolved to become a unique Japanese dining custom that is both a visual feast and sensory delight to the palate.

Under the guidance of Mr Yoshihiro Murata (a member of our International Culinary Panel, the serviceware was specially developed with creative use of colours and shapes to reflect the principle of harmony fundamental to Kaiseki. With special menus planned by Kyoto-based Mr Murata (of the Kikunoi Kyoto restaurant), we present you our exquisite Kyo-Kaiseki, traditional Kaiseki served in the atmosphere of a restaurant in Kyoto.

Exclusively on Singapore Airlines, re-live the atmosphere of classical Japanese dining with Kyo-Kaiseki. Experience the traditional and exquisite Kaiseki service on our Japan flights or when you order a Japanese special meal.

#270 ·
Enjoy that special treat from Singapore Airlines!

An all-time favourite - Lobster Thermidor

As part of our World Gourmet Cuisine selection, you can order your main course in advance with our exclusive Book The Cook service! With a wide menu selection from Singapore and 11 overseas stations, there is definitely something for you.

Simply select from the list of Book The Cook dishes and make your request through our Reservations Office or your travel agent at least 24 hours before flight departure. You can also make your Book The Cook meal request when you purchase your tickets online through our website. Click here to purchase your tickets through us now.

To see the Book The Cook selection available, just click on the city from which you are departing:

• Singapore
• Amsterdam
• Frankfurt
• London
• Sydney
• Melbourne
• Los Angeles
• New York (John F. Kennedy and Newark)
• San Francisco
• Hong Kong
• Taipei
• Tokyo

Book The Cook dishes are served as the main course and are therefore not Refreshment or Continental Breakfast options.

FROM SINGAPORE ...

This service is available on all flights from Singapore except:
(i) flights to Kuala Lumpur and Penang.
(ii) for Refreshment or Continental Breakfast meals on these flights.
For Breakfast, only dishes marked with an asterisk are available.

Chicken curry with breadrolls

Western Cuisine
• 8oz US rib eye steak with creamy green peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables and garlic-mashed potatoes
• Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow roasted vine-ripened tomato and saffron rice
• Oven-roasted free range chicken breast stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese, served with cepe jus, vegetables and creamy polenta
• Pan-fried veal loin and braised veal cheek with parsnip purée, garden vegetables and sautéed mushrooms
• Pan-seared Chilean bass in bouillabaisse broth with capsicum confit and zucchini pasta
• Pappardelle with seafood
• Roast rack of lamb with mint jus, mesclun salad and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes
• Roasted vegetables with avocado mesclun salad on roesti potatoes, in a truffle oil and xeres vinaigrette
• Seared salmon escalope on a warm potato and snake bean salad

Singapore Specialities
• Braised soya flavoured duck with yam rice
• Chicken curry Peranakan style with bread rolls
• Fish porridge *
• Fish Ball Kway Teow Soup(Flat rice noodles with fish balls in broth) *
• Laksa(Slippery rice noodles in a smooth and rich seafood gravy)
• Nasi biryani *
• Nasi lemak *
• Singapore Chicken Rice
• Yu Pian Mi Fen(Singapore style rice noodle soup with sliced fish)*

Japanese Cuisine
• Kyo-Kaiseki

Thai Delights
• Fish soufflé and spicy minced chicken served with pineapple rice and curried vegetables
• Green curry fish balls stuffed with prawns, served with pork in a sweet and spicy sauce

FROM AMSTERDAM

• Fillet steak in green peppercorn sauce with ratatouille and duchess potatoes
• Grilled chicken breast in herb sauce with ratatouille and mashed potatoes
• Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow roasted vine-ripened tomato and saffron rice
• Pork fillet gratin in paprika sauce with spinach, zucchini and wild rice
• Seared NZ lamb chops in sage jus with roasted vegetables and potatoes
• Fish assam manis with spiced vegetables and steamed jasmine rice
• Opor chicken with spicy vegetables and jasmine rice
• Oriental sliced beef and vegetables with braised rice noodles
• Roast duck with plum sauce, seasonal vegetables and fried noodles
• Singapore Chicken Rice

