SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Favourite Clubs & Bars

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Maroon Grown 
#1 ·
For those hardcore clubbing guys, which is your top 5 favourite clubs in Brisbane. Including Bars as well. Mine are -

1. The Family - definitley the best in Brisbane and probably Australia, haven't been there in a while tho but it's farken huge and the chicks are adorable :D

2. The Monastery - I think is pretty good, underground trance is good once in a while...

3. The Empire Hotel
4. Regatta Hotel - The toilets will freak you out big time.
5. Cesars, Fridays or Mercury - all ok since they are in the CBD...

:D

#2 ·
Dont go out much anymore, and being gay with a partner thats not big on the straight clubs, heres my list.

1. Family - the ultimate in a great night out partying, I like the different areas, where you can dance or chill out and the music is always good.

2. The Wickham - a few years ago, before all the changes, it was one of the best clubs in Brissie, still great club for a dance, or quick spin on the pokies, and its great to be able to get outside to chill out.

3. The Beat - Dont ever stay for too long, cos it gets annoying, but its good for a laugh, and my best mate loves the girly crap, and sometimes the back rooms are good.

4. The Press Club - Great chill out place to meet before you go out. Fantastic Decor too.

I dont really have a number 5. But what I will say is, when we do go out, if we are with a bunch of mates its almost always a great night out!!!

#3 ·
1. Family - For the reasons stated above

2. Monastery - Love this place, goes off especially Saturday nights. Hottest girls in Brisbane here.

3. Sunbar - Nice funky bar, great atmosphere & crowd.

4. Empire - Great alternative crowd, good tunes, never get refused entry no matter what state you're in!! Lol

5. Main Squeeze - For their Majito's!! :D A couple of them & i'm set.

BTW, has anyone been to Colombian yet? I saw it advertised in The Scene mag about a month or so ago, Kid Kenobi was playing there as part of his national tour.

#4 ·
1. The Wickham - a few years ago as GMAC said. The good old days of the dancing downstairs with the departure lounge upstairs. Oh the good old days

:crazy2:

2. The Beat - only in small doses, the trashyness turns my stomach after a while.

3 - Technomadiscotech - When it was still around.

4 - MP's

---------------------
The worst gay venue in Brisbane would be the Sportsmans. Someone please demolish it.

#5 ·
1. The Monastery - awesome pumping music
2. Birdee Num Nums - chicks chicks chicks. gets a little too packed sometimes though
3. The Regatta - love the atmosphere here
4. Fridays - the bar on the right of the stairs - plays better music (not top 40 shit)
5. The Vic - love the vic on a thursday night

Ive never been to the Family but btw everyone goes on about it, im sure it would be in my top 5. damn freinds never wanna go there!!!

#6 ·
Well, they may not be the classiest or the coolest, but dammit they get my vote anyway: The three best:

3 - The vic - kareoke and 2 for 1.

2 - Any irish pub in town - anywhere that's got guiness or kilkenny gets my vote :cheers:

and the number one pub in the WORLD is:

1 - THE R.E. in toowong. Live band, bundy draught, sports on the big screen, you can get in with just pluggers and boardies on - what more do ya need in a pub?!?!

#7 ·
Leesome said:
Well, they may not be the classiest or the coolest, but dammit they get my vote anyway: The three best:

3 - The vic - kareoke and 2 for 1.

2 - Any irish pub in town - anywhere that's got guiness or kilkenny gets my vote :cheers:

and the number one pub in the WORLD is:

1 - THE R.E. in toowong. Live band, bundy draught, sports on the big screen, you can get in with just pluggers and boardies on - what more do ya need in a pub?!?!
hell yeah. these are the types of aussie bogan pubs that i would go to to chill, watch sports or check out the talent on uni nights! nice picks man! :cheers:

#9 · (Edited)
My Favorite?

Family on Sunday Night is pretty good though myself and a few friends are trying to get some of the music format changed. It is already Australia's Best nightclub and is world class - it just needs better music. More the style of Arq in Sydney.

Wickham - always a fun night to be had, even if it is just a pub with a few lasers. The vibe and boys are usually pretty good - and often dirty:)

Fringe - funky, typically Brisbane in many ways.

The Beat - you can always count in the beat to NEVER change - in the 10 years I have been in Brisbane it has always remained the same.

Columbian - watch out for this one in the future.

