SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Penang-Butterworth Underwater Tunnel

79K views 307 replies 57 participants last post by  han29 
#1 ·
What is the status of the Penang-Butterworth Underwater Tunnel after the MOU which was signed with a Chinese company on 28th April last year? It has been almost a year now.

#3 ·
I guess it a hard thing to do..it cross a port..if they build it now.the port progress will be effected. If they want the port to grow.need to korek the sea to make it deeper..if it is too deep,tunnel would be more expensive..

There is also the fed.they manage privatization of road.EIA,foreign investment and relationship..png don't have enough $$$ to be a guarantor.it have to come from the fed

Well,thats my educated guess.the same could be said with ali crazy selat melaka bridge..china won't make any money,instead will lose money building all this foreign infra..they do it to for glory of their know-how.build relationship n influence.and that mean the fed.and they won't risk pissing them off.n png unlike selangor don't maintain a good relation with the fed.

And there will always voices that argue better to spent on urban transit than another car oriented project.NIMBYism which is strong in png will be in arms,for whatever thing they think they lost.

Other thing.is the p2x.u'll get into trouble if build another mega project when the current one aren't finished yet and aren't even fully utilities for lots more years.

Don't get me wrong.it would be build eventually.but not anytime soon.

#4 ·
Well its a good thing they are thinking about the future and not in the last minute where things can get messy... Take the KL MRT for example...

#5 ·
Actually the tunnel had been in plan for years!!.. it supposed to link BORR png 1st bridge n PORR..

Maha(raja)thir himself approved the tunnel as the 2nd link on his way out of office b4 clever duo khoo n dolah brough it down south..

#6 ·
I hope LGE and state government not talking **** only about this project. But the detailed time frame given make sense, provided all the plans and money fall into place. It's workable if the implementation is there like they always preach. it is still long time to go, now at feasibility study stage. it will take years for the first hoarding to put up but i hope they will come good. Just being optimistic

#7 ·
No lah.i think hes trying to buy time and at the same time very good at rebranding of old shit to make it new gold..(and then claim it as his own.)

The tunnel need
1)PORR now rebrand and slightly realigned as PIRR.

2) reclaimation of gurney drive, which will actually fund the projects.and maybe on the mainland

Malaysian are not the brightes of folks:lol:..people are being soo +ve on the rebrand while some time ago are really against it.

Not expecting the tunnel anytime soon.it should be the last thing to be build..i guess we see 1st) reclaimation. 2) development 3) PORR(I mean PIRR) then finally the tunnel.

My guess. Bidding, signing,raising fund and reclaiming alone will take more than 2 General election time.

#13 · (Edited)
c'mon any news here?

Any renderings and stuffs to show?

Wow.... this was super fast as well!!! When nearing Elections, everything suddenly gets moving at 400km/h. :lol: :lol:

Malaysia-China firm lands RM8 billion Penang-Butterworth Undersea Highway Tunnel, other road projects in Penang
Latest | The Star | By HAN KAR KAY | Updated: Thursday February 28, 2013 MYT 1:22:22 PM
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.as...4007&sec=nation#136202936971497&if_height=416
GEORGE TOWN: The Penang state government has awarded the (open) tender to construct several major roads and a tunnel on the island to Malaysia-China joint venture Consortium Zenith BUCG Sdn Bhd.

The projects involved the 4.2km Gurney Drive-Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu expressway, 4.6km Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu-Bandar Baru Air Itam bypass (four-lanes), 6.5km Penang-Butterworth Tunnel and a 12km road connecting Tanjung Bungah and Teluk Bahang (four lanes).

Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the tender has been awarded but subject to the contract to be signed.

"The project is estimated to cost less than RM8bil," he told reporters here on Thursday.

MORE TO COME

#14 ·
RM8 billion for a underground tunnel for a state whose GDP is only 8 percent of the national GDP and Malaysiakini writes and vox populi called the RM8 billion HSR project robbing our underpants and evil.