FROM FRANKFURT

• Artichoke-tomato crusted loin of lamb in thyme sauce, French beans with bacon and gratin potatoes
• Fillet of veal in Pommery mustard sauce, asparagus with wild mushrooms and fettuccine
• Grilled knuckle of veal in dark beer sauce with Swiss chard, carrot and Bavarian bread dumplings
• Roasted chicken breast in rosemary sauce with vegetables and country potatoes
• Salmon gratinated with feta and parmesan cheese in orange ginger sauce with vegetables and Mississippi rice
• Chicken in Thai masaman curry with vegetables and steamed rice
• Fish in Thai red curry with vegetables and steamed rice
• Honey glazed duckling with vegetables and Chinese egg noodles
• Stir-fried beef in chilli and Thai sweet basil with vegetables and fried rice

FROM LONDON

• Fillet of brill in girolles sauce with almond-broccoli and buttered tagliatelle
• Fried fillet of monkfish with baked beetroot and horseradish butter, potato and celeriac mash
• Roast breast of guinea fowl stuffed with stilton cheese in portwine sauce and potato-turnip mash
• Roast corn fed chicken breast marinated in rosemary-garlic and lemon with braised savoy cabbage
• Roast fillet of lamb on lentils with vegetable stew and creamy gratin potatoes
• Chicken Teriyaki with Japanese vegetables and steamed rice
• Selection of sushi with pickled ginger and condiments
• Singapore Chicken Rice

FROM SYDNEY

• Roast chicken breast in wild mushroom cream and gratin chat potatoes
• Roast rack of lamb with natural jus, roasted vegetables and creamy garlic mash
• Tasmanian salmon in wild lime butter sauce with steamed green beans and pasta
• Veal mignon in Yarra red wine sauce with vegetables and prawn-potato mousseline
• Barramundi in black bean sauce with baby bok choy and jasmine rice
• Indian lamb shank curry with vegetables and pilaff rice
• Singapore Chicken Rice

FROM MELBOURNE

• Chicken in macadamia nut crust with bush tomato coulis, roast vegetables and new potatoes
• Pan-fried barramundi in native pepper sauce with sautéed vegetables and fettuccine
• Pan-fried veal loin in bush tomato sauce with grilled vegetables in olive oil and roasted potatoes
• Barramundi in black bean sauce with baby bok choy and fried rice
• Indian lamb shank curry with vegetables and basmati rice
• Lamb loin in Thai green curry with Asian vegetables and steamed rice
• Wok-fried rice with tender pieces of marinated chicken, egg and spring onion

FROM LOS ANGELES

• Atlantic salmon fillet with shrimps and garlic sauce and ratatouille
• Lemon herb grilled chicken on sourdough roll with salad
• Pan-seared pheasant with stuffed blini and vegetables
• 5-spiced Chilean bass with assorted vegetables and fried rice
• Crabmeat Ee-Fu noodle soup with Chinese greens
• Kow Pao chicken and steamed rice
• Nigiri Sushi

FROM NEW YORK (JFK Int'l)

• Pan-fried chicken in green peppercorn sauce, squash and creamy mashed potatoes
• Roast Long Island duck with natural jus, roasted vegetables and red skin potatoes
• Roasted seabass with wilted spinach and glazed crab-mashed potatoes
• Baked Chilean bass in Oriental XO sauce with mixed vegetables and fried rice

FROM NEW YORK (Newark Int'l)

• Chicken Wellington in perigourdine sauce with squash and wild rice
• Parsley crusted loin of lamb with grilled vegetables and potatoes
• Mediterranean BBQ noisette of lamb with sun-dried tomato couscous
• Baked Chilean bass in Oriental XO sauce with selected vegetables and fried rice

FROM SAN FRANCISCO

• Chicken breast stuffed with chorizo, papaya, red onion and herbs with potato and corn hash, fresh asparagus and baby carrots
• Jumbo scallops in raspberry vinegar sauce with baby vegetables
• Roasted Chilean bass in creamy cider vinegar sauce with roasted tomato, parsley potato, baby carrots and asparagus
• Braised quail with chestnut and Chinese sausage served with Chinese greens and noodles
• Nigiri Sushi
• Seafood rice noodle soup with Chinese greens
• Steamed sole wrapped in ham served with seasonal vegetables and fried rice
• Thai red curry chicken with broccoli, baby carrots, red bell peppers and pineapple fried rice

FROM HONG KONG

• Grilled salmon with braised green peas, artichoke and onion
• Grilled veal with jus, roasted green zucchini, yellow squash and deep-fried potatoes
• Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, red capsicum, baby yellow squash and mashed potatoes
• Portuguese style beef curry with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and steamed rice
• Braised abalone and mushroom in oyster sauce with flat noodles
• Braised Chilean bass with preserved olives, vegetables and steamed rice
• Braised Lo Hon mixed vegetables and stir-fried Ee-Fu noodles
• Lobster wanton soup with Ee-Fu noodles and Chinese greens
• Nigiri Sushi

FROM TAIPEI

• Lobster in herb butter with asparagus, capsicum and buttered potatoes
• Sea salt cured pan-fried salmon with sautéed spinach and pinenut rice
• Smoked turkey panini with Mediterranean salad
• Veal saltimbocca in lemon sauce with asparagus, capsicum and roasted potatoes
• Beef Sukiyaki with steamed rice
• Braised abalone with dried oysters in superior sauce with Chinese greens, carrot, pumpkin and chicken flavoured rice
• Nigiri Sushi
• Steamed cod fillet with preserved Chinese capers in light soya sauce with seasonal vegetables and steamed rice
• Traditional Formosa beef noodles soup

FROM TOKYO

• Crusted rack of lamb with yoghurt sauce and sautéed mixed vegetables
• Lobster Thermidor with buttered zucchini, carrots and pilaff rice with mixed peppers
• Pan-fried seabass wrapped with potato, served with red vinegar sauce and white beans
• Roast beef and mustard baguettes with seasonal salad
• Seared seabream maitake mushroom and herb flavoured tomato sauce, boiled squid and baby leeks
• Veal loin stuffed with leek and taleggio cheese in a white wine and porcini mushroom sauce with fettuccine
• Beef Sukiyaki with steamed rice
• Japanese style simmered fish topped with grated yam sauce and rice
• Nigiri Sushi

#271 ·
International Culinary Panel

A Unique Dining Experience with our International Culinary Panel
The pleasures of dining as experienced in fine restaurants can now be enjoyed by passengers in all three classes of travel with our unique World Gourmet Cuisine.

To provide you with only the best, Singapore Airlines has specially commissioned an international panel of chefs to offer great dishes from around the world. Their talents will ensure that you enjoy high standards of inflight cuisine, complemented by an equally illustrious selection of wine chosen by our wine consultants.

Get to know the esteemed members of our International Culinary Panel ...
The 8 world-acclaimed chefs on our panel are:

Georges Blanc
(Vonnas, France)

A man needing no introduction, Mr Blanc is regarded as one of the few Grand Masters of French cuisine. Widely recognized as being at the top of his profession since 1981 when he was honoured with the award of a third star from the prestigious Guide Michelin, Mr Blanc went on to receive the Chef of the Year award from Gault and Millau, obtaining their highest rating to date. A culinary perfectionist, Mr Blanc brings with him a proud history and tradition as the fourth-generation member of the Blanc family, who have served as inn keepers in Vonnas since 1872.

Gordon Ramsay
(London, United Kingdom)

Recently awarded his third Michelin star and named Chef of the Year in the UK, Mr Ramsay is Scottish by birth and was brought up in England from the age of 5. He has worked extensively in numerous places, including London and France. In October 1993, Chef Ramsay became part owner of Aubergine (a restaurant in Chelsea) where he won many accolades including two Michelin stars awarded within just three years of opening. Mr Ramsay's cooking is renowned and well appreciated for its rich flavours, whilst remaining light and healthy. He also writes books and presents his own cookery series "Passion for Flavour".

Alfred Portale
(New York, USA)

Exceeding the expectations of the toughest culinary critics, Portale has garnered a string of accolades to his name. Inducted into Who's Who in Food and Beverage in America in 1989, named the Best Chef in New York in 1993 and dubbed the 'pioneer of New American cuisine', Portale continues to impress with every creation. During his 12-year tenure at Gotham, the restaurant received four consecutive three-star reviews from The New York Times. Once a jewellery designer, the artist in him applies a superb sense of style and craftsmanship to food, interpreting New American cuisine in a unique way.

Nancy Oakes
(San Francisco, USA)

The principles that define Chef Oakes' cooking have been clear and unshakable from the beginning. She has always believed that her guests need to be comforted by her food as well as the surroundings and service, and that the "food presentation should flatter guests in a way that makes them feel personally cared for". Her restaurant, Boulevard, certainly bears testimony to these principles and was voted the number one restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area and San Francisco's favourite restaurant. Ms Oakes, our very first lady panelist, will undoubtedly add a special touch to our World Gourmet Cuisine.