#11 ·
Family is the best on Sunday nights. Mailbox used to be cool but they seemed to have stopped doing that. I guess they didnt want to be trashy like the beat.

The Beat is cool for what it is. I think it could certainly do with a make over inside and out, and please please please change the music format on a Sunday night. 80's retro is just so, well, 1983. And whats with Trixie Laumont? Isn't her 15 mins of fame up?

OOOOh, whats this Columbian? Is it gay? I think Brisbanes BIGGEST problem is it needs more gay venues... The Wickham (not my thing) and The Beat are the only two soley gay clubs in Brisbane. Family is gay friendly any night but its still not gay.

I'd love another club along the lines of The Beat to liven things up a bit.

#12 ·
I thought I got out quite a lot - but have never been to the Family, so am obviously missing out! I'm really not a valley person, more into the city pubs/clubs. I have been to the Beat once - but not being gay it's definately not in my top 5 lol! (and I have no intention of going back anytime soon)

Leesome - go the irish pubs! I agree with you there!!

I have no top five really, I just go to the following more often than others:
O'Malleys, Port Office, The Vic, The Regatta (tho haven't been in a while), Embassy, Chill Bar... I've probably missed quite a few, but as I said, don't really have a top selection. Oh, I would like to say that I HATE The Exchange!!

#13 ·
Man I am totally out of the loop, I haven't even heard of, or been to some of these places mentioned. Maybe at 35 I'm past it!!!

Is the Monastery the converted church in the Valley, close to the GPO bar?

I like the Fringe Bar, the Press Club, and the more Irish bar in Dooleys. Some of the places in the Valley Mall area seem OK, but some are dingy.

In the City I like the Irish bars, it's a pity PJ's dissapeared, I don't think the "Union Jack" refurbishment of the site is as good. The Brewhouse could be OK, the Victory is usually OK (not upstairs though), especially if you are looking to pull. I'm not so keen on the Stock Exchange on the other side of the street. Port Office is OK, and I should get round to going to Fridays again. Criterian has potential.

Mary Street seems to have dissapeared, and I was shocked when I came back from the UK to see City Rowers had gone (a tacky place I know, but it always was at least busy). Her Majestys seems to have gone quiet as well, it used to popular with all types.

The Chill bar gives a good view of everyone passing by Queen St of an afternoon, and I keep meaning to go to the bar over looking Elizabeth St at the Myer Centre. The new refurbishment of the Central Station (Filhelly Arms I think) bar has potential, but I wish they had made the window that allows you to see the trains at Central as you drink in the bar bigger.

I first stared going out in Brisbane around 1988, some of the popular (or infamous) places I remember going to are,

Cybills (Ann st, near the blood bank)

the Lexington Queen (site of the strip club under Jo-Jos on Edward)

Transformers (now the Adrenlin bar, and PS, hasn't that place got quiet?)

Charlottes (now the Stock Exchange)

Rosies Tavern (on Edward St)

Wall St (about the 10th floor of the building opposite the Magic Kebab shop on Edward St, a real dive of a place)

the Underground at the top of Caxton St (was very popular for a time)

and perhaps the worst of them all, the Gig

#14 ·
Hey, does anyone remember the Dome on adelaide street (is it adelaide? i think so... I only know it when I'm stumbling)... it's now somethin like the aqua bar or some shit...
THIS WAS THE BOMB at first year college... always dodgy as shit, but $5 jugs of SPIRITS!! man... the good 'ol days...

#15 ·
Here is my list of NC's, and Bars in Fortitude Valley

Nightclubs – Fortitude Valley!

Monastery Nightclub
Arena
Bad Girls
The Bowery
BarSoma
The Beat Megaclub (Gay)
Cabaret Club The
DON 1
Family (Gay on Sundays)
The Zoo
Tony's Nite Club
Bravo Wine Bar & Bistro
GPO Hotel
Vino's
The Mustang Bar
Fringe Bar
Dooleys Hotel
Mango Bar
Double Helix
The Empire Hotel
Twelve Night Club
Jubilee Hotel
The Tivoli
The Indi Temple
Ward 13b (Goth)
The Columbian
Ja Ja's Lounge
Sun Bar
Ric's Cafe Bar
Cockatoo Club (Gay)
Grrrl Bar (Gay)
The Depot
Garuva Bar
Rockafellas
Press Club
Royal George Hotel
The Troubadour
Boom!
Shamrock Hotel
The Elephant & Wheelbarrow Traditional British Pub
Alarm Night Club
Chelsea Club & Bar The
Do & Be Karaoke Box
Technomad Disco-Tech
The Matrix
Level One on Wickham
Trout
Euphoria Niteclub
The Den (Gay)
Heat Night Club
Heaven
Hellfire Club
Kindle
Probe Club (Gay)
Red Garter The
Number 12 Lounge Bar
Birdee Num Num
Squeeze on Brunswick
Belushi's Bar
The Healer
Morning Glory (day dance club)
Wickham Hotel (Gay)