Terenganu desire for HSR makes more sense.

Bet hey, iit gets approved, its another good way to get to the island for nasi kandar ,hopefully the nasi kandar operators are not priced off the island by then.

#17 ·
Indeed tomkat, both sides look out for themselves. But then I see both initiatives as worthwhile. HSR can spur a lot of development around its destinations and the undersea tunnel can relieve the traffic on the Penang Bridge, while looking slightly more aesthetically pleasing :cheers1:

#18 ·
8 billions can build a fine public transportation system than just more rooms for car. Which latter u have to subsidies both the oil as well as maintenance.

I guess a tunnel for PT should have cost at least half as much as a car tunnel.

#19 ·
^^

That got me thinking though, what influences the cost difference? Is it down to tunnel size?

#20 ·
I suppose the size, the depth, the land beneath. Design and complexity

Must be careful no. They wanna build across a port (which itself is shallow) wrong move and business would move to the planned Thailand build Myanmar port.

Politicians can point fingers at each other but at the end they already /going to be stinking rich. So guess who going to pick up the pieces

#21 ·
Oh dear, now I see what's bringing the cost projections up. The tunnel itself can't resurface as close as possible to the shore, thanks to that port. And we don't want to disturb the foundations of the port either.

Politicians can point fingers at each other but at the end they already /going to be stinking rich. So guess who going to pick up the pieces
Sob.. my taxes.... :badnews:

#22 ·
Oh dear, now I see what's bringing the cost projections up. The tunnel itself can't resurface as close as possible to the shore, thanks to that port. And we don't want to disturb the foundations of the port either.

Sob.. my taxes.... :badnews:
a bit doubt if this uses our tax money, as you know in penang, federal not funding for most of the projects.

**later someone become too sensitive because mentioned facts about "federal"^^

#25 ·
^^

Besar dowh! :lol: Well on with the undersea tunnel, I belive it should remain as part of Penang's future road network plan. Best to bring it out once both bridges begin to approach their design capacity. And may it remain as an undersea tunnel. One can have too many bridges you know :nuts:

#27 ·
I believe LGE led government jumped the gun by announcing the signing off this project. We have yet to see detailed Enviromental Assesment Impact study which gonna give them a lot of headache later. Not including public consultation which gonna delay and drive up the cost even higher. It's a nice try by Penang government before the election. I'd rather they let developers reclaim another Tanjung Pinang or The Light and make them pay for LRT lines than another link between mainland and the island.

At least build PORR first.

#30 ·
most of the support i read are people living at north of mainland, they are hoping to have the tunnel so they could shorten their journey to the island.

also, some suggested this would be another alternative and lesser the traffic concerntration to travel all way just to access the bridge...so, less traffic congestion

and lastly, of course about development of Seberang Jaya Utara and also alternativ route when one of the bridge broke down (e.g recent repairation of penang bridge causes massive jam)

these are all the positive comments about

#33 ·
Land swapping still involved public property. Like saying we swap infrastructure with oil reserve.

Anyway for all I know the plan are always a tunnel on the north channel. Dr M on his final days has approved the northern link. Just before both dollah and khoo then move it south

Which is still in my opinion a stupid move

#34 ·
mahathir approved it? never heard before. Maybe you can show us your reference if you have it.

even the 1st bridge, mahathir contributed nothing. the PLUS webpage somehow twisted the history and add some "contribution" for Mahathir.^^

#37 ·
regardless of politics, it's time for Penang to have its own pet projects. if it can be funded without any tax burden on the people, then why not? it was already in the pipeline years ago... it will be needed one day. build it now rather than having to deal with a higher cost in the future.

#38 ·
I had my vacation last two weeks at Shanghai and found out how convenient to cross Huangpu river either via bridge, mrt ,tunnel or ferry. I asked a taxi driver how many bridge or tunnel available here and he said total about 10. Beside tunnel and second penang bridge, Penang ferry terminal need to be renovated provide good comfortable level to the users.