Matthew Moran
(Sydney, Australia)

An early step into the culinary world at age 15 fetched Moran a wealth of experience in some of Sydney's finest restaurants. The youngest chef to receive a prestigious One Chef's Hat in the influential Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) Good Food Guide, he went on to co-own the award-winning Morans Restaurant and Café and the famed Aria. In its first year, Aria received Two Chef's Hats in the 2000 SMH Good Food Guide. With the philosophy of using the finest seasonal produce available to achieve a menu that is all at once eclectic, skilled and unpretentious, Moran presents modern Oz cooking at its best.

Satish Arora
(India)

He has cooked for kings and queens, presidents and prime ministers as well as other dignitaries and celebrities. Over the years, Mr Arora has earned international recognition and worked with many chefs from the world, developing a unique style of Indian cooking that combines traditional flavours and modern presentation. Presently the Director of Food Production at India's Taj Group of Hotels and Taj Air Caterers, the award-winning chef lends his expertise in creating a series of delightful Indian-style signature dishes and further raise the standards of Singapore Airlines Indian vegetarian meals.

Yoshihiro Murata
(Kyoto, Japan)

A third-generation chef, Mr Murata is a leading authority who has helped develop and shape Japan's culinary culture. Mr Murata has earned numerous accolades. Among these is his appointment as the Assistant Chairman of the Kyoto Japanese Culinary Association. He is currently a master chef and proprietor of the renowned Kikunoi Kyoto restaurant. Mr Murata, who lectures at several Japanese culinary schools, has published three books, presented culinary TV programmes and held several food promotions overseas.

Yeung Koon Yat
(Hong Kong)

Mr Yeung Koon Yat is a legend in the catering field of Hong Kong. He has been presented with many international awards and honours. Among them, the most illustrious ones are: "C.C.C. Gold Medal" presented by the Club Des Chefs Des Chefs (set up by the Presidents' and Kings' imperial cooks) and "Star of Excellence" presented by La Chaine des Rotisseurs. Mr Yeung, who does not use chicken powder, chicken essence or gourmet powder in his cooking, proves that not using reprocessed seasonings perfects Chinese food, making it more delicious and preserving the essence of Chinese culinary culture.

#272 ·
Special Meals for your special dietary needs ....
For passengers with special dietary requirements due to medical or religious reasons, we offer a wide selection of special meals that will meet your needs. Please place your order at least 24 hours before the flight departure through our Reservations office or your travel agent. You can also make a Special Meal request when you purchase your tickets online through our website. Click here to purchase your tickets through us now.

Religious Meals
• Kosher Meal (Pre-packed and sealed; contains meat)
• Muslim Meal (No alcohol/pork/ham/bacon)
• Hindu (Non-Vegetarian) Meal (No beef/veal; contains other types of meat, may include pork)
• Vegetarian Meals
(i) Raw Vegetarian Meal (Only fruits and vegetables)
(ii) Asian Vegetarian - Oriental (No meat of any sort; can contain dairy products; cooked Chinese-style)
(iii) Asian Vegetarian - Indian (non-strict) (No meat of any sort; can contain dairy products; cooked Indian-style)
(iv) Indian Vegetarian (strict; suitable for Jain) (No meat of any sort; no onion/garlic/ginger/all root vegetables; cooked Indian-style)
(v) Western Vegetarian (non-strict; lacto-ovo) (No meat of any sort; can contain dairy products; cooked Western-style)
(vi) Western Vegetarian (strict) (No meat of any sort; no dairy products; cooked Western-style)

Medical Meals
• Bland Meal (No "irritants" e.g. black pepper, chilli powder, caffeine, cocoa, alcohol)
• Diabetic Meal (No sugar; limited salt)
• Fat Free Meal (No fats/fried foods/dairy products; preferred cooking styles are poaching/boiling)
• Fruit Platter Meal (Fresh fruits only)
• Gluten Free Meal (No wheat/rye/barley/oats in any form)
• High Fibre Meal (Contains items with high roughage e.g. fruits/vegetables/wholegrain products/legumes/nuts; avoid white flour products/refined cereals)
• Low Sodium, No Salt Added Meal (Avoid naturally-salted/sodium-added processed foods e.g. Baking powder/soda, MSG; no salt added during preparation)
• Low Calorie Meal (Limited fats/sauces/gravy/fried items; limited sugar-rich items)
• Low Fat/Cholesterol Meal (No animal fats but poly-unsaturated fatty acids allowed; limited fats/sauces/gravy fried items; no butter/cream/whole milk cheese; only lean meat allowed)
• Low Fibre/Residue Meal (Limited fibrous items eg. fruit/legumes/vegetables/wholegrain products)
• Low Purine Meal (Avoid food with uric acid; Lots of fruits/vegetables recommended)
• Low Protein Meal (Limited meat and recommended protein weight < 15 gm; limited eggs/dairy products/salt)
• Non Carbohydrate Meal (No starch and carbohydrates in any form)
• Non Lactose Meal (No lactose/dairy products eg. milk/milk solids/casein/cheese/cream/butter/margarine)
• Soft Fluid Meal (Mainly sieved/soupy items)
• Semi Fluid Meal (Mainly pureed/minced/easily digestible items eg. pureed vegetables/potatoes/fruits, minced/homogenized meat, porridge/congee)
• Ulcer Diet Meal (Contains easily digestive plain poached/broiled foods e.g. white meat/fish; no acidic food/fruits)
• Nut-Free Meal Non-Strict (Meal does not contain nut or nut derivatives)
• Nut-Free Meal Strict (Meal does not contain nut or nut derivatives; packet nut snacks will not be served on board)

Child & Infant Meals
• Baby Meal (Suitable for infants less than 1 year old; 01 jar each of main course, vegetables & dessert)
• Postweaning Meal (Suitable for infants between 1-2 years old; more substantial than Baby Meal; easy to bite/chew and digestible)
• Child Meal (Suitable for children between 2-7 years old; less substantial than adult meal; easy to bite/chew with items attractive to children)

Others
• Seafood Meal (Meat used must be fish/other seafood only)
• Oriental Meal (Meal is cooked Chinese-style)
• Japanese Meal (For First Class and available from Singapore and selected stations only)
• Book The Cook service (For First and Raffles Class only; please look into 'Book The Cook' for more details.)

#275 ·
3rd Feb 2004

SINGAPORE Airlines on Tuesday launched the world's longest non-stop commercial flight when an Airbus A340-500 left for Los Angeles in an historic voyage. Flight SQ20, with 140 passengers aboard, will arrive in Los Angeles after 16 hours, with the return flight taking 18 1/2 hours. This saves up to two hours in flying time each way from the previous one-stop route.

SIA officials said they were satisfied with the 75 per cent take-up rate for the maiden voyage and announced the launch of a second non-stop service between Singapore and New York had been brought forward from August to June. 'Tentatively we're programming it (the first flight to New York) to be on the 28th of June. I think the launch of this non-stop flight to Los Angeles has created a lot of interest from the business community,' said SIA chief executive Chew Choon Seng.

The Singapore-New York route will take 18 hours in each direction and save six hours of travel time. Mr Chew said the carrier will consider expanding its fleet of five long-range Airbus planes if the two services are successful.

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong and SIA chairman Koh Boon Hwee both described the Singapore-Los Angeles flight as the world's longest non-stop commercial flight. The long-range aircraft, christened A345 LeaderShip, has been modified to carry only 181 passengers to allow for more space and offers just two classes -- business and executive economy. Passengers will have to pay a 10 per cent premium on the ticket but officials and travellers said there was a market for the flights.

Travel consultant Kelly Daoud, 35, of Palm Springs, said he bought a ticket on the inaugural flight 'to be part of history' and had also booked a seat for the upcoming Singapore-New York service. 'Businessmen will like it,' he said, while waiting to board the gleaming white aircraft at Changi Airport.

Singaporean businessman Johnny Ang, 43, who was en route to his company's headquarters in Denver, usually took a flight via Vancouver in Canada. He said the direct flight would save him time and would be less tiring. Mr Yeo said direct flights to the United States should help deepen trade ties with Washington and encourage tourism.

Staff of the more than 1,300 US corporations operating from Singapore will connect more easily with their home bases, he said. With the direct flights, Singapore will also make full use of an open skies agreement it signed with the United States in 1997 that removed restrictions on the capacity and frequency of flights. Before that, Singapore had to negotiate with some countries for stop-over rights.