If you know of any others that have opened up let me know:)

#16 ·
While I'm on my horse of high ( :horse: ) - can we make make this thread about the WORST five pubs/clubs etc in brissie as well?!!? ....... SWEET! I'l start then shall I?!

I don't acutally have five... there's only really one in brissie that I hate and that's the EXCHANGE!!!

What the hell is eveyone in brissie's obsession with this place?!? The drinks are expensive, the music's crap, the people are rude and pretentious as shit, the place CONSTANTLY reeks of vomit.... ummm that's all I got for now. But BOO!!! :gaah:

#20 ·
Leesome said:
While I'm on my horse of high ( :horse: ) - can we make make this thread about the WORST five pubs/clubs etc in brissie as well?!!? ....... SWEET! I'l start then shall I?!

I don't acutally have five... there's only really one in brissie that I hate and that's the EXCHANGE!!!

What the hell is eveyone in brissie's obsession with this place?!? The drinks are expensive, the music's crap, the people are rude and pretentious as shit, the place CONSTANTLY reeks of vomit.... ummm that's all I got for now. But BOO!!! :gaah:
Exchange is great. Always hot chicks there and fairly easy to pick up. But it does have the biggest wanker bouncers in the whole of Brisbane. I wish someone would do a drive-by on those guys.

#21 ·
Ja Ja lounge is gone (bless it), Technomad (formerly Tube) is now Indie Temple. I reckon Double Helix is gone too - was down that alley next to the Arena (relly shitty location).

Morning Glory was near the Beat, it was an upstairs recovery joint. Made me laugh all the speedfreaks in their bright orange rave kit out front at 10am on a Sunday while everyone else was out shopping for clothes in that same strip :) Not sure if its still there but it wouldnt surprise me.

My top 5 would be along the lines of:

Glass Bar
Mango Room
Bowery (although can be a bit too crowded)
Fringe
Rics!

Tube was great in its day, as was Mantra (now the site of Troubador).

Never forget my first foray in the Brisbane club scene having moved from Adelaide. My mate and I were following a girl who wanted to show us around, first she took us to the Wickham and then upstairs at the Beat. Not too sure what her caper was but it was enough to freak me out enough to no trust strange girls in the Valley again ;)

#22 ·
Last time I went to the Exchange I thought it sucked as well. But the worst clubs within Brisbane and the surrounding areas would be Brisbane Underground (because the dress code is embarrassing and yet you can't wear any head gear of any sort), Players (Ipswich's only night club and it sucks haha) and Hotel Indooroopilly (too small and people inside the club don't even look 18?)

#23 ·
Shit Im old........... When I started going out around 1988 there was Hot Gossip (changed to Lexington Queen and is now showgirls in Albert St). Images, Sybills (Rumours), Transformers (where Adrenalin is now) the Old Underground at Petrie Terrace. Then after that there was the Gig, Grand Orbit. I basically stopped going out around the days that the Port Office was pumping. Marriage fucks your single life and going out days up really. :)

The worst place was Mary St on a Thursday night, bad because it stunk like shit and there was litteraly people pissing at the bar because they couldn't be bothered walking to the toilets. People would root behind speakers and pot plants and man there were some sluts in there.............

#24 ·
Players in Ipswich is scary, I have been to some incredible holes around the world, especially when I was in the Navy, and Players would be up there with the worst.

For the old boys reminiscing, Arizonas in the Mall used to be a bit of a wild spot, full of army guys, who could cause trouble, but also with a lot of slappers. Then it changed it's name to 3 Monkeys or something like that, closed down, and since the late 90's has been O'Malleys Irish Bar.

#26 ·
columbian is near fringe. it is shite. don't worry. mind you, i went when it first opened up, so it could be a bit better now.
exchange sucks. mainly due to all the wankers inside.
depot is crap too.

bowery is good. family. empire. birdee's.
regatta, chalk and normbandy have their moments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.