#42 ·
^^ Sarawak's GDP is bigger than what many Malaysians never realised is simply because of primary industries including O/G. Divided by a small base population, you get high GDP per capita. This high per capita is reflected amongst the "business class" of Sarawakians.

As for Penang. Penang has a very high levels of traditional businesses that may not necessary reflect in GDP. This is because many Chinese or even the Mamaks have inheritary businesses that are proprietary and a lack of reporting to the authorities and tax filings. In many countries internationally, they called this as "informal economy". (comparing to Selangor/KL, even some restaurants or hawker centres are run by Sdn Bhd)

Our manufacturing era is long gone. In fact today, manufacturing is no longer the no.1 sector in Malaysia - taken over by Services. Many of the manufacturing SMEs in Penang are unfortunately doing very lacklustrely and some have shifted overseas. But more importantly, due to geographical reasons, some of the Penang-based companies produce some of their outputs from KL/Selangor or places like Kulim instead.

Penang needs to boost its infrastructure and encourage the growth of Services. With this, then we can expect more Commercial-type Towers and Shopping Malls to rise in Penang.

Penang, like other states in Malaysia, have to control their talent outflows to Greater KL.

#44 ·
^^ Sarawak's GDP is bigger than what many Malaysians never realised is simply because of primary industries including O/G. Divided by a small base population, you get high GDP per capita. This high per capita is reflected amongst the "business class" of Sarawakians.

As for Penang. Penang has a very high levels of traditional businesses that may not necessary reflect in GDP. This is because many Chinese or even the Mamaks have inheritary businesses that are proprietary and a lack of reporting to the authorities and tax filings. In many countries internationally, they called this as "informal economy". (comparing to Selangor/KL, even some restaurants or hawker centres are run by Sdn Bhd)

Our manufacturing era is long gone. In fact today, manufacturing is no longer the no.1 sector in Malaysia - taken over by Services. Many of the manufacturing SMEs in Penang are unfortunately doing very lacklustrely and some have shifted overseas. But more importantly, due to geographical reasons, some of the Penang-based companies produce some of their outputs from KL/Selangor or places like Kulim instead.

Penang needs to boost its infrastructure and encourage the growth of Services. With this, then we can expect more Commercial-type Towers and Shopping Malls to rise in Penang.
Penang do not need too much shopping malls like what KL have, Penang have its own unique identity

#46 ·
Jajaran Jambatan Pulau Pinang kedua dibincang 31 Julai

27/7/2001

KUALA LUMPUR 26 Julai - Kementerian Kerja Raya dan Kerajaan Negeri Pulau Pinang akan mengadakan perjumpaan pada 31 Julai ini bagi menentukan jajaran yang akan diguna untuk membina Jambatan Pulau Pinang yang kedua.

Menteri Kerja Raya, Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu berkata, kedua-dua pihak akan memilih salah satu antara tiga jajaran yang telah dikenal pasti dalam perjumpaan antaranya dan Ketua Menteri Pulau Pinang, Tan Sri Koh Tsu Koon pada Selasa depan.

``Kita akan lihat jajaran mana yang lebih ekonomik, di tempat mana yang boleh mengatasi masalah kesesakan,'' katanya ketika menjawab soalan tambahan Chong Eng (DAP-Bukit Mertajam) di Dewan Rakyat hari ini.

Samy berkata, jajaran yang telah dikenal pasti ialah jajaran utara sepanjang 9.2 kilometer dari Bagan Jermal ke Bagan Ajam dengan anggaran pembinaan RM2.3 bilion, jajaran tengah sepanjang 7.8 kilometer dari lebuh raya Jelutong ke Butterworth berharga RM2.5 bilion.

Artikel Penuh: http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/inf...aysia&sec=Parlimen&pg=pa_04.htm#ixzz2MXVLQwt2
© Